VW Beetle Forum banner

sunroof opens on its own?

16K views 23 replies 16 participants last post by  mamateolee24 
#1 · (Edited)
We never use the sunroof on our 2003 NB TurboS. Twice now I've been surprised to see it left open. When I check it, the knob is turned to close. Fortunately it hasn't rained into it, but I have no idea what is going on. Any thoughts?

#4 ·
Actually it is only in the vented position, but not fully vented. To close it, I turn the key and dial it vented then to closed. First it fully opens then closes.

I pulled fuse #30 hoping to keep it closed--it is supposed to rain tonight.

Any thoughts? This has happened twice.

#5 ·
The fuse sounds like good call, as long as that is the sunroof and doesn't effect anything else. I've never heard of this before. Never seen this with my wife's '01.

I do know you can close the sunroof with the key. Just like you can close the windows, turn to lock and hold it. If the windows are already up the sunroof should close. That doesn't explain your issue, though.

It is a Turbo S...someone might be taking him for joy rides... ;)

#10 · (Edited)
Same sunroof-opening problem on my '01 VW NB

I was just trying to solve this problem so I can get it figured out before the rainy season comes again. I'm wondering if this could be a problem with a short circuit, but it doesn't make sense that it happens when the key isn't even in the ignition. It's so bizarre!

I saw that someone was having the same problem on their Passat and did a detailed step-by-step explanation of how they fixed the problem here: http://www.passatworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=238398

#12 ·
Cue Twilight Zone Music

Hey,

That happened to me this week and I thought I was losing my mind, (cue Twilight Zone music). I got in my NB after work, and found that my sunroof was vented open. Unfortunately it had rained, and it got a little wet. The dial was on the "closed" position. I was wondering if someone else's keyless entry where I work contacted it and mde it pop up? Either that or she's possessed. She's a 2002.

Reenie

#13 ·
Wierndnessess

I have had the same issue,,,,I thought all the problems I've had were my car only.....Alarms chime off and on at will, engine lights flash when they want, dash falls off when touched, radio display states "SAFE" (WTF), driver seat heater no longer works, a piece of front fender like a triangle disentangled itself and ran away in dismay. Sometimes the intermittent chimes, beeps, blurps will cause the battery to die...this will happen if you leave it alone over a weekend...When you return, it is dead.

Sorry to go on and on and on and on

#15 ·
Sunroof randomly vented open

Experiencing the same random problem with the sunroof being randomly open in the vented position when I didn't open it. I just turn the knob to open then closed and it closes just fine. I just find it weird. I thought maybe there is a secret, like I turned the key in door and it popped up, but that's not it. Anybody else got a good answer? i just worry about it being up in the rain. Can't seem to isolate what triggers it, unless it's a gremlin that can't be predicted.

thanks
R

#17 ·
I've never had this problem, but I had a similar problem with my truck randomly opening. It fixed itself when I accidentally drained my battery by leaving my lights on, then charged it. Obviously I'm not suggesting you try that to fix it, but has anyone tried to disconnect the battery for a bit and then reattach it to see if that helps?
And bagg10ns, is that piece of your fender about the size of your fingernail? I've got a piece like that on my fender, but the PO told me that the guy who owned it before them tried to self install a europlate and made a mess of it. They said they had it fixed, but Idk if they replaced the whole fender piece or if they just filled it in with putty.

#20 ·
I had a similar problem on my 2002 Turbo S, i removed the switch; disassembled, cleaned all the parts with electrical cleaner, added superlube silicone grease to needed mechanical lube points and it fixed the problem.

#23 · (Edited)
Pry off the cover, there is one retaining screw (remove)remove; then, disconnect, the plug, a bracket holds the switch, remove, push out the switch and then the switch is free.

The switch is held together with plastic clips , that are part of the case of the switch; carefully push in the retaining clips and gently pry apart.