VAS 1978/4A Release Tool...where can I get one??? - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > Discussion - Technical > Car Audio

Car Audio Discussion of car audio applications pertaining to the Vokswagen New Beetle.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2006, 02:25 AM
Here to Bug You!

ND, USA
Car: 2003 NewBeetle GLX 1.8T
Default IPOD Adaptor VAS 1978/4A Release Tool...where can I get one???

Hi
I am hooking up the VW Ipod adapter and it it calls for a
VAS 1978/4A release tool. Ican't seem to find one on the internet for sale. Anybody know where to get one? any idea how much $ they cost?

Also any input /suggestions on the install would help and it isn't as easy following these instructions as I thought it would be. I have a 2003 VW Bug so I have the 3 part connector housing on the back of my radio.

I hope I don't end up having to take it into the dealer to put it in. PLeaZZee Help me.

Last edited by WendyBug; 06-09-2006 at 09:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2006, 03:14 AM
Take 1-2 caps PRN fun

Car: '13 Turbo Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by WendyBug
Hi
I am hooking up the VW Ipod adapter and it it calls for a
VAS 1978/4A release tool. Ican't seem to find one on the internet for sale. Anybody know where to get one? any idea how much $ they cost?

Also any input /suggestions on the install would help and it isn't as easy following these instructions as I thought it would be. I have a 2003 VW Bug so I have the 3 part connector housing on the back of my radio.

I hope I don't end up having to take it into the deal to put it in. PLeaZZee Help me.

It's just a 'radio release tool' that you can find on ebay for cheap You don't need the OEM one with that part #
Terbie 2001 Silver Sport 1.8T APR Stage III
—Adopted—
Pistachio 2002 Luna Green GLS 2.0SC
Beetle 2008 Deep Blue Pearl .:R32 1914/5000
Old 06-07-2006, 03:37 AM
Here to Bug You!

ND, USA

No, its not a radio release tool, it is for releasing a wire from the back of the radio so it can be connected to a different area. If I can figure out how to get the wire to come out of the connector housing without breaking it I would, but it needs a special tool called VAS 1978/4A or something similar to it.
Anyone??
Old 06-08-2006, 07:13 PM
Here to Bug You!

ND, USA

Well I found the tool on line for about $85. VW would sell me one for $65. I decided to have VW just install it for me for.
Hopefully they won't make me go broke for labor price.
Just so all you know, the
Original VW Ipod adaptor is NOT and Easy install like some of ya'all make it sound, unless maybe you have done these kind of things before....which I have not. I did get the radio out and put back in though. 1st time for everything
Old 06-08-2006, 10:15 PM
Here to Bug You!

ND, USA

I didn't buy the tool. And could not find it on Ebay. it was for sale on some VW Audi parts website. But I won't buy it, I will have the service shop install instead.
Yes the tool release the wires /metal tips from the housing, but I don't think I know what I am doing ..Ha... so Not sure even if the pics are of the right housing, Now I think it is the Black housing instead. The directions in the book are very limited and not easy to understand.
Old 06-08-2006, 10:15 PM
Here to Bug You!

ND, USA

I didn't buy the tool. And could not find it on Ebay. it was for sale on some VW Audi parts website. But I won't buy it, I will have the service shop install instead.
Yes the tool release the wires /metal tips from the housing, but I don't think I know what I am doing ..Ha... so Not sure even if the pics are of the right housing, Now I think it is the Black housing instead. The directions in the book are very limited and not easy to understand.
Old 06-10-2006, 06:01 AM

CA, USA
Car: 2004 NBC 1.8T
Default Hmmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WendyBug
Sounds like something you could pick up at a specialty electronics store for much cheaper.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.