VW Beetle Forum banner

Glovebox Lid

34K views 22 replies 17 participants last post by  lovebug1959 
#1 ·
Hi, does anyone know what the part number is for the 99 NB glovebox lid is? In gray?

#9 · (Edited)
Just went to VW....they have them in stock...wonder why??
$149. Anyone know how to remove and replace? Parts guy said you replace lock cylinder with old one....any ideas on how to do that.....thanks,
Just found the instructions in my Bentley manual and scanned it...as I recently acquired a black glovebox and I need to do this myself. I will have a gray one for sale as well. PM me if you're interested.

Here it is:

#10 ·
Good luck finding a pair of pliers that will fit in there...it is tight. I ended up using a small pry bar and I pried the old lock out of my new glovebox with no issues. Pulling the lock out of my existing glovebox did not go so well. I ended up snapping the handle off because I wasn't counter-holding it enough...which is why they show using a pair of pliers. I know there are pliers available that will do the job...I just didn't have them and I was impatient tonight.

So now I need to find a new handle before I sell my old glovebox to anybody. There is a part number on it, I will have to see if I can order it and fix it up.

So...if you're swapping your lock...BE CAREFUL! :rolleyes:

#16 ·
Good luck finding a pair of pliers that will fit in there...it is tight. I ended up using a small pry bar and I pried the old lock out of my new glovebox with no issues. Pulling the lock out of my existing glovebox did not go so well. I ended up snapping the handle off because I wasn't counter-holding it enough...which is why they show using a pair of pliers. I know there are pliers available that will do the job...I just didn't have them and I was impatient tonight.

So now I need to find a new handle before I sell my old glovebox to anybody. There is a part number on it, I will have to see if I can order it and fix it up.

So...if you're swapping your lock...BE CAREFUL! :rolleyes:
Patience is SUCH a virtue!

#17 · (Edited)
Glove Box Door Replacement story

NOTE: YOU ARE BETTER OFF LEAVING THE OLD LOCK IN A SALVAGE GLOVEBOX DOOR. - the latch hinges are too fragile to try and pry the old lock out of [see post above where the guy tore his up trying].

The latch is so cheap it won't keep out a thief anyway, why lock it and make them tear it up? -they'll just rip off the latch and the door will fall open.

Salvage price should be @ 50% of Dealer cost, I found one about 45 minutes away at a Salvage Yard [3rd call - $50 ] but they are rare and Murphy's Law makes sure you'll find every color plastic but yours.

Now that new glovebox doors are sold by VW Dealers w/o having to buy the whole glove box, and door replacement once you get the glove box out of the dash is a breeze, save your old lock for that purchase [when you replace it next time]. Since the dealer one will be sold "naked"-the lock just presses into the empty hole, just make sure of key slot position: 12 o'clock "open"/3 o'clock "locked" before pressing it into place. I just put the original lock cylinder in a baggie corner with a loop of electrical tape to keep it clean and together [the lock 'leaves' for different key settings are tiny & thin as paper and are loose & will slide out the side like bread slices in a toaster, so watch that mess] and keep it in the glovebox for that day

#18 ·
Individual door has been available for at least a year, about when I first priced from a Dealer, but the $$$ have gone up considerably. I see them, used, on eBay in the $130 price range, what they were selling for new a year ago. $185+ new, from the Dealer.

M.

Reactions: Pizzaboy
#19 ·
Here's the Bentley R&R for:
Glove Box, Lower Switch Console (heated seats), Right Side Trim Panel, Glove Box Lock Cylinder, Door Post Strap, Inside Rear View Mirror, Instrument Panel Grab Handle, Roof Handle, Sun Visor

Needed a place to post the .pdf so I could have a link for the .pdf

M.

Attachments

#20 ·
Glove Box Latch Repair

I bought my daughter a 2000 Turbo Beetle and it has had a lot of problems with plastic parts; switches breaking, interior finishes coming off or bubbling. I think the Mexican plastic must be 25% dirt! I found two issues that were strictly due to broken/brittle plastic:

Truck latch would not release trunk all the way unless handle was pulled simultaneous to hitting remote or inside release.
-problem ended up being a plastic anchor that holds a plastic plate that pushes up on the latch with spring pressure
--solution was to screw the plate to a metal support below it and abandon the plastic anchor mount that fit around the plate.

Glove box latch (handle) broke off.
-problem was that one of the two plastic sockets that the hinge pins holding the handle on broke off. Other one was about to break off.
--solution was to cut both these flimsy plastic pieces off and fabricate oak pcs that were aprox 10 times as thick. I super-glued these to the back of the latch handle and also reinforced with one screw each thru handle (looks better than it sounds). drilled holes in new pin sockets. Unfortunately, outer and inner glove box door panels have to be separated in order to slide pins back into the repaired handle, but due to the way they were glued, they break apart and reattach (glue) fairly easily.
---end result is a repair costing about $200 less than replacing the glove box door, no re-keying required and this latch won't break off again, ever, because the crappy, flimsy little plastic parts aren't there anymore!

#21 · (Edited)
Glove box latch (handle) broke off.
-problem was that one of the two plastic sockets that the hinge pins holding the handle on broke off. Other one was about to break off.
--solution was to cut both these flimsy plastic pieces off and fabricate oak pcs that were aprox 10 times as thick. I super-glued these to the back of the latch handle and also reinforced with one screw each thru handle (looks better than it sounds). drilled holes in new pin sockets. Unfortunately, outer and inner glove box door panels have to be separated in order to slide pins back into the repaired handle, but due to the way they were glued, they break apart and reattach (glue) fairly easily.
---end result is a repair costing about $200 less than replacing the glove box door, no re-keying required and this latch won't break off again, ever, because the crappy, flimsy little plastic parts aren't there anymore!
thanks for the how-to on this...i'll give it a go.

btw, did you take any pictures of the 'glove box latch surgery'? :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.