Upgrade 2003 Monsoon tape deck to newer Monsoon CD/MP3/iPod compatible radio - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > Discussion - Technical > Car Audio

Car Audio Discussion of car audio applications pertaining to the Vokswagen New Beetle.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2012, 03:38 PM

Car: 2003 Beetle CyberGreen Color Concept
Default Upgrade 2003 Monsoon tape deck to newer Monsoon CD/MP3/iPod compatible radio

I bought my 16 Y/O daughter a 2003 Cyber Green color concept 1.8T GLS 5-speed with 68K we both LOVE the carand it is exceptionally clean. It has the factory Monsoon tape deck and external 6-disk changer and works perfectly, although, it's technology is dated compared to a 16 Y/O's standards (we joke about sliding her iPhone into the cassette slot). I would like to change out the existing single DIN OEM Monsoon radio with a newer, more robust, singlle DIN OEM Monsoon radio that will play MP3 CD's with iPod integration out of a newer Beetle/Audi/Passat/Jetta etc. I would like to stay with an OEM radio so that some young punk doesn't bust up her car to get a after market radio out of the dash (cause Daddy will have to pay for the repairs).

Does anyone know of a direct replacement that I can use that won't require me to butcher the wiring harness or dash? I understand (or think I understand) a newer radio may have to be re-programmed by the dealer in order for it to work in the kiddo's Beetle. Please correct me if that is not the case. Any recommendations other than after market? BlueTooth w/A2DP (stream music to the radio from, say,an iPhone) would be a definite plus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2012, 04:51 PM

How funny, I'm in the same boat. My daughter turned 16 thursday, she got an 03 beetle red with the turbo 1.8..I'll be watching your tread...
Old 02-20-2012, 11:35 PM

It looks like any 1998-2007 VW Monsoon CD player will work, but you need the security code (?). I found the info here:

Monsoon CD player swap
Post #8 which is on this forum.

On EBay, they range from $300-360 (with the security code included).
I think I am going to try to get a better deal from one of the salvage yards in Houston and do this:

radio code (again!)
Post #5 which is on this forum.

Which will cost another $25. They say the dealership charges $89!
Next, I think I'm going to add 2 iPod connection kits at the time of the radio swap. I think 1 will plug in and take the place of the CD changer (this will use an old iPhone 3GS and mount in the glove box) the other, hopefully, will plug into the satellite radio port and come out in the center console where she can use her iPhone to play music, charge the phone and possiblly use internet radio apps.

Next, I guess I need to start researching iPod connection to see what option are available and how much they cost (unless people offer up suggestions). I think my total cost is going to be about $400, which would probably be about the same or less than an after market set-up. I'm OK with that, it maintains the OEM look and feel, the resale value, and hopefully stops some young punks from breaking into the car causing $$$ in damage to the window and dash.

One more thing, it looks like it may be possible to add an aux input as well
Any input would be greatly appreciated, I've never done this or owned a VW. I'll try to post back with my results and do's and don't's I learn along the way.
Old 02-25-2012, 02:40 AM

~UPDATE~

Checked at least 20 salvage yards in Houston today, no luck. I found 2 OEM cassette players and possibly an OEM CD changer. One place checked and said that there are none to be had locally, they could order me one if I left a deposit and it would run me about $150-$175. Sounded too sketchy, too far to drive.....I'd rather see what EBay has to offer.

