VW Beetle Forum banner

gas or diesel beetle swap for new clean diesel...

3K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  macdave 
#1 ·
Hello. Brand new here, so please forgive if this has been asked and covered, though I didn't see a thread.

As an ardent fan of a) the current New Beetle body, and b) VWs new clean diesel engine (not available for the Beetle), I'm wondering what it would take to swap any current model, either gas or diesel (whichever makes most sense), for a clean diesel engine, perhaps from a new Golf. In suggesting whether it is possible and what would need to be done, assume that money is no object for now. This isn't supposed to be a money saver, just a way of getting my dream car, and an engine that makes environmental sense for now.

If certain models or years of NB would be easier as starting points than others, I'd appreciate knowing that too. Notwithstanding that, the newer the better.

Thank you!

#2 ·
assuming you were able to get a donor car- totalled vehicle you would most likely have to swap complete harness ecm engine and possibly trans from donor to new car. Suspension might work might not. Would not know until you put in place unless you pulled both driveshafts and measured- might have to cut and midify to make work. lots of work and money. if money is no object i would be happy to do the swap and guarantee my work. We can start with $2500 labor and both vehicles and 1 month. Lets talk.

#3 ·
You can always hold off until the new NB comes out. Rumor has it, it will come with the 2.0TDI

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.