CD will not eject--Help! - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > Discussion - Technical > Car Audio

Car Audio Discussion of car audio applications pertaining to the Vokswagen New Beetle.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2010, 03:39 AM
A Touch of Gray

Car: 2006 Convertible
Question CD will not eject--Help!

I have a CD stuck in the CD player in my '06 Beetle. When I push the eject button, I get a message that says no disc. I know there is a CD in the unit, because it started to eject once, then got sucked back inside.
Any suggestions? Magic words? Hidden buttons?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2010, 07:07 AM

I have the same problem (and looking for an answer).
Old 08-14-2010, 12:33 AM
Middle Tennessee

Car: 2006 Aquarius Blue Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggadog View Post
I have a CD stuck in the CD player in my '06 Beetle. When I push the eject button, I get a message that says no disc. I know there is a CD in the unit, because it started to eject once, then got sucked back inside.
Any suggestions? Magic words? Hidden buttons?
Same here. 06..
Old 08-14-2010, 01:09 AM
Blue Hunter

Car: Blue '04 N. B. Turbo GLS

I don't know what brand of CD mechanism is in VW radios, sometimes you can open the top cover and with gentle lifting of the retainer plate and coaxing the CD forward out the slot if the guide arms are open, otherwise you are going to have to unplug the CD mechanism from the radio, then plug it back in and see if it will eject. I don't have much experience with the VW CD radio, I only worked on the cassette models, my CD repair experience was with Ford and GM radios that had a CD mechanism.
Old 10-16-2010, 10:47 PM

I got lucky with mine by turning off the radio for 30 seconds or so, then turn it back on and immediately press the eject button. The CD would attempt to eject and the edge of the CD could barely be seen in the slot. I was able to grab the edge of it and slide it out.

I'm now looking for someone who does headunit repairs.
Old 10-16-2010, 11:05 PM
Member Sponsor

none,

My stock Monsoon CD player ate one on of my CDs. I got the same "no disc" message and hear a "click, click, click" sound. I was able to reach it with a pair of hemostats and pull it out easily. Then I replaced my head unit.

Lily's Pics

Gandalf's Pics

My Profile Album
Old 10-16-2010, 11:09 PM
Banned

Car: 99 De-Lux with butt warmers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcH View Post
I got lucky with mine by turning off the radio for 30 seconds or so, then turn it back on and immediately press the eject button. The CD would attempt to eject and the edge of the CD could barely be seen in the slot. I was able to grab the edge of it and slide it out.

I'm now looking for someone who does headunit repairs.
I have seen the white gear under the screwdriver strip and loose a few teeth, causing the unit not to eject...

This by doesn't mean it's the case with your's, maybe try spraying some canned air on the area around the screwdriver, maybe its just dirty.

Old 10-16-2010, 11:20 PM

The previous issue I have with mine is that for the past two years some cd's would require inserting 3 times before the CD would load. I would put the cd in, the player would eject it, w CD ERROR message. Usually it stayed in on the third try.

Just this past week I've had three cd's that go in, and don't eject. One of them showed no disk after futzing with trying to get it out. I'm thinking there may be a bit more at issue that blowing it out, but it may be something simple.

I'd like to find someone locally (Atlanta area) to look at it. Seems that the trend is to throw away and get a new one, not repair.

I think I'm going to buy some removal keys and at least take it out and look at it. My dad has done some electronics repairs, and is willing to poke around and see what's what.

Last edited by mcH; 10-17-2010 at 12:08 AM..
Old 10-17-2010, 02:13 PM
Blue Hunter

When I was working on the cassette models, the dealerships were told to replace the radio with another, then the radios were sent back to a holding company and then shipped to the repair facility. I would imagine it is still the same with the current CD model.

Your problem could be mechanical or a logic issue with some sensors not reading correctly.....usually the CD mechanism inside the radio is replaced at that point.
Old 10-17-2010, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbluebeetle View Post
When I was working on the cassette models, the dealerships were told to replace the radio with another, then the radios were sent back to a holding company and then shipped to the repair facility. I would imagine it is still the same with the current CD model.

Your problem could be mechanical or a logic issue with some sensors not reading correctly.....usually the CD mechanism inside the radio is replaced at that point.
So is the cd mechanism inside easily replaceable?
Old 10-17-2010, 06:40 PM
Blue Hunter

Generally 4 screws and unplugging a cable, getting a replacement mech is the hard part, it's not something that is easily acquired.
Old 10-19-2010, 03:32 AM
Middle Tennessee

Car: 2006 Aquarius Blue Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcH View Post
So is the cd mechanism inside easily replaceable?
There is someone on eBay that's offering VW radio repair for a flat rate.
VW VOLKSWAGEN CD 6 Disc Radio BEETLE JETTA REPAIR: eBay Motors (item 350329267272 end time Nov-11-10 10:28:57 PST)
Old 10-19-2010, 04:32 AM

Thanks. I did see that auction in my search. I found a place in Illinois that will replace the whole cd mechanism for $110 (including shipping). They have a 3 day turn around. My radio has been boxed and is on its way. I'll update this thread w how well it works.
Old 10-19-2010, 02:22 PM
Super Moderator

Car: '06 Harvest Moon Beige PKG 2 TDI

Kind of late to the party on this but my 06 CD did the same thing. I was still under warranty when it happened and VW replaced it. They sent it off and a new one was sent back to the dealership and installed. They claimed that these are difficult to repair depending on what exactly is the problem. They were able to retrieve the CD that was in the unit at the time and return it as well.

Former owner of:
  • Stitch - the 2003 BLCC 1.8t 5spd. w/Turbo S conversion
  • Bluebee - the 2001 Vortex Blue Limited Edition 1.8t 5spd.
  • Beetlebug - the 1998 Techno Blue 2.0 5spd.
Old 10-29-2010, 03:30 AM

As promised, here's an update on my VW radio repair (CD Drive). I shipped my 2004 VW mp3 radio to replacementradios.com last Monday. USPS delivery confirmation showed that it arrived on Thursday. On Tuesday of this week, I got an email saying the radio was being shipped back UPS (they did say it would be on the bench for 3 days) -- it arrived today (Thursday). So it took about 10 days including shipping for repairs.
For $110, my CD mechanism has been replaced and comes with a 6 month warranty. CD's now go in and out just like the unit was new! I'm a happy customer.
Old 10-30-2010, 01:50 AM
A Touch of Gray

Cool. I will be doing the same thing next month, I think.
Old 10-30-2010, 02:43 PM
Blue Hunter

Here is a link to the above mentioned place for anyone who wishes to check them out.
OEM Car Radios. Factory stereo repair. Car radio parts and accessories.
Old 11-01-2010, 03:44 AM

Does anyone know what the specs are on the mp3 cd radio -- specifically as to what burn speed the cd player will read? (8x 24x etc)
Old 12-08-2010, 04:16 AM
A Touch of Gray

Well, I sent my CD player to the ReplacementRadio.com people. I sent it on Nov. 24 and it was returned today, just under 2 weeks. Total cost, $110 for the replacement eject mechanism and return postage, plus $11 for postage to them for a total cost of $121. This is less than the same procedure locally. I discovered they do the repair work on Monday evenings, so the trick is to make sure your radio arrives to them late in the week or on Monday.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:01 PM

Good deal! Nice to know they are consistent.

If anyone knows what speed of burned CD's will play in the OEM beetle radio/cd - please post. I normally will burn mp3 cd's at 8x, as some of them I've burned at 24x won't always play. The unit just will skip some tracks.
I've decided it's better to burn slow than make coasters.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.