VW Beetle Forum banner

P0300, P0304, P0303 Codes

13K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  capnkt 
#1 ·
While driving my car this moring I had the CEL come on, and the engine started running very rough. I took the car home, and pulled the following codes P0300, P0304 & P0303.

Yesterday I had replaced the shift linkage with a Dieselgeek short shifter (awesome BTW) & accessed the bottom of the shifter mechanism (bad bushing at the shifter assembly). During this process I had the air filter assembly off of the car, as well as dropping a portion of the exhaust system to access the shifter linkage. Today I searched the car for anything I might have done wrong. I kinda expected to find something that wasn't re-installed properly, or a vaccum hose that was disconnected. Everything looked okay.

Where do I start?

Local repair shop?

Car is a 2003 Turbo S 1.8, 72,000 miles on car, TB & WP done by me
1000 miles ago.

#2 ·
Those are misfire codes. Spark plugs changed lately? Coil packs? The coils are under recall right now.

#3 ·
Not all Beetles have the coil pack recalls or so they say. I don't know why, they are all the same crap. My dealer told me my coil packs were not subject to the recall they may have been blowing smoke up my arse.

Go here and check, you need your vin #
VW Owners Portal < Volkswagen of America

Personally I think all the rubber hosing that decays and falls apart is worse then the coil packs and VW never did a recall for the hoses.

#5 ·
Thanks for the replies!

I took your advice and called the local dealership. The car has two recalls that currently apply (coil packs & sunroof). I have an appointment for this Friday so we'll see if that takes care of it.

Thanks again for the help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.