2012 Volkswagen Beetle Revealed With More Retro Look - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > News > Latest News

Latest News Read and discuss the latest news about everyone's favorite car.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 04-18-2011, 10:30 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Default 2012 Volkswagen Beetle Revealed With More Retro Look


Volkswagen has just revealed the all-new 2012 Beetle, returning the 'Bug' to its retro-styled ways. You'll have to pardon the poor photos though. Officially that isn't supposed to have debuted yet, but Motor Trend busted the embargo so we're using their grainy pics.

The replacement for the 'New Beetle' the car is set to debut first at the Shanghai Auto Show and then at the 2011 New York Auto Show on Wednesday. Sitting 0.5-inches lower than the previous car, it's also 3.3-inches wider. With a significantly improved interior, it's near-luxury inside and that theme flows throughout with items like bi-xenon headlights and 19-inch wheels.

Continuing to be a front-driver, engine choices are no surprise with the usual selection of gasoline and diesel powered VW mills, including a 200-hp 2.0 TFSI, a standard 170-hp 2.5-liter 5-cylinder and a 140-hp TDI engine with 236 lb-ft of torque and a 29/40-mpg rating. The 2.5-liter engine comes with the choice of a 5-speed stick shift or 6-speed manual, while the turbo gas engine gets either a six-speed stick or six-speed dual-clutch unit and the brand's XDS electronic differential, which first debuted on the 2010 GTI.

More: 2012 Volkswagen Beetle Revealed With More Retro Look on AutoGuide.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 03-31-2012, 03:19 AM
TennesseeBug's Avatar
Beware-Blonde with Beetle
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location:
Knoxville, TN, USA
Car: 2010 Final Edition Coupe, #1416
Default

Above post...LOL! Reported
__________________
I'm not offended by all the dumb blonde jokes because I know I'm not dumb... and I also know that I'm not blonde.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 03-31-2012, 03:23 AM
IndyTom's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location:
Indianapolis, IN, USA
Car: 2012 Tornado Red VW Beetle Tsi
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis0729 View Post
It is really my honor to have this opportunity for a interview,I hope i can make a good performance today.I'm confident that I can succeed.Now i will introduce myself briefly,I

am 22 years old,born in a little village .I love play WOW and so crazy for mariah carey,I was graduated from a university last year. my major is electronic.and i got my bachelor

degree after my graduation .I spend most of my time on study. I have acquired basic knowledge of my major during my school time.NOW, I begin work for a small private company as

a technical support engineer in a city.Because I'm capable of more responsibilities, Because I want to change my working environment, I'd like to find a job which is more

challenging things. Morover Motorola is a global company, so I feel I can gain the most from working in this kind of company ennvironment. That is the resean why I come here to

compete for this position.I think I'm a good team player and I'm a person of great honesty to others. Also I am able to work under great pressure.


__________________________________

What does this have to do with Beetle's or tea in China for that matter?

I would say let's put SPAM where it belongs. On a mousetrap so it can catch mice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 03-31-2012, 03:38 AM
TennesseeBug's Avatar
Beware-Blonde with Beetle
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location:
Knoxville, TN, USA
Car: 2010 Final Edition Coupe, #1416
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyTom View Post
What does this have to do with Beetle's or tea in China for that matter?
LOL! This made me laugh!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 03-31-2012, 04:14 AM
VWTBS's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location:
Corvallis, OR, USA
Car: 2002 New Beetle Turbo S
Default

That was 30 seconds of my life down the drain! Stupid spam!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 04-01-2012, 07:54 PM
Member Sponsor
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location:
Eau Claire, WI, USA
Car: 2000 GLS Cyber Green, 2010 S Candy White
Default

Yeah, Here I was, hoping to read something like, "Production issues in Puebla solved, 2012 Beetle sales to skyrocket soon." Instead, I'm like, what the hell?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 04-01-2012, 08:32 PM
IndyTom's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location:
Indianapolis, IN, USA
Car: 2012 Tornado Red VW Beetle Tsi
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushing Fifty View Post
Yeah, Here I was, hoping to read something like, "Production issues in Puebla solved, 2012 Beetle sales to skyrocket soon." Instead, I'm like, what the hell?
Okay, I will make you happy. There were never any production issues in Puebla, 2012 Beetle sales have rocketed to the sky and Pee Wee Herman is resuming his role on Pee Wee's Playhouse

April Fool
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 04-02-2012, 01:45 AM
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Pittsburgh, USA
Default

love the new beetle! thanks for sharing this info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 04-03-2012, 12:53 PM
pdoel's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location:
Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Car: 2000 Cyber Green, 1.8t
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushing Fifty View Post
Yeah, Here I was, hoping to read something like, "Production issues in Puebla solved, 2012 Beetle sales to skyrocket soon." Instead, I'm like, what the hell?
Why are you so worried about sales? You keep going back and forth on whether or not you want one, and sales of the vehicle seems to be your primary worry.

If you decide to buy one, that's really the only sale that should be of any concern. Who cares what everyone else in the world is doing or buying. If it's the car I wanted, and I was the only sale of that vehicle, who cares?

