6 CD changer console install DIY - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > Discussion - Technical > Car Audio

Car Audio Discussion of car audio applications pertaining to the Vokswagen New Beetle.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2010, 05:01 PM
treiber gefunden

Car: 2004 CONVERTIBLE GLS 2.0L
Default 6 CD changer console install DIY

If you bought the center console mount CD changer VW part # 1J0057110 from ECS at $39, or else where for over $600 you will get the installation manual with the step by step how to.

I did not follow the manual as it is my nature (we men are dumb enough to think we know better than the ppl who design and engineered the car) but this time it turned out for the best.

The manual will tell you to virtually take the console apart which to me would take a great deal of time and unnecessary aggravation. Here is a step by step of what I did and should take no more than 20 minutes:

1- remove the existing console insert by pulling it upwards towards you. Mine came out with very little effort.

2- Locate the existing wiring harness under the convertible top switch by the emergency brake, some models have a lock right above the switch to lock the console lid. If you have the model without the lock you can remove that panel easier by popping out from the back. Here is the picture of where it is and what it looks like

From inside the console, remove the connector from the convertible top switch located next to the emergency brake by pushing of the release tab and pulling towards the back seat.

3- Locate the wire harness which is directly under the convertible top switch. It has a blank connector on it that needs to be popped off by pressing on the side tabs on the end closer to the wires and pulling on it towards the back seat. the harness is mounted on a metal tab. You need to push on that plastic tab upwards as noted on the picture to release the harness from the metal tab.

The first two are pics of the connector blank once it was pulled out

4-Once the plastic blank piece has been removed and the harness is free from the tab, put your CD changer on the top corner of the console, like this:

If you were able to remove the panel where the convertible top switch is, make the connection to the harness from there, if not hold the unit with one hand and with the other hand make the connection from the console well, if your hands are as big as mine you'll have fun doing it but its doable and better than dismantling the console. Once the connection is made, install the convertible top connector back on the switch REMEMBER TO DO THIS SO YOU DON'T HAVE TO TAKE THE CHANGER BACK OUT LIKE ME. CHECK BOTH CONNECTIONS

5-Drop your new console insert (you need to buy this from the dealer) and then drop the cd changer unit in the well with the letters facing the drivers seat like this:

It is a DIN mounted unit, no need for extra brackets, push down on it until you hear two clicks and it is flush with the console.

Reed the instructions on how to load the discs in there and enjoy your new changer!
In my 2004 there was no need to re-cod via Vag Com, it is a direct plug and play unit. Note that I have the original Monsoon Casette player with CD changer controls.

Some of the pictures were taken yesterday as I installed, some I didn't have so I went back out today to tame some more to be able to document it better for you guys. that's why there is a time difference between them but it truly is a 20 min installation.

Good Luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2010, 05:09 PM
Member Sponsor

Car: '05 Vert "Dark Flint Limited Edition"

Me likes it! Excellent job!

My little cubby/change pocket filler is going to be different than yours, because it is just an "open void" down into that area. I'm also betting that since my armrest slides forward for better postioning in use, that is why the lock and hence, catch, was deleted!

MORAV
'01 Corvette Convertible, Magnetic Red, Light Oak Top, Light Oak Leather Interior
'96 Suburban LT 2500, 454BB, Summit White, Neutral Leather Interior
'95 Camaro Z28 Convertible, Polo Green, Black Top, Tan Leather Interior
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2010, 05:15 PM
treiber gefunden

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyOtherRidesAVette View Post
Me likes it! Excellent job!

My little cubby/change pocket filler is going to be different than yours, because it is just an "open void" down into that area. I'm also betting that since my armrest slides forward for better postioning in use, that is why the lock and hence, catch, was deleted!

MORAV
Actually mine slides forward as well. From the e mail you sent me I have been scratching my head as to why yours does not have that lock. It makes sense on a vert, they put a lock on the rear seat's access to trunk, glove compartment and trunk switch so that you can "safely" park your vert with the top down. Why would they choose to put the console lock on some on and not others is beyond me. Maybe a year model difference? IDK
Old 12-23-2010, 05:26 PM
Member Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Arce View Post
Actually mine slides forward as well. From the e mail you sent me I have been scratching my head as to why yours does not have that lock. It makes sense on a vert, they put a lock on the rear seat's access to trunk, glove compartment and trunk switch so that you can "safely" park your vert with the top down. Why would they choose to put the console lock on some on and not others is beyond me. Maybe a year model difference? IDK
It was about worthless anyway! What the h could you put in it? Other than the 6cd? Like I said, the console 6cd is just temp anyway because I'm going for the trunk mount which was never available in the vert for some reason. Again, dumb as no lock, why not where it's protected from both the elemnts and the thieves.

