Listening to the radio while the car is "off" - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > Discussion - Technical > Car Audio

Car Audio Discussion of car audio applications pertaining to the Vokswagen New Beetle.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2010, 07:15 PM
Eric & Tracy

Car: 2010 Red Rock Edition
Default Listening to the radio while the car is "off"

You know how every other car you can turn the key either forward or backwards a notch and you can listed to the radio while the car's engine is off??? Is there some way to do that with the NB. The only thing that works for me is to turn the key to the notch before the engine comes on, but then my dash is lit up like a Christmas tree with all of the other things that are "on." Is this the only way, and if so, is it going to "hurt" the car?? Thanks for any help!
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2010, 07:19 PM

Car: 2002 Black TDI

on the NB and all other VW of our vintage just turn the key to the accessory notch for a second then you can turn it back or even take out the key. now you have an hour that you can push the radio knob on and listen. works the same it you just turned off you car. when you turn the key off you can still listen to the radio until you pull out the key. then for up to an hour you can simply push in the radio button the turn the radio on again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2010, 10:46 PM

Car: 2.0L 2002

you can turn the radio on without the keys in the ignition, press the button to turn it off then press it again and it will turn on. make sure to turn it off though as it will run down your battery.
Old 06-17-2010, 07:05 PM
Eric & Tracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthBeetle View Post
on the NB and all other VW of our vintage just turn the key to the accessory notch for a second then you can turn it back or even take out the key. now you have an hour that you can push the radio knob on and listen. works the same it you just turned off you car. when you turn the key off you can still listen to the radio until you pull out the key. then for up to an hour you can simply push in the radio button the turn the radio on again.
I tried this, but as soon as I turn the key to turn the ignition off, the radio stops too. Maybe they changed something with the 2010 NBs...??? Thanks for the suggestions!!
Old 06-17-2010, 07:34 PM
USS ANNIEPRISE NCC 1701 A

Car: 2004 GLS Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRock View Post
I tried this, but as soon as I turn the key to turn the ignition off, the radio stops too. Maybe they changed something with the 2010 NBs...??? Thanks for the suggestions!!
If you haven't, pull the owners manual out, make sure it hasn't been changed. If not, I'd take it back and make them fix it. Good luck!!!
Old 06-17-2010, 09:12 PM
Eric & Tracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02newmag View Post
you can turn the radio on without the keys in the ignition, press the button to turn it off then press it again and it will turn on. make sure to turn it off though as it will run down your battery.
THIS WORKS!!! Yay! You have no idea how much this has been bugging me! I had searched the owners manual and even the seperate stereo manual and there was nothing in it. Thanks everyone for all of your help!
Old 06-17-2010, 10:17 PM
big poster turned lurker.

Car: 03 Turbo S, 99 Cabrio, two 87 Audi 5000's

I also wouldn't use the radio with the car off for more than an hour, half hour tops if you play it loud.

If you really wanted to listen to the radio with the car off, longer, you cold buy a deep cycle battery. With a stock radio, it will last hours, they're expensive, but once you get one, you'll wonder how you've lived without one.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:17 AM
Antares

Car: 2010 Red Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02newmag View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRock View Post
THIS WORKS!!! Yay! You have no idea how much this has been bugging me! I had searched the owners manual and even the seperate stereo manual and there was nothing in it. Thanks everyone for all of your help!
Cool, I've been wondering how to do this too !!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.