05 New Beetle and XM radio - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > Discussion - Technical > Car Audio

Car Audio Discussion of car audio applications pertaining to the Vokswagen New Beetle.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2009, 11:40 AM

Car: 2005 New Beetle Sundown Orange
Default 05 New Beetle and XM radio

Hi, I'm new to the forum and after tons of internet searching figured this would be the best place to ask this question.

I just purchased a 2005 New Beetle, and I love it! The only problem is that the previous owner lost the owners manual so I've just been winging it in terms of finding things out about the car.

In my previous car I had XM radio installed. When I purchased my Beetle the dealer said that the factory radio is XM ready. Assuming that is correct, and I hope it is, what is the best way to have the receiver attached to the dash? If anyone has any suggestions about this I would greatly appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2009, 01:12 PM

Car: 2000 Cyber Green, 1.8t

If it's XM ready, then I would guess that means it doesn't already have the XM receiver. You'd have to get one. I'm actually not sure where those are installed, but it wouldn't be to the dash.

You could either go through the dealership to get one, or try and find one online somewhere. If you want to work it directly through your indash receiver, you're probably limited in which receivers you can use.

Otherwise, there are tons of options available.

'00 GLX Cyber Green / Cream, 5sp.

'12 Mini Countryman S All4 6sp.
Old 05-31-2009, 04:19 PM
Boogety Boogety

Car: 2006 NBC

The dealer has the OEM module that attaches to the OEM radio under the dash. Once the dealer installs the module, you can transparently operate all your XM controls through the OEM head.

For the 2006 models and going forward, VW changed their contractual support from XM to Sirius. I was a long-time XM subscriber with multiple receivers in my fleet, so I wanted XM instead of the as-delivered Sirius module. After lots of drama with the dealer, they managed to find a module and switch it over to XM for me prior to delivery (and I was told it may have been the very last XM-equipped NB allowed by VW), and because I was and remain a loyal multi-car customer, they didn't charge me the $400+ they initially quoted to add the sat radio feature. Now that Sirius and XM are one, that may have changed. If you don't have a previous reationship with XM, you may just ask the dealer to activate your sat radio module, and live with what you can get. But in an '05, you shouldn't have a problem with choice.

Another option: Get an OEM head with XM from a wrecked NB. Yards or eBay, whichever... just get the code so you don't have an activation problem. Should be plug-and-play otherwise.

Good luck and keep us posted...
Old 05-31-2009, 04:35 PM

Car: 05 New Beetle GL

My 05 came with an in-dash cd/xm radio. The XM receiver is built in to the in dash radio. All I had to do was subscribe. Maybe that's what the dealer means by XM ready.
Old 05-31-2009, 04:53 PM
Super Moderator

Car: '06 Harvest Moon Beige PKG 2 TDI

Actually, the XM receiver (or the Sirius receiver) are under the carpet just below the dash on the passenger side (US models). Basically the top of the foot well. The radio is satellite ready meaning it can receive a signal if the receiver (XM or Sirius) is activated. The antenna (assuming you have a hard top) is works with either system.

How do I know? Because one of my friends in Washington state purchased an 06 TDI in April 06 and it came with Sirius. He found the original manufacturer of the receivers and switched the receiver out for an XM in June or July of 06. He was able to do it himself. He activated the receiver (via the radio) and has been happy ever since.

I purchased an 06 TDI with XM in May 06. I'm very happy with it.

I will see if I can find the company for you.

Former owner of:
  • Stitch - the 2003 BLCC 1.8t 5spd. w/Turbo S conversion
  • Bluebee - the 2001 Vortex Blue Limited Edition 1.8t 5spd.
  • Beetlebug - the 1998 Techno Blue 2.0 5spd.
Old 05-31-2009, 11:49 PM
Boogety Boogety

Car: 2006 NBC

Quote:
Actually, the XM receiver (or the Sirius receiver) are under the carpet just below the dash on the passenger side (US models). Basically the top of the foot well. The radio is satellite ready meaning it can receive a signal if the receiver (XM or Sirius) is activated. The antenna (assuming you have a hard top) is works with either system.
That's a very helpful clarification of my experience, Susan, thanks... I wasn't aware it was a separate item... so apparently, you don't need to change the OEM HU, just find the appropriate receiver module, and install that. Cooool!
Old 06-01-2009, 01:55 AM
Super Moderator

Car: '06 Harvest Moon Beige PKG 2 TDI

Heard back from my friend in WA state. He found the guy through VWvortex.com. Probably do a search for satellite receiver and you should find it. He gave me this link to someone on ebay: Audi-Volkswagen Sirius/XM Receiver 8EO 035 593 E - eBay (item 160338203177 end time Jun-01-09 15:56:31 PDT)

He said this was the right thing (he thought).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.