Parking brake ground wire for DVD playback - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > Discussion - Technical > Car Audio

Car Audio Discussion of car audio applications pertaining to the Vokswagen New Beetle.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2011, 03:23 AM

Default Parking brake ground wire for DVD playback

I've just finished installing a Viper alarm system in the 1998 New Beetle i bought for my daughter! The factory head unit was pretty busted up i.e. missing eject button, broken tape player, so i found a good deal on a Clarion NZ500 for a replacement. All the wiring is done including a back-up camera I installed above the license plate. However, I need to hook up the parking brake wire ground to the Clarion in order to get the DVD player to work. I know i can bypass it but, since she's a teenage girl, I don't want her to be able to work the DVD feature unless the emergency brake is engadged. Can someone please tell what color(s) the wire is and where exactly i can find it? Otherwise i just won't hook it up at all since I purchased it mainly for the nav and ipod hook ups anyway. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2011, 03:57 AM

Car: 1999 new beetle. 2 liter

cant help ya with the color of the parking brake....

but youll probably need to find it. as many nav units only have access to setting routes and searching things when the car is not in motion...or the parking brake is set....not sure how the clarion one works...but you might wanna check that out if you cant find the color of the wire...

of course i bet you can sneak a peak into teh console to see the wire color...as only a few wires should be in there.
Old 01-23-2011, 01:20 PM

Thanks for responding. Hopefully someone out there will be able to tel me the parking brake ground wire color. According to the install manual of the clarion head unit, it says "When he paking brake wire is not connected, the monitor will not show any video sources." So, hopefully, that means it won't effect the nave system. I'm goung to try looking in the console today. I was hoping to put the dash back together this morning after i finish wrapping all the wires from the alarm install. I guess before i do that i'll open up that parking brake console and se what i can find but i've looked at pictures of that section and i didn't see any wires.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:57 AM

I took apart the center console of my daughter's 1998 new beetle and found the switch just below where the emergency brake is hinged. there are two wires connected to this switch, brown and brown/white. I connected the saftey wire from the stereo to the brown wire since the wiring diagrams i found online all show that for the new beetle the brown wire is the ground. However, it didn't work. I will try reversing the wires next to see if that works but, I'm going on vacation so it will have to wait until i get back. I will also be installing a backup camera to the head unitl at that time. i will post when it's completed.
Old 01-24-2011, 03:41 PM

Car: 2001 VW Beetle GL 2.slow

I had the same issue in my yukon, found a dvd relay kit on ebay that lets you run the dvd player while in drive it was like 18.00
Old 03-15-2011, 06:04 PM

you don't really have many choices as to what that switch is switching, it is either switching +12 volts or gnd.....either way, if it is +12 volts, wire one side of a 12v realy coil to it, adn the other to gnd....and then use the no contact side of the relay to switch whatever you need....the only thing i would be careful of is to be sure it is actually 12 volts...and not a logic signal for the ecm..12 volts or a relay coil would cause damage to the ecm if it is....
Old 03-18-2011, 07:09 AM

Car: 00 TDI NB

the ones i've installed (I can not speak for your particular unit) but other clarion models. the easiest way to do it is get a standard switch from radio shack and run it inline to any ground. that's it. I've never actually seen one that wants a +12, that does not mean there isn't one just i've not seen one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.