Can You Replace The Monsoon Stero - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > Discussion - Technical > Car Audio

Car Audio Discussion of car audio applications pertaining to the Vokswagen New Beetle.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2009, 11:53 PM

Default Can You Replace The Monsoon Stero

Just a quick question for anyone who may know. My mother has an 05 Beetle with the Monsoon stereo with the tape deck. We were going to have it replaced in Las Vegas for her birthday, but every store we went to told us that they can not install a new system in her car because it was a Monsoon system, and that we would have to buy a system from the dealer and have them install it. Now are they full of crap or is this true. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2010, 01:34 AM

TX, USA
Car: 2003 Reflex Silver Turbo S... Sold

they are full of crap... and ask yourself this, if they are telling you that do you really want any of those shops doing the install..???

are you just looking to change the factory system so your mom can have a CD player in the car..?? if so you can add a CD changer to the factory system easy and for less than the cost of having a new deck installed... there are always people on this site selling OEM CD changers for cheep..
Old 01-01-2010, 10:47 AM
Beetleman

Car: '04 NBC 1.8T ; '04 NB TDI ; '96 Passat GLX

That's very odd. The Monsoon head units with cassette tape players were replaced with units that had MP3 capable CD players in them. The change was made in early 2004 so I'm surprised that an '05 NB would have a tape player head unit in it.
At any rate, you can definitely replace the system with an aftermarket unit but it won't look the same as a factory unit.
Old 01-02-2010, 02:38 PM
overwhelmed/underpaid

Car: a project jetta in a state of (dis)repair

yeah, you can replace it.

no, it won't look like it was supposed to be there.

yes, you'll get better sound.

sound>looks imo.

2.0S jetta glx-i...13.765@105.6
Old 03-28-2010, 01:57 AM
New Beetle Lover

Car: '00 GLS - Anette, '00 GLS - Beauty

CD players have been around since the 70's and I find it completely absurd that any car manufacturer would not have a CD player as standard equipment by the turn of the millenium.

Not meaning to knock VW or Beetles, just all car manufacturers attitude toward car audio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGK View Post
That's very odd. The Monsoon head units with cassette tape players were replaced with units that had MP3 capable CD players in them. The change was made in early 2004 so I'm surprised that an '05 NB would have a tape player head unit in it.
At any rate, you can definitely replace the system with an aftermarket unit but it won't look the same as a factory unit.
Old 04-01-2010, 02:27 AM
BSG-75 CAG

Car: 2012 Beetle Turbo

i was told the same thing by every place that i went, they first told me that i couldn't wire a sub into my factory head-unit, they were wrong. then they told me that it was impossible to change out the head-unit without pulling out the monsoon amp, wrong again. but ironically enough, i was just considering putting my factory head-unit back in tonight, i miss the ominous blue/red glow
Old 04-02-2010, 04:46 AM

Car: 03 Black Beetle

Hey Randy! I definitely would check out Crutchfield.com

They can help you out with what exactly you need. I am looking into a new headunit, and they have one for every budget. Kenwood would be great because in my 03 it matches the blue and red light scheme!
I purchases my two front speakers from there and I haven't had a problem, and they were really easy to install.

They send you everything you need, (I think you might have to buy the chasis, removal tools, and a wire harness) But instructions to an exact Beetle model are included!

GOOD LUCK!

* I totally didn't mean to sound like an advertisement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.