New Beetle Subwoofer Enclosure - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > Discussion - Technical > Car Audio

Car Audio Discussion of car audio applications pertaining to the Vokswagen New Beetle.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2009, 05:10 PM

Default New Beetle Subwoofer Enclosure

Hello, im looking to find a nice subwoofer box for my girlfriends bettle, i would love to do a type of stealth box, i was wondering if anyone had one or even knew how to build one. does anyone even have a layout and measurements of the trunk maybe? any suggestions are welcome. thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2009, 05:55 PM
It's a shot glass!

Back Home Again( O.C. SoCal), USA
Car: '98 Cool White 5 Speed 2.0L GL

I can only think of 2 types of boxes, check these links:
JL Audio Stealthbox® Custom-fit fiberglass enclosure with 10" W3v3 subwoofer Fits 1998-up Volkswagen Beetle coupe at Crutchfield.com

https://www.wholesalecarstereo.com/M...10-p19180.html

no measurements though. It be nice to build something similar
Old 06-10-2009, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_MoFo View Post
i think i may attempt my own build on this, ill be sure to give details if i do it. thanks for the help. if anyone has measurements or a layout of the trunk space please let me know.
Old 06-11-2009, 01:47 PM

Car: 1999 new beetle. 2 liter

i built a custom dual ten box to go into the spare tire well. i hope to have pics of it up by the end of the day.
Old 06-11-2009, 02:09 PM
Catch me riding s00ty!

Car: Formally 2001.5 Sport 5speed-- Titan Currently 2005.5 Jetta TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean_fabanich View Post
i built a custom dual ten box to go into the spare tire well. i hope to have pics of it up by the end of the day.
That includes a how-to faq right?
Old 06-11-2009, 04:50 PM

heres a few pics i took on the phone thru-out the build.

i suggest doing your own measuring..i actually used a hammer to bang out a few spots in the well to make it level for the box...it didnt take much. and i know some people cringe about it.

anyways. built the box from 3/4 inch mdf. and then coated the interior with resin. this box is almost exactly 1.5 cubes. it is a common air box...which i didnt want to do. how ever the alternative was building a taller box..which would have raised the false floor at least another inch and a half.

depending on the subs you want to you use you may be able to build a smaller box. or seperate it to two chambers.

either way the box sounds great. i am going to be dynamatting a good portion of the vehicle. so i am waiting until after that is done to finish the top of the floor. eventually a piece of mdf will be cut out around the amps and carpeted section of the subs. i will carpet it and it will cover up the wiring and distribution block and capacitor..which is installed in the driver corner of the bumper.
either way...enjoy the pics. hope it gives you some inspiration. if you could only hear it. haha
Attached Images/Files

Old 06-11-2009, 05:44 PM
Catch me riding s00ty!

Car: Formally 2001.5 Sport 5speed-- Titan Currently 2005.5 Jetta TDI

Do you still have your spare?
Old 06-11-2009, 05:51 PM

yes...i have it....in my basement.

just paid the yearly fee for aaa.

haha
Old 06-12-2009, 02:13 PM

im thinking about doing a fiberglass enclosure for one sub either 10in or 8 but i was hoping to find a nice write up on it or advice on it. anyone?
Old 06-20-2009, 05:36 PM
Rusto King

Car: See Sig

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowurroots View Post
im thinking about doing a fiberglass enclosure for one sub either 10in or 8 but i was hoping to find a nice write up on it or advice on it. anyone?

10 in fiberglass box..... glass box fits in spare tire, this way you aren't stuck in the middle of nowhere waiting on roadside.... in the vert I don't run a spare tire, but that car doesn't go anywhere without me unless its an emergency. Can't have the wife rollin the beetle without a spare.

