"safe mode" problem? How to get it unlocked? - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > Discussion - Technical > Car Audio

Car Audio Discussion of car audio applications pertaining to the Vokswagen New Beetle.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2006, 11:51 PM

Question "safe mode" problem? How to get it unlocked?

CD panel showed "safe mode" after battery once ran out. I checked the manual, it seemed an UNLOCK is needed. I called dealer and got the quota like $55. Is this a tough job for DIY? Need any tools?
Thanks in advance for any advices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2006, 10:37 AM

Car: 2000 beetle 2.0
Default are you talking about your

is you radio saying safe mode?....if it is...you need to get ur 4 digit # for ur radio....when i bought my used 200 2.0 gls...it was on safe mode (theft mode) the car dealer had the code(no name dealer) i punched it in and radio works.
Old 01-07-2006, 07:16 PM
Moddin' Lion

Car: '95 E320, '04 986

Do you have the original owner's manual? If so, then the radio code is in the booklet. If not, then you're kind of in need of the service dept.

In some rare cases, I've seen radios go into SAFE mode and come back out without needing a code. Perhaps having a steady power source, not sure.

-Des

Old 01-17-2006, 08:36 PM
Μολλων Λαβε!

Car: 2006 NBC Reflex Silver

2000 NB Sound system, Booklet 3.4, below the contents is the radio card. Right next to the radio card is an important note, that among other things it states"...if you lose the radio card and the code number, your AUTHORIZED VW DEALER WILL HELP YOU FREE-OF-CHARGE.
Take it to the dealer and show it to them and if they charge you send the receipt to VW of America. You WILL get your money back...
Hammer
1963 MBZ 220S Restored
2009 Triumph Bonneville white
Old 03-02-2006, 08:39 PM

I bought my beetle new and they had to order me a book because mine was not in the car. I just called and asked for the # and they gave it to me. My question is once you have the # and the radio does go to safe mode what do you do to input the code it the radio?....Thanks Anthony
Old 03-02-2006, 09:00 PM
Lurker Status Assumed.

Car: 2000 Jetta GLS 2.0L

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001convertable
I bought my beetle new and they had to order me a book because mine was not in the car. I just called and asked for the # and they gave it to me. My question is once you have the # and the radio does go to safe mode what do you do to input the code it the radio?....Thanks Anthony
use the preset buttons.
Old 08-16-2006, 06:26 AM

Australia

Well the Superbug's radio is now in safe mode after a dead battery, I have the radio code ready however now I'm feeling a little silly because I put my radio back into safe mode!
Does someone have an explanation for dummies on how to input the code into a 2001 NB 1.8L radio?? My code begins with a 9 but there are only the numbers 1 to 6 in my preset buttons. I can see that the solution to this is going to be as clear as day and I am going to feel like a complete dummy but I'm not keen to keep on pressing buttons and put the radio into safe mode permanently. My singing just isnt that great without sound to drown me out....
Old 08-16-2006, 05:56 PM

CA, USA
Car: 2004 NBC 1.8T

Instructions should in the owner's manual. I believe the 6 button, pressed in succession, is 7, 8, 9.
Old 08-16-2006, 07:55 PM
Barack the vote!

Car: 1998 Techno Blue NB 2.0L

On my '98, if you press preset one button nine times, the first number for the code will change to nine. If you press prset two button say seven times, it will change the second number to seven. After the number pops up, I think I pushed the seek button to the right. Don't know if this will work on your later model bug though.

Old 08-20-2006, 06:56 AM
my cars so fresh

Car: 2006 VW tdi beetle

thats how it works in my 06
Old 02-22-2008, 02:53 AM
The Last Open Road

WI, USA
Car: 98 VW Beetle - 04 mazda3 - 87 Chevrolet Caprice Classic Wagon

I put in the code then I hit seek. I heard the speakers, then it went back to safe "2" and I can't enter the code again. What gives?
Old 02-22-2008, 11:57 PM
The Last Open Road

WI, USA

$20 to anyone via paypal who can let me know how to fix this!
Old 02-23-2008, 08:45 AM
Bug me again!

Car: 2012 Turbo, RED of course!

I think that last 'hit' of the seek button should have been a 'hold-down-until-it-beeps.' Quoting from memory here, though...
If it's not letting you enter the code again, maybe disconnecting the battery again for at least 1/2 an hour would enable that? But I'd try holidng down the seek first...
Here's a look at Ladybug
Old 02-23-2008, 01:20 PM
The Last Open Road

WI, USA

I'm thinkging this is not the original radio. when I hold seek after entering code I hear the speakers for a split second then it goes right to 2 safe
Old 02-23-2008, 08:55 PM
Bug me again!

Car: 2012 Turbo, RED of course!

You might be right
Old 02-25-2008, 12:58 PM
" I need me one of them"

Car: 2001 GLX 1.8T

EDIT: After furter review online the Vag-Com will not help here.........

(edited)But I do have Vag-com. So if you are not too far and have any CEL related issues let me know. I always enjoy helping out where I can.....

Last edited by Scarab 1; 02-25-2008 at 01:30 PM..
Old 02-25-2008, 10:57 PM
The Last Open Road

WI, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab 1
EDIT: After furter review online the Vag-Com will not help here.........

(edited)But I do have Vag-com. So if you are not too far and have any CEL related issues let me know. I always enjoy helping out where I can.....

Thanks anyway, I'm going to suck it up and got the dealer. They are charging me $84.00...
Old 03-03-2008, 05:49 PM

You get two tries and then the radio locks you out. But if you turn on the ignition and let the radio sit for an hour, it will go back to SAFE mode.

I have gotten a differnet story every time I call my dealer... Yes, I can get the code, No I have to bring it in (I live three hours from a dealer) because that's "Volkswagen policy" and No, I have to bring it in because that have to plug it in to get the code which I think is total BS. I am really bummered.

Update... I finally called the dealship's service manager and offered to fax my title, driver's license, photo of me sitting in the car touching the radio, etc. etc. and he was gracious and gave me the code. So it is possible but expect to be frustrated before you're done.

Last edited by wiinga; 03-03-2008 at 06:38 PM..
Old 08-14-2012, 03:08 PM

Default Fixed It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadwood View Post
$20 to anyone via paypal who can let me know how to fix this!
Turns out the problem had to do with the battery being removed. Just reenter the code found in the owner's manual. Here's how to do it: VW or Audi How to Enter a Radio Code - Radio display reads SAFE - YouTube

Send the $20 to my PayPal: xpertss@hotmail.com

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-14-2012, 04:58 PM
5/23/10 <3

Car: 1999 Techno Blue GL 2.0 5-speed (RIP), 1984 Jetta GL TD, 2003 20th GTI

1) Way to bump an 8 + year old thread for no reason...

2) Not everyone has the owners manual or the code.
The money saver:2001 Jetta TDI GL. 132k. Dead auto, swapped to 3 pedals. Hubby's DD and our trip car
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.