Checked EBay and found the following info (unsure of the accuracy):

Model: 1C0 035 196 CT Fits: 1998-2010 Notes: Satelite Ready Price: ~$200
Model: 1C0 035 196 P Fits: 1998-2010 Notes: CD Changer Control Price: ~$30 CD Broken
Model: 1C0 035 196 CQ Fits: 1998-2010 Notes: CD Changer Control Price: ~$300
Model: 1C0 035 196 BG Fits: 2006-2007 Notes: Price: ~$185
Model: 1C0 035 196 Q Fits: 1998-2007 Notes: Price: ~$320
Model: 1C0 035 196 F Fits: 1998-2007 Notes: Price: ~$320
Model: Fits: 2006 Notes: CD Changer Control Price: ~$265
Model: Fits: 1998-2007 Notes: Price: ~$330
Model: Fits: 1998-2007 Notes: Price: ~$360

Some came with the radio code info, some didn't. Most said in the ad they fit 1998-2010 or 1998-2007, but when you put the Year/Make/Model/Trim Level into their calculator included on almost each of the individual auctions, most said it wouldn't work. The calculator on the auction for the1C0 035 196 CT said it would work on my 2003 Beetle and all of the ones without a model number said they would work, go figure (maybe it'll work, but will it work correctly without butchering the harness is the question). All of the radio's appear to have the same buttons and knobs, I can't really see the back side where the plugs are and haven't pulled my radio to see what mine looks like.

Prices seem to be all over the place, lots of different models and year model compatibility are inconsistent. I'll keep researching and posting my findings, if anyone else finds any valuable information, PLEASE post it.
Old 02-26-2012, 02:50 PM

Car: 2001 turbo
Default Anybody found an answer?

Not really sure if the question has been answered - is there a way to take the input cables from the CD-changer and make them the input cable for mp3 player? I'm new owner of a 2001 and need to have a better solution than playing iphone through the radio (too much interference - whines with the engine, etc.). I've got an inquiry at the local dealer (but have it on good authority that they are crooks). Will be researching with car audio businesses next week.
Old 02-26-2012, 03:10 PM

Yeah, that seems to be pretty easy, most of the iPod adapter seems to plug into and take the place of the CD changer. Although I haven't done it, most people are having their best luck with BlitzSafe.iPod adapter. I was wanting to have mine plug directly into the back of the radio.

VW makes an OEM version, but I think you can set up only six play list and they have to be labeled CD Playlist 1, CD playlist 2, etc.
Old 03-17-2012, 01:16 PM

OK, I went to over 20 salvage yards in Houston, and I found 2 cassette players and possibly a CD changer. On one of my final visits, a woman looked in the computer and told me that there are none to be had in Houston. Said she could order my one (salvaged) if I left a deposit and the total would be $150-$175. I decided eBay was going to be my best bet.

I finally found one for $150 +$20 s&h. I contacted the seller and the last 2 alpha characters were BP. He assured me it would work and that I would be happy with it, he was right. He threw in the radio code for free and even let me borrow his radio removal tools which I mailed back to him. It has the red and blue illumination lights, and AUX and SAT buttons. Installation was a snap, the radio removal keys worked, the radio code worked (he did not have my VIN number), all of the plugs were the same....it literally took about 10 minutes.

The MFG date on the radio was 2006, the CD changer still works, and get this....the CD changer now plays MP3 CD's! How cool is that?!I was a few beers into the CD changer test and it seems like there were a few minor details left to work out (I think it played them, but only found the first 20 or so songs, can't remember). On one of the CD's I put directly into the radio (which had over 5 albums on it) it even showed the song title. Imma do some more research by putting them back into my PC to verify ID Tag info structure and if I burned each album in different folders or just one big list, and if so how many folders and how many songs in each folder max.

Next, the iPhone/iPod adapter. I looked on efigcarstereo web site and found a multitude of iPod adapters. I figured since I now have a SAT and AUX option that I might be able to keep the CD changer since it now adds more convenience (re-encoding MP3's back to .WAV format SUCKS and don't hold as many songs). It looks as though it may be possible, but there were too many offerings and not enough details to verify that I would be getting the best product to suit my needs, I called them. At the time of the call I didn't have the radio in hand, much less installed so I was probably one of those people they hate to deal with, none the less, they were very friendly and helpful. I think I spoke to Chris, i explained i wanted something that would plug into the back of the radio and could be mounted in the glove box or console and not have to be touched except from the radio, he said he hasn't installed one in about 2 years in a new beetle and he'd have to do some checking and could possibly build me one. He also said only track number would be displayed on the radio no matter which route I went. Either way, he said he would get back to me by email. Still waiting....