Old 11-16-2009, 05:00 AM

hey folks. came across a great deal on a new sub and amp combo. so im getting rid of the above pictured dual ten box and amp rack. i never did finish it because i had issues with the 4 channel amp and didnt want to cut a cover peice for an amp i thought id end up replacing...which i am

for someone to finish it they just have to get a thin piece of wood...cut it to fit...and carpet or paint. pretty easy for anyone with some power tools.

anyways. ill be storing the sub box and amp plate (or rack) in the basement for now. if anyone is interested in purchasing it id be happy to sell. as you can see in the pictures its a common air dual ten sealed enclosure. measuring roughly 1.5 cubic feet. it is made of 3/4 inch mdf and nailed together. the interior of the box was resined to increase rigidity. for now the subs are also for sale. but i expect to sell them soon. as they are mtx 7500 series. great subs. and they sound awesome in the enclosure. i have had it metered and running of an 800 watt rms amp...at roughly 3/4 gain it hit at 134 dbs. very loud and clean set up. i love tens over any other size.

the box simply lays in the spare wheel well. and the amp plate lays around the sub box. it raises the floor roughly an inch. the sub box has mdf strips attached to the side so the plate can be screwed to the box...reducing vibration. thats what i loved most about this set up. how little vibration can be heard inside and out. and it utilizes the shape of the rear window and cabin to its full sound advantage. no one ever believe i have just 2 tens.

so...

as for now i have the box and amp rack for sale...and also the two subs pictured above. mtx ten inch 7500 series.

pm me if anyone is interested. i would have started a new thread but i cant find what i did with those pictures...so i figured id just attach this post to where the pics can be seen.
Old 12-10-2009, 02:16 AM
I'm not a dude.

Car: 2001 1.8T, slaughtermatic.

If I lived anywhere near you, I'd be interested... I bet shipping would be ridiculous! lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckie View Post
I would go off the deep end if some dingbat hurt my baby Dive Bomber. After Wifey had me bailed out of jail for skinning the assailant alive and wearing her flesh as a hat for a couple days, I would have to drink about 4 cases of beer for the impending war with the insurance goons who charge the same for ins. on a 2002 model as they do for a B One Three.
You are a better man than I my friend.
Old 02-07-2010, 05:53 AM

Default JL Audio Subwoofer available...

Hello there,
I have a perfect condition JL Audio Stealth subwoofer that I bought, but never hooked up in my vehicle. I have the subwoofer and the false flooring that goes with it, along with all of the mounting hardware. I did not purchase the unit with the amplifier. I would rather not ship, but since you are willing to pay for shipping, let me know where you are located, and I can see about working up a deal for you to purchase...

Robert
Old 03-07-2010, 07:38 PM

Default Hears Mine

It Is My first try at fiberglass. Its not perfect, I can still Clean it up a bit, but It Sounds Awesome. and I still have alot of trunk space. I was thinking of covering it with black leather to match my seats

Last edited by Mr Bubblehead; 03-07-2010 at 07:44 PM..
Old 03-14-2010, 03:14 AM
crazy bones

Swamp land La,

Here's mine I went from this...

To this ...

And still not finished....
Old 04-13-2010, 09:44 AM
Banned

I want to buy some of these ,Please tell me the procedure to purchase these things
Old 04-13-2010, 01:52 PM
Same Name, New Parts

Car: 99 BMP 1.8BT, 04 2.0 Beetle cabrio, 08 E90 M3, 62' Fiat 600
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPER M View Post
Here's mine I went from this...

To this ...

And still not finished....
nicely done man, what are your plans for around that enclose?
Im wondering how come you didnt use mdf instead of plywood, usually people use mdf
looks good so far
Old 04-17-2010, 01:00 PM
crazy bones

Swamp land La,

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastAndFurious View Post
nicely done man, what are your plans for around that enclose?
Im wondering how come you didnt use mdf instead of plywood, usually people use mdf
looks good so far
I used the plywood because thats what i had on hand . I was not sure this was going to work it's the first time i have done this . I have been having this idea for a long time and a friend gave me the VW trim piece he found and i thought this would make a good trim / vent for a speaker box ...

and the rest is history

the next one i do will be done right.
Old 04-17-2010, 01:34 PM

Car: 2002 GL Beetle

heck, looks pretty nice to me. id buy one of those, you should start a business.
Old 04-20-2010, 01:27 PM

looks awesome....hows it sound?

hows the vibration on the hatch? and exhaust?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.