Will your harness get me from the console to the trunk (long enough for good hidden routing)? Be way easier than routing from the head unit! I can splice in the wires at the console harness if necessary.

MORAV
Old 12-23-2010, 05:54 PM
treiber gefunden

Quote:
It was about worthless anyway! What the h could you put in it? Other than the 6cd? Like I said, the console 6cd is just temp anyway because I'm going for the trunk mount which was never available in the vert for some reason. Again, dumb as no lock, why not where it's protected from both the elemnts and the thieves.

Will your harness get me from the console to the trunk (long enough for good hidden routing)? Be way easier than routing from the head unit! I can splice in the wires at the console harness if necessary.

MORAV
I'm going to say no, only because on one end it has a blue/green/yellow plug that goes in the back of the factory radio and the other end has the same connector that your existing harness has under the console.
As far as the CD changer in the trunk, THANK YOU! I thought it was just me with the designs complaints.
Not only that but CD changers capable of playing MP3 and WAV files have been available for a while, and yet these only play regular CD's and valued at $600+?

I am not complaining, I mean I only paid $39 for mine but it makes no sense to not have a trunk mounted one. Except for when you have to take the spare tire in and out. I can see some ppl destroying it
Old 12-23-2010, 06:00 PM
Member Sponsor

Quote:
I'm going to say no, only because on one end it has a blue/green/yellow plug that goes in the back of the factory radio and the other end has the same connector that your existing harness has under the console.
As far as the CD changer in the trunk, THANK YOU! I thought it was just me with the designs complaints.
Not only that but CD changers capable of playing MP3 and WAV files have been available for a while, and yet these only play regular CD's and valued at $600+?

I am not complaining, I mean I only paid $39 for mine but it makes no sense to not have a trunk mounted one. Except for when you have to take the spare tire in and out. I can see some ppl destroying it
No, I should be able to cut the head plug of the harness and cut the plug off the harness in the console and splice the wires, IF they aren't doing something trick in the harness. Althoung I could just as easily buy a chunk of how many lead?, what guage?, cut the plug at the console, splice it on the trunk end, and soldier the connections at the console harness tail, I guess. Just looking for a use for your harness. Couldn't run and buy a piece of multi lead wire for that. How long is it? Same amount of leads at both ends? There is not the same amount on my GM trunk harnesses.

Btw my '05 has an MP3 factory jack. I think those head units you are talking about do also, the jack is just remote, like mine. And the head unit reads the MP3, selects, everything, but I know **** about MP3s. lmao

Postscript: I don't like the potential exposure to the elements, and I like the use of cartridges, where I can pre-load several for a trip and not deal with cd cases or loose cds. I know MP3!!!!

MORAV

Last edited by MyOtherRidesAVette; 12-23-2010 at 06:05 PM..
Old 12-23-2010, 06:49 PM
treiber gefunden

Quote:
No, I should be able to cut the head plug of the harness and cut the plug off the harness in the console and splice the wires, IF they aren't doing something trick in the harness. Althoung I could just as easily buy a chunk of how many lead?, what guage?, cut the plug at the console, splice it on the trunk end, and soldier the connections at the console harness tail, I guess. Just looking for a use for your harness. Couldn't run and buy a piece of multi lead wire for that. How long is it? Same amount of leads at both ends? There is not the same amount on my GM trunk harnesses.

Btw my '05 has an MP3 factory jack. I think those head units you are talking about do also, the jack is just remote, like mine. And the head unit reads the MP3, selects, everything, but I know **** about MP3s. lmao

Postscript: I don't like the potential exposure to the elements, and I like the use of cartridges, where I can pre-load several for a trip and not deal with cd cases or loose cds. I know MP3!!!!

