Amp Power Wire thru Firewall - Location - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > How-To's > Audio/Video How-To

Audio/Video How-To Step by step instructions on how to perform various car audio/video tasks.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2005, 02:12 PM
I BELIEVE!

Car: 2002 DIYCGCC TDI
Default Amp Power Wire thru Firewall - Location

How-To by Kronic

Shared these pics of the location of the grommet in the firewall....I think they speak for themselves.

Thanks!
Attached Images/Files

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2007, 08:41 PM
I BELIEVE!

Pat informs me....

Quote:
Your instructions for passing an amp power wire through the firewall are valid ONLY for cars with "drive by wire". cars with traditional accelerator cables DO NOT have this grommet in the firewall, there is a bolt there......you may want to ammend your directions.... Pat
If anyone has any information on what models do have traditional accelerator cables, please PM me and I will update this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2008, 02:30 PM
I BELIEVE!

Here is a disclaimer that zeusenergy suggests:

Quote:
Hey man, please update the thread with a disclaimer about using GOOD insulation on the cable where it passes through. The grommet can come out with movement and the wire insualtion can rub thru, leading to the fires we have seen on this forum. (possibly)
I have seen this happen to many cars, esp. after the cable is passed through, then moved around a bit to get over and under parts. The grommet can slip out of its hole pretty easy like this.
Old 03-21-2008, 04:52 PM
I BELIEVE!

Pickner just pm'd me a second location....

Quote:
Hi,
I've read the Audio/Video How to "Amp Power Wire thru Firewall - Location" - there's also another location you can put the wire through:
If you remove the Air-Filter - right behind it there's a cable channel with a rubber plug (sealing the spaces between the outcomming cables) - if you modify the plug there's enough space for a 32mm² cable (almost as thick as a thumb ) - this will come out under the second cover of the dashboard - just drill one hole in the third cover (I was surprised how many covers a beetle has) - and install it like it is installed in the other location. Works fine at my Beetle

greetings from Germany
OldSchoolVWLover wanted to add this as well....
Quote:
A fire should not be caused by a properly installed power wire, BECAUSE it should always be fused within 12 inches of the battery. Regardless of method of installation, any power wire for any application should be fused at some point near the source of power.

Last edited by marvins_dad; 01-26-2009 at 04:47 AM..
Old 03-21-2008, 10:26 PM
I BELIEVE!

Picknicker sent me a PDF that is pretty concise with great photos that really help get through the firewall!

Thanks for all that time and effort Chris!
Attached Images/Files
File Type: pdf Installing AMP-wiring in a New Beetle.pdf (1.07 MB, 4435 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.