Oh, couple of more things, it looks like efigcarstereo sells a splitter cable that will let me keep the CD changer, but it may or may not work. I could possibly look up the eBay sellers name if someone else is interested to see if he has more ( looks like he may have a radio repair shop or something). If anyone else is interested in my findings on the file folders structure and ID Tag info for the MP3 CD's, reply to the post.
Old 03-18-2012, 05:02 PM

I found this info on CD file folders, ID3 tags etc. Hope this helps
Attached Images/Files
File Type: pdf OEM Monsoon MP3.pdf (309.6 KB, 404 views)
Old 04-02-2012, 02:44 PM

Car: 03, 1.9 TDI Silver New Beetle (American Version)
Default Getting a CD Box for the radio... brand has to be specific?!

Hello beetle fans.

First off, let me introducemyself, since Im new here. Im a 27 year-old portuguese girl, and Ive just recently purchased a VW New Beetle from 2003(bought it last month actually). The car is originally German (it had german plate since 2003 until 2007 and then it came to Portugal and received a portuguese plate in late 2007). Anyway, it is the American Version of the New Beetle.

Im pretty happy about it, theres only one thing that "bugs" me, so to speak... The original radio is just an auto-radio and K7, doesnt have the CD player option.

Ive been told there is the option of applying a cd box to it, that could be installed in the truck of the car.
My question is... Is there a specific brand (or a few) for this cd box that is recommended for the VW New Beetle? For instance, can I buy a Sony cd box, or a Pioneer one, or is there a specific one recommended for this model?

Im sorry if the question is old news around here (and my appologies for that in advance), but there were so many topics in the radio general topic, that I dintt know where to start looking first... :/

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 04-02-2012, 04:39 PM

Car: 1999 Silver New Beetle GLX 1.8T 5 speed ,2007 New Beetle 2.5L 5 speed Harvest Moon RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSCarvalho View Post
Hello beetle fans.

First off, let me introducemyself, since Im new here. Im a 27 year-old portuguese girl, and Ive just recently purchased a VW New Beetle from 2003(bought it last month actually). The car is originally German (it had german plate since 2003 until 2007 and then it came to Portugal and received a portuguese plate in late 2007). Anyway, it is the American Version of the New Beetle.

Im pretty happy about it, theres only one thing that "bugs" me, so to speak... The original radio is just an auto-radio and K7, doesnt have the CD player option.

Ive been told there is the option of applying a cd box to it, that could be installed in the truck of the car.
My question is... Is there a specific brand (or a few) for this cd box that is recommended for the VW New Beetle? For instance, can I buy a Sony cd box, or a Pioneer one, or is there a specific one recommended for this model?

Im sorry if the question is old news around here (and my appologies for that in advance), but there were so many topics in the radio general topic, that I dintt know where to start looking first... :/

Any help would be appreciated.
Anything from sony, pioneer etc I'm sure could be rigged to work with the factory radio but the easiest way would be to buy an OEM (VW) CD changer either from eBay or even a private seller on this site. There is also a website or 2 that sells OEM changers at a somewhat reasonable price...
Old 04-03-2012, 10:14 AM

Thank you for your help 300exoh.

I think thats what Im gonna do; buy an original (VW) CD changer. It probably is the most secure thing to do...

Now, about that one or two sites that sell them at a reasonable price... can I ask you to please leave me the links to them (or the names)?

Much appreciated for your help and suggestions.
Old 04-03-2012, 12:35 PM

Car: 1999 Silver New Beetle GLX 1.8T 5 speed ,2007 New Beetle 2.5L 5 speed Harvest Moon RIP

Quote:
Thank you for your help 300exoh.

I think thats what Im gonna do; buy an original (VW) CD changer. It probably is the most secure thing to do...