MORAV
I hear you, before I added the factory iPod/aux jack to my Dodge Ram I used the in-dash 6 CD changer which is capable of playing songs compressed to MP3 format from your computer, and DVD format is ridiculous like 500 songs per disc. Look into your trunk mounted unit, (I know U didn't install it yet don't get fresh on me) it may have the capability to play compressed music (such as MP3), if it does it'll say MP3 on it. Then you can burn discs from compressed music in your computer and narrow the amount of CD's in your car. For instance you can have over 10 full Eagles or Credence's albums (am I on the right track?) in one CD , so instead of six magazines now you need only one I only mention this because you say you don't know much about mp3

Unfortunately mine does not have the aux jack like yours does, so for now I am happy with the changer, later down the road I will look for a donor car with the above mentioned. I have all my music backed in my computer, if a disc gets scratched it costs me a few cents to replace, BUT, the rear mounted with the magazines is a lot easier to load and unload as you mention. I only bought this because of the price.
I also thought about the elements, dust more than anything else.
Old 12-23-2010, 06:55 PM
Member Sponsor

Quote:
I hear you, before I added the factory iPod/aux jack to my Dodge Ram I used the in-dash 6 CD changer which is capable of playing songs compressed to MP3 format from your computer, and DVD format is ridiculous like 500 songs per disc. Look into your trunk mounted unit, (I know U didn't install it yet don't get fresh on me) it may have the capability to play compressed music (such as MP3), if it does it'll say MP3 on it. Then you can burn discs from compressed music in your computer and narrow the amount of CD's in your car. For instance you can have over 10 full Eagles or Credence's albums (am I on the right track?) in one CD , so instead of six magazines now you need only one I only mention this because you say you don't know much about mp3

Unfortunately mine does not have the aux jack like yours does, so for now I am happy with the changer, later down the road I will look for a donor car with the above mentioned. I have all my music backed in my computer, if a disc gets scratched it costs me a few cents to replace, BUT, the rear mounted with the magazines is a lot easier to load and unload as you mention. I only bought this because of the price.
I also thought about the elements, dust more than anything else.
News Flash - The trunk mount are around for $79.95 and the mounts abt $20. What about the harness you have? See my questions. Want to part with yours if the leads are correct at the head end of it? I don't want to run a harness all the way to the head and have to pull the head unit! Or are you, NOW, just going to keep yours for later? lmao

P.S. - Anybody gonna want a "new" 6cd console unit in about a month, for $40 shipped? In original packaging.

MORAV
Old 12-23-2010, 08:02 PM
treiber gefunden

Quote:
News Flash - The trunk mount are around for $79.95 and the mounts abt $20. What about the harness you have? See my questions. Want to part with yours if the leads are correct at the head end of it? I don't want to run a harness all the way to the head and have to pull the head unit! Or are you, NOW, just going to keep yours for later? lmao

P.S. - Anybody gonna want a "new" 6cd console unit in about a month, for $40 shipped? In original packaging.

MORAV
No wise guy, I am not keeping mine for later! If I ever spend $ on something will be the aux jack or iPod adapter.

The harness I have is just over 6' in length, radio end has 9 leads out and the CD connector has 11 here is the direct link to it on ECS

Volkswagen New Beetle 2.0 > Search > Cd Changer > ES#337166 CD Changer Wiring Harness - 3B0051592B
Old 12-24-2010, 02:44 AM
Member Sponsor

The cd changer uses 10 active pins in the male side of the connection. When you get a chance can you look an see if two of the eleven are common to one pin. Ditto the other end, how many active pins? If it's not active the will be no metal connector in the plastic plug. Sounds like the have some "trick" wiring in the run of the harness like GM. Probably going to be easiest to just clip off the plug in the console, extend the wires to the trunk, and reconnect the plug.

MORAV
Old 12-24-2010, 03:06 AM
treiber gefunden

Quote:
The cd changer uses 10 active pins in the male side of the connection. When you get a chance can you look an see if two of the eleven are common to one pin. Ditto the other end, how many active pins? If it's not active the will be no metal connector in the plastic plug. Sounds like the have some "trick" wiring in the run of the harness like GM. Probably going to be easiest to just clip off the plug in the console, extend the wires to the trunk, and reconnect the plug.

