how to change spark plugs - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > Discussion - Technical > 2.5 Liter Gas

2.5 Liter Gas Discussion area for the 2.5 liter gas engine.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2010, 02:20 AM

Car: 2007 Beetle 2.5L gas
Default how to change spark plugs

hey guys, my wifes car is a 07 VW new beetle, 2.5 L gas, we are getting some sucky gas mileage, 25 instead of 40, has 75000.0 miles on it, spark plugs have never been changed, i figure it is time, how do i change them for this model. I pulled the plastic engine cover off and saw the spark plug location, and saw that there is some kind of connector over them, can someone take me from there? thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2010, 11:51 AM

Car: 2009 NBC Harvest Moon

40mpg on a 2.5l???

I haven't seen an adult since I was a kid!
Old 12-25-2010, 04:29 PM
Member Sponsor

Car: '05 Vert "Dark Flint Limited Edition"
Thumbs up Wow!

40mpg = WOW! Rivals a diesel!

EPA 20/28, I want to know the secret!

MORAV
'01 Corvette Convertible, Magnetic Red, Light Oak Top, Light Oak Leather Interior
'96 Suburban LT 2500, 454BB, Summit White, Neutral Leather Interior
'95 Camaro Z28 Convertible, Polo Green, Black Top, Tan Leather Interior
Old 12-25-2010, 05:45 PM
treiber gefunden

Car: 2004 CONVERTIBLE GLS 2.0L

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyOtherRidesAVette View Post
40mpg = WOW! Rivals a diesel!

EPA 20/28, I want to know the secret!

MORAV
So does GM, Ford, Toyota... and the list goes on.
Old 12-25-2010, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blalockchiro View Post
hey guys, my wifes car is a 07 VW new beetle, 2.5 L gas, we are getting some sucky gas mileage, 25 instead of 40, has 75000.0 miles on it, spark plugs have never been changed, i figure it is time, how do i change them for this model. I pulled the plastic engine cover off and saw the spark plug location, and saw that there is some kind of connector over them, can someone take me from there? thanks
Those connectors are the coil packs; there is one for each cylinder. In order to change the spark plugs, you need to remove them. It has been a few months since I changed the plugs on my wife’s car, but this is generally how you proceed:
1. There are some small plastic clips that hold the harness to these coil packs in place. You need to carefully pry these clips up to have enough slack in the harness to pull the coil packs up and off of the spark plugs.

2. Gently pull the coil packs off of the spark plugs one at a time. I would recommend working on one spark plug at a time so that you don’t accidently put the wrong coil pack on the wrong spark plug. There is a special tool that you can use for this, but I don’t think this is necessary.

3. Remove the spark plugs with the correct size spark plug socket.

4. Check the gap on the new spark plugs and adjust with a spark plug gap tool. Note, the gap on some spark plugs is not adjustable, make sure to check if the gap on the plugs that you buy is adjustable. The correct gap for my 06 Beetle with the 2.5 liter engine is 1 to 1.1 mm, make sure to verify this for your car.

5. I would recommend putting some antiseize compound on the threads of the new spark plugs to make them easier to remove next time. This is particularly important to do on cars that have aluminum cylinder heads.

6. Start screwing in the new spark plug making sure not to cross thread it. A good tip (from Haynes-Chilton manuals) is to use a short length of rubber hose that fits over the tip of the spark plug. If the spark plug starts to cross thread, the rubber hose will slip, preventing you from damaging your cylinder head.

7. Tighten the spark plug to the correct torque using a torque wrench. Again, the correct torque for my car is 25 Nm.

8. Replace the coil packs. You can purchase a small pack of “boot grease” from the parts store for about $2.00. This boot grease makes it easier to remove the coil packs next time.

9. Carefully replace the wiring harness for the coil packs and close the caps that hold it in place.
Miscellaneous Notes:
1. I believe this took me an hour or two, and the parts were about $30-$40. The dealer would probably charge about $150.

2. 3/8 drive torque wrenches are not expensive, but you can “rent” them from many parts stores for free. If you go to a parts store like AutoZone, they will charge you a deposit, but you get the deposit back when you return the tool.

3. There is a recall on the coil packs for some of these cars. The dealer replaced the coil packs on my wife’s car for free a couple of months ago.

