FYI for all of you missing radio codes - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > Discussion - Technical > Car Audio

Car Audio Discussion of car audio applications pertaining to the Vokswagen New Beetle.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2006, 09:59 PM
Got My Bug 04/29/06!!!

Car: 1998 2.0L Cool White
Thumbs up FYI for all of you missing radio codes

OMG...I just had to share this for all of you currently in this situation, or future NB owners to have in case they get in this situation.

This is SOOOOOO COOOOOOOL!!!!!!!!!!!

I called VW and expressed my desire to find Casper's original dealer to see if they had the radio code on file.

He came from North Little Rock, AR, and they didn't have anything on file. *sighs*

So, I called VW back and told them what was going on. I said I felt kind of insulted because I'm being told by the dealers that I'm going to be charged to find my code when I'm a new owner, when the manual says the help is provided free of charge.

And then, what if the radio doesn't work? $50.00 for nothing?

The woman said "okay...because YOU mentioned that, I can see if we can give you a one time free code."

So, about 5 minutes later, it's approved.

She's calling my closest VW dealer, and they have been instructed to pull my unit for FREE to get my code.

So, in other words...call VW...explain that the manual says that if you lose the card, that your VW dealer will help you for free, and then they may very well do what they did for me for you.

Just an FYI that I HOPE helps you all!!!

Also...she's sending me a birth certificate for Casper, FREE in the mail...that'll be cute. :-D

Last edited by bugdreamsdocometrue; 05-23-2006 at 10:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2006, 06:53 AM
Beetle maniac

Car: New Beetle 2000 GLS, Audi A6 2000

Yes! You are right! Some Vw dealers try to scam customers for the code just because they think we dont read fine print in the manual. My local and not so helpful Mckenna VW Huntington Beach tried to charge $180.00!! I told them i just need a code thank you; and they said that they need to plug the car to a machine and diagnostics, bla bla bla. I dont like them(more like hate them):
So dont let any dealer push you around!!

Although i have a secret!
I got my stock radio to work by unplugging the battery and then re-plugging (radio will say "safe") it and then turn the key to the on position. After a few minutes i turned the car on and the radio cleared off and started working normally(to the tune of Depeche mode) as if it recognized the car keys and that im the owner. This was great because i have also lost my radio card I dont know if it will work on other radios than your own, but thats my next project.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:55 PM

Car: 2000 TDI 1.9 L
Default Jim Ellis in Atlanta is NO help!

I took the radio out of my 2000 beetle and figured I'd just call and get a code after replacing the foam on the heater door. Nope not at all. No only was the guy rude about it, after telling him it was an hour and a half drive to them, he then puts me on hold and it hangs up. So I call back and ask is there anything else I can do? They said, No you have to bring it in let us take it out and put it on the computer to get the code. I asked how much and he said $100.00 . I simply said, thanks for nothing and explained there is a Walmart that has a radio for $50.00 and the harness for $15.00 I'll just go that route.

I hope others have better luck with their dealerships than I did.
Old 03-28-2013, 12:05 AM
Mom, Wife, Lover of VW's

Car: 2008 Salsa Red S 2.5L

Somewhere on the forum I read there are two places you can find the code on our NB.
1. On the back of the radio, you need the special $4 tools you can get on ebay, pull the radio and the code is on the back.

2. In the trunk there is a label in the area your spare tire is.

I hope this helps you guys out.

R

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Org members Facebook group: "The Collective" CLICK HERE
Old 03-28-2013, 03:20 AM

Car: 2005 GLS TDI

Because I was thinking about removing the upper dash cover & radio bezel and painting them the stock body color, I found a radio removal kit from Walmart that was $5.00 (it says it is universal for Ford & VWs).

I'll check for a label in the spare tire well. Last time I looked there it looked like it hadn't ever been touched. Hopefully the label will be there.

Thanks, VWGunther
Old 04-04-2013, 04:55 AM

CA, USA
Car: 2004 NBC 1.8T

Any VW service department should be able to get your code with the radio serial code and VIN in less than 5 minutes from their computer. No diagnostic connection is required. If they tell you otherwise call BS. Best to take your car along with the radio (removed).

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.