2000 VW Beetle 2.0 - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > Discussion - Technical > Engine Swaps

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2007, 03:13 AM

Default 2000 VW Beetle 2.0

Ok, so here's the deal, I have a 2000 VW beetle with a fried engine. So I have been trying to do some research and figure out what the best thing to do would be.

Im looking at replacing the engine with another 2.0, so this is where things get sticky. I can pick up a 2.0 out of a 96 golf for $300, but i read somewhere about conflicts with "drive by wire" vs a throttle cable. Does anyone care to elaborate for me please? The second conflict I find is on a few ebay pages, so im looking for a 2.0L engine and there seems to be some distinguishing factor between a 2000 2.0L and 2001 2.0L. What are the differences?? My logic would lead me to believe that none of this should matter as long as the actual long block is the same, and i can just use all the other parts from the engine im pulling. Like the intake manifold and what not.

And if someone could point me to a swap write up that would be kick ass too. Thx and sorry for the long post.

oh and I would consider myself a semi-experienced mechanic. Ive swapped engines in Honda's before but never a V-Dub, this seems to be a completely different beast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2007, 05:02 AM
R32 Swap In-Progress...

Car: 2000 Beetle 3.2 24v

From what I understand VW motors are backwards compatible. Meaning that a MK4 motor will have all the mounts for a MK3, MK2 and a MK1.

But the 96 would be a MK3 and the Beetle is a MK4 (based on the MK4 Golf platform).

Try looking a bit harder, you'll find a MK4 2.0 for cheap without looking too hard.
Old 03-08-2008, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilloui05
Ok, so here's the deal, I have a 2000 VW beetle with a fried engine. So I have been trying to do some research and figure out what the best thing to do would be.

Im looking at replacing the engine with another 2.0
Hey - I'm just finishing up with a similar project. Pulled old engine out and put in a new longblock. The 96 you are talking about has the 'ABA' motor. Your Beetle has the 'AEG' motor.
I think the main difference is that the ABA has a standard type distributor and rotor, while the 2000 has an electronic coil pack. I don't think you can just pull the distributor and bolt on the coil pack because the block and/or mounting brackets are different. It would be a cobble job to make it work.
Also, I don't think the intake manifold will swap from the AEG to the ABA's head, so more problems there trying to get your MAF and and sensors to work..
Long story long... you need to find an AEG motor (98 and newer? up to 200x?) then you can use everything off of your existing motor
Old 04-18-2012, 04:37 PM

Sorry to revive a dead thread, but after looking at this I am curious if I was to change my 2000 2.0l auto for a mk4 2.0l engine with a manual box. Would it fit straight in or would you for see lot of issues with this swap.

If possible which engine would be best? Would it have to be from a golf or would any fit? Maybe even a TDI?
Old 04-18-2012, 05:29 PM
NB Yellow Trifecta

Car: Yellow '98 GLS / Lemon Yellow '99 GLS / Reflex Yellow & Sliver '00 GLX Turbo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambino40k View Post
Sorry to revive a dead thread, but after looking at this I am curious if I was to change my 2000 2.0l auto for a mk4 2.0l engine with a manual box. Would it fit straight in or would you for see lot of issues with this swap.

If possible which engine would be best? Would it have to be from a golf or would any fit? Maybe even a TDI?
If all you want to do is go from Automatic to Manual; just swap the transmission.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:30 PM

Car: 1999 Silver New Beetle GLX 1.8T 5 speed ,2007 New Beetle 2.5L 5 speed Harvest Moon RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambino40k View Post

Any engine from any of the mk4 platform will fit for the most part. You will have to modify almost anything you put in unless it's the same generation 2.0L. The 1.8T wouldn't be too difficult to swap in or even the newer 2.5L from possibly a wrecked donor car (2006+up). The most difficult route would be the TDI swap. You would have to change fuel system components and much more which could get costly fast. I don't think the 2.0L 5 speed swap would be too difficult. In fact I would say thats the best way to go but you will need to make several other changes when going from auto to manual.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.