MORAV
10-4 I'll check that for you 2morrow
Old 12-24-2010, 04:17 AM
Member Sponsor

Quote:
10-4 I'll check that for you 2morrow
My 10-20 is bed in about 5 min, good buddy, talk later.
Old 03-31-2011, 01:01 AM

OK, I just put this one and my hands are still recovering. I have the plugs all connected and the top is working, but it seems as there is no power to the changer. I disconnected it and tried again but to no avail. Any ideas? I saw there were two fuses for the radio and both of those seem ok. This is an 04 Convertible. The radio is the standard cassette with the CD changer controls.

Thanks
Old 03-31-2011, 01:13 AM
Member Sponsor

Question

This may be a stupid question when the new ones are $39 but is yours new, or did you buy it of someone used? You may need to get a meter or test light and make sure the harness is hot. Power to operate it does not come from the radio head. T4L is going to have to look in his Bentley and see where the power is fused.

M.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:02 AM

Yes, I have one that I just received from ECS. Yes, if you can find out what pins or fuse I should check that would be helpful. When you first turn on the car, should you see any light on the changer? I don't see anything. Thanks for the help.

Quote:
This may be a stupid question when the new ones are $39 but is yours new, or did you buy it of someone used? You may need to get a meter or test light and make sure the harness is hot. Power to operate it does not come from the radio head. T4L is going to have to look in his Bentley and see where the power is fused.

M.
Old 03-31-2011, 05:18 PM
Member Sponsor

Exclamation

This is a guess, but an educated one (doesn't always work with VW engineering though), the changer should power up through the use of a relay controlled by the radio head unit. In other words the head unit, "requesting" the cd changer, turns the changer on. I haven't installed mine, because I think I'm going to do the trunk mount instead, for both security and the ability to use multiple magazines. T$L has installed his, and should be able to answer you question, and whether or not the unit's power is controlled by the HU.

M.
Old 04-03-2011, 05:49 PM
Member Sponsor

Thumbs up

Here is the p/n for the little "cubby" (storage compartment, change holder) that fills the small space below the Changer, in the console, along with an online source if you don't want to do the Dealer thing.

VW P/N ICO-857-058B-33N
Volkswagen Beetle Center Console Storage Unit at Dealerfit.com

M.
Old 04-26-2011, 03:50 PM

Just an update, I was finally able to coble together a partially working cable and VAG-COM to read the radio codes, my came as default 06031 which means no changer installed, I changed it to 06033 which should be changer installed, but then nothing worked any different. The radio still said no changer when I pushed the button. The manual seems to indicate pulling out the radio to install the harness, but the harness is already installed, so maybe the cable isn't connected to the back of the radio? Without another Beetle or changer to test, I can only guess that my changer is non-functional

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderman01 View Post
Yes, I have one that I just received from ECS. Yes, if you can find out what pins or fuse I should check that would be helpful. When you first turn on the car, should you see any light on the changer? I don't see anything. Thanks for the help.
Old 04-27-2011, 01:35 PM
Member Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderman01 View Post
Just an update, I was finally able to coble together a partially working cable and VAG-COM to read the radio codes, my came as default 06031 which means no changer installed, I changed it to 06033 which should be changer installed, but then nothing worked any different. The radio still said no changer when I pushed the button. The manual seems to indicate pulling out the radio to install the harness, but the harness is already installed, so maybe the cable isn't connected to the back of the radio? Without another Beetle or changer to test, I can only guess that my changer is non-functional
Here's the factory install manual for the changer, both the trunk mount and the console mount. I still think you need to check the console harness to see if it is sending power to the unit. Sorry, I can't help with a wiring schematic to identify hte power lead in the harness. You should be able, however, to individually check each on with a multi-meter.

.pdf file only showing first page, need to investigate and may need to rescan into a new file, I'll get back to you.

M.
Old 10-18-2011, 07:15 PM
Ragtops can be fun!

Car: 2003 New Beetle Convertible

Does anyone have the storage tray they'd like to sell who has done this conversion?
Cara: 1999 Techno Blue TDI 5spd
Stinky: 2000 Cyber Green TDI 5spd
----gone, but not forgotten
Charlie: 2002 Cyber Green 2.0 "retro" 5spd (traded)
Marley: 1998 Black 2.0 5spd ratrod (now Buckwheat/Jerry O)
Peaches/Patches: 1998 Black/Silver two-tone TDI 5spd (total loss)
Phoenix: 2003 Uni Red TDI 5-speed swap (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.