VW Beetle Forum banner

Power outlets

10K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  VWBubba 
#1 ·
Hey, all!

My power outlets are not working in my 2000 NB. My assumption is that this is a blown fuse, but I can't figure out which one to check. The "guide" on the inside of the fuse box is all symbols and the owner's manual doesn't give and legend on how to interpret them.

Can anyone tell me what the symbol is for the power outlets or, otherwise guide me to being able to fix this so I can plug my cell in while I am driving?

Thanks!

#6 ·
My outlets were also not working, so I went to change the fuse, and it sent a spark at me. Being a girl, I screamed and will not go near the fuse box for fear the car is angry at me and is now trying to kill me. Why would it spark? Bad wiring?

#7 ·
There is a short. That's what caused the first fuse to go. Check inside the power ports, could be something in one of them. If you find nothing, someone will have to track down the cause of the short, possibly the wiring behind one of the plugs.

MORAV

#9 ·
It seems to be an issue with these, my 2000 Beetle has a problem with the cigar lighter. Checked the fuses and found a dead short in the circuit. For now I have left the fuse out until I have time to get to the problem. Prior to this has anyone had this problem and can advise before I start Checking the whole loom?

BTW, The spark when you insert the new fuse is the fuse blowing again because of a dead short. The car is not angry, just a little unwell and would be really happy if you could fix her. Cars run on 12v only and will not hurt you, in fact you can't feel the power there. The only way to tell is with a tester or by grounding a live and it will spark, there is nothing to be afraid of. Nobody is hurt by 12v but many get a smack from the cooling fan :)

#12 ·
My '99 had power to the outlets with the car off, as does my GTI.

#13 ·
First off, I'd like to thank you all for contributing, especially Similar for the link to the Fuse Guide.

Unfortunately, though, I am having another issue which may be related to to the fuses, but even the online Fuse Guide doesn't list which fuse may be causing my problem.

I have a 2000 GLS Bug, which has the clock and exterior temperature gauge mounted on the roof. Recently, my battery died and, when jumed the battery, The temperature gauge stopped working and all I get is 4 "dashes" and an F, indicating that I have set it to Farenheit and not Celsius.

Could this also be a blown fuse issue, or fif I fry the temp sensor when I umped the battery?

Thanks!

#16 ·
Have you tried changing it to Celsius to see if it responds ? It may be waiting for you to set it. If it will not change it's probably damaged. Steve

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.