Now, about that one or two sites that sell them at a reasonable price... can I ask you to please leave me the links to them (or the names)?

Much appreciated for your help and suggestions.
Sure thing...here's a few...

VW 1J6035111X CDCHANGER

1998-2004 Volkswagen Beetle Factory Receiver Remote CD Changer Player - R-1241

https://www.volkswagen-parts.com/ind...f6855c5687770b
Old 04-03-2012, 02:33 PM

Thanks so much, once again!
Old 04-04-2012, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Thanks so much, once again!
Glad I could help. I know there are more places that sell the CD changer but for some reason thats all I could find...

Does you beetle have a spot in the console for the changer or were you looking for a trunk mounted one?
Old 04-04-2012, 06:54 PM

Well, honestly I wanna have a CD player, whether its fit in the radio itself or in the truck, but I was actually considering the truck option, because I think I would have to change the original radio (I think the one I have in the car is the original one) and I dont see the necessity for it... So Im gonna try the truck option... Although I dont know if every car (that is, every New Beetle) is able to receive that option...
Old 04-04-2012, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Well, honestly I wanna have a CD player, whether its fit in the radio itself or in the truck, but I was actually considering the truck option, because I think I would have to change the original radio (I think the one I have in the car is the original one) and I dont see the necessity for it... So Im gonna try the truck option... Although I dont know if every car (that is, every New Beetle) is able to receive that option...
You should be able to use the original radio to control the changer. If you look in the trunk on the left(drivers side) panel down near the floor you should see a small cover that is about 3"x4"...remove that and check to see if you have a wiring harness there. If so it should be a simple plug and play connection.

When I got my 99 beetle it had a changer in the back and I was able to swap it over to my wifes 07 beetle and it hooked right up and works quite well with the factory radio.

Keep in mind if you buy a new changer you will need an install kit which is basically just a mounting bracket and housing to cover the changer. Most places that sell the changer will also have the bracket.
Old 05-29-2012, 01:36 PM
Time to unpimp ze auto!

Car: 2002 Snap Orange 1.8 CC

How's it working finding a solution to the iPod to Monsoon so far? I have a 2002 CC Snap Orange (Oh Snap), and the tape deck is broken. It keeps kicking out my iPod adaptor. I bought an iPod radio transmitter and set it to European settings (which gives you a few more stations to play with) and have pretty good signal, but of course it's not crystal clear like a Monsoon with iPod integration. I seem to remember that one year the Beetle came out with an iPod edition. Does anyone else remember this? Maybe it's possible to get one of those Monsoon radios. I haven't tried looking at junk yards for Monsoon radios yet, but the prices on eBay are sky high. I love my iPhone and would much rather keep my old school iPod in my bug, or connect my iPhone, but I'd prefer crystal clear sound.

Meet NEMO, my 2002 Snap Orange 1.8T CC
Old 05-29-2012, 02:18 PM
5/23/10 <3

Car: 1999 Techno Blue GL 2.0 5-speed (RIP), 1984 Jetta GL TD, 2003 20th GTI

I have a device that plugs into the amp to be able to use an ipod or mp3 player. Plug it in where the disc changer would be. Works great IMO.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
The money saver:2001 Jetta TDI GL. 132k. Dead auto, swapped to 3 pedals. Hubby's DD and our trip car
Old 06-19-2012, 05:23 AM
Member Sponsor

Car: 2K12 Beetle 2.0T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smileybug View Post
I have a device that plugs into the amp to be able to use an ipod or mp3 player. Plug it in where the disc changer would be. Works great IMO.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
What is the adapter and where did you buy it?
thanks!
Old 06-19-2012, 02:26 PM
5/23/10 <3

Car: 1999 Techno Blue GL 2.0 5-speed (RIP), 1984 Jetta GL TD, 2003 20th GTI

It came with the car and last I looked the exact one I bought wasn't available. There are others out there though. I'll see if I can find a link for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
2003 beetle , monsoon radio , mp3 player

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.