4. I believe the original spark plugs for these cars are NGK’s, but you would probably have to order these from the parts store. If you buy spark plugs that are not original equipment, make sure to check that the spark plugs are physically identical in size to the spark plugs that you took out of the car.
Let me know if you have any questions, and I will try to help.
pstur1
Old 12-25-2010, 06:30 PM
Member Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Arce View Post
So does GM, Ford, Toyota... and the list goes on.
So does GM, Ford, Toyota, what?

EPA estimate for the 2.5 is 20/28. 40 is a far cry...

MORAV
Old 12-25-2010, 08:54 PM
treiber gefunden

Quote:
So does GM, Ford, Toyota, what?

EPA estimate for the 2.5 is 20/28. 40 is a far cry...

MORAV
Your quote "I want to know the secret" which I assumed was referring to getting 40mpg. Of course is a far cry hence my sarcastic remark "so does GM, Ford, Toyota and the list goes on"
Old 12-25-2010, 09:21 PM
Member Sponsor

Exclamation Now, I get it!

Quote:
Your quote "I want to know the secret" which I assumed was referring to getting 40mpg. Of course is a far cry hence my sarcastic remark "so does GM, Ford, Toyota and the list goes on"
Got it now!

Dumb 'ole me, musta' not been awake! Now that I read it again...

Everybody have a good Christmas?
Old 12-25-2010, 09:47 PM
treiber gefunden

Quote:
Got it now!

Dumb 'ole me, musta' not been awake! Now that I read it again...

Everybody have a good Christmas?
Yes we are thank you but the boys r having a better time. I ate too much.
Old 12-25-2010, 09:56 PM
Member Sponsor

Quote:
Yes we are thank you but the boys r having a better time. I ate too much.
Well of course! (to both)
Old 12-27-2010, 02:08 PM

thans pstur1 for the info
Old 12-29-2010, 04:26 AM

Car: '07 Laser Blue NBC; '05 Passat Wagon TDI; '99 Ford F-150 4x4; '23 Ford T-Bucket

Quote:
Originally Posted by blalockchiro View Post
hey guys, my wifes car is a 07 VW new beetle, 2.5 L gas, we are getting some sucky gas mileage, 25 instead of 40, has 75000.0 miles on it, spark plugs have never been changed
I have an '07 NBC and the "best" I ever got for mileage was 39 mpg, but I had a tail wind. I have no clue where you are getting the idea that your bug should be making 40 mpg. The plugs aren't due for a change until 100,000 miles. Why fix what is possibly not broken?

But hey, it's your car and your time and your money...just offering my opinions.

Jerry
Old 12-29-2010, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadda61beetle View Post
I have an '07 NBC and the "best" I ever got for mileage was 39 mpg, but I had a tail wind. I have no clue where you are getting the idea that your bug should be making 40 mpg. The plugs aren't due for a change until 100,000 miles. Why fix what is possibly not broken?

But hey, it's your car and your time and your money...just offering my opinions.

Jerry
Even if the recommended interval was 100,000 miles, leaving your spark plugs in for that long would be a bad idea. With an aluminum cylinder head, you are probably going to have a very difficult time removing spark plugs that have been in for 100,000 miles. If you strip or otherwise damage the threads on your cylinder head, you are looking at a very time consuming and or expensive repair.

pstur1
Old 01-11-2011, 10:44 AM

thanks guys, have not done as of yet, but in referrece to my 40 mpg. that is highway and 30 in the city, no lie, may just the way we drive
Old 01-18-2011, 01:03 AM
I Love Hippos.

Car: 2008 Beetle S

Please share your technique hypermiling master!

See Nubz on Track
Old 01-18-2011, 01:17 AM

Car: NB 2000 TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstur1 View Post
Even if the recommended interval was 100,000 miles, leaving your spark plugs in for that long would be a bad idea. With an aluminum cylinder head, you are probably going to have a very difficult time removing spark plugs that have been in for 100,000 miles. If you strip or otherwise damage the threads on your cylinder head, you are looking at a very time consuming and or expensive repair.

pstur1
Not a problem as long as you remove the plugs when engien is cold. NEVER when hot. Platinum tip plugs are good for 100k easy. Change more often on a turbo just because it is severe duty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.