I have an A3 which don't sell well at all. I get looks all the time, people stop me more asking me what it is, than have every stopped me asking about the NB. It's kind of nice having a niche car that's not all over the place.
__________________
Cyber Green. It's not a color. It's a way of life.

'00 GLX Cyber Green / Cream, 5sp.

'12 Mini Countryman S All4 6sp.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 04-05-2012, 05:22 AM
Member Sponsor
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location:
Eau Claire, WI, USA
Car: 2000 GLS Cyber Green, 2010 S Candy White
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdoel View Post
Why are you so worried about sales? You keep going back and forth on whether or not you want one, and sales of the vehicle seems to be your primary worry.

If you decide to buy one, that's really the only sale that should be of any concern. Who cares what everyone else in the world is doing or buying. If it's the car I wanted, and I was the only sale of that vehicle, who cares?

I have an A3 which don't sell well at all. I get looks all the time, people stop me more asking me what it is, than have every stopped me asking about the NB. It's kind of nice having a niche car that's not all over the place.
I believe I've explained this to you before, but I'll do it again. I love water-cooled Beetles, both the last generation and the 2012+. However, weird or strange as it may be, I want to be assured that whatever car I drive will be around in some form for decades to come. I was very concerned about the slow start of the latest Beetle's sales. As this is the first year of a redesigned, re-skinned Beetle, sales should be exceeding the last year of the previous generation. Now, at last, they are on a pace to do that, but at first, it looked like VW would be lucky to see half the sales of the 2010 model. Translation? At least in my mind? Another death sentence in a few years just like the air-cooled Bug got in 1979. This in turn would decimate the water-cooled Beetle community that I hold so dear. The water-cooled Beetle crowd is a perfect fit for me, because many air-cooled people are perpetually stuck in 1967 while the typical water-cooled VW people are a lot younger than me and into heavy modding. There simply weren't enough 98-10 Beetles sold to create the cult-like following that the original air-cooled Beetles enjoy. Even so, the way I am, I wouldn't have even owned a 1969 Beetle from 2003-2009 if there had never been a New Beetle. I look at the 98-10s and the 12+ as a continuation of the original Bug even though they're totally different cars. To me, they're still Bugs. They just weren't available for sale in the US for 19 years..... Thus, I was overjoyed when VW finally confirmed that the Beetle would live on after 2010. I assumed this car would double the size of the water-cooled Beetle community, and now that sales are finally looking much better, I likewise feel better about buying one. No matter how much I love a particular car, I couldn't buy one if I knew it would become obsolete in 5 years, and the way sales were going the first few of months, I jumped to irrational conclusions and took on a rather glass-is-half-empty outlook by worrying that the latest Beetle could be a flop like the Edsel. I know it's odd, but that's just the way I am. I am one-dimensional, and when my mind is made up about what car I want, I assume I'll keep buying updated versions of whatever that single car is for the rest of my life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 04-06-2012, 12:59 PM
pdoel's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location:
Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Car: 2000 Cyber Green, 1.8t
Default

Sorry, but I just don't see any real valid points in your argument.

The air-cooled Beetle fans are just as strong as they've ever been. The car hasn't been sold here in 33 years, and there are still clubs and groups celebrating it. You can still find parts for them.

The nice thing with the water cooleds is that they all share components. So it's not like if you bought a 2012, and in 10 years it dies, that you'll never be able to get parts for it.

The NB community is strong, but to be honest, hasn't been as strong as it once was. That hasn't changed my love for them.

I don't buy cars because I can have other people to hang around with a car just like it to talk to. I buy a car because it's something I enjoy, and I will receive a lot of pleasure out of.

There are more people in our local VW group who are into MK2 and MK3s than are into MKIV, MKV and MKVI. The death of a model will only kill the fan base if you let it.

As I stated before, sales always struggle when a car first comes out. The Passat sells much better than the Beetle, but so far, I've seen one of the new Passats on the road, whereas I've seen 6-7 of the Beetle.

When the New Beetle hit the streets in 1998 it took me MUCH longer to see one in person than it did for me to see a 2012.

It just seems like you let the sales figures of this car determine whether or not you can be happy with your vehicles and your driving enthusiasm. Seems a bit silly to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 04-06-2012, 07:07 PM
Member Sponsor
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location:
Eau Claire, WI, USA
Car: 2000 GLS Cyber Green, 2010 S Candy White
Default

I had a reply all ready to submit, but just like the Tex, if it's too long, they make you log in again. This time, I lost my post! Anyway, I'll keep this short: I like the cameraderie of like-minded people, and in fact, to me, that's the best part of owning a Volkswagen. Back in the day, I really liked Ford Escorts, too, but Escort clubs were lacking.

I also still think that if the modern Beetle dies in a few years, the community will, too. It's not like 21.5 million water-cooled Beetles have been sold. In fact, at the current rate, this wouldn't be achieved until around 2213! However, the entire Beetle community, air and water, should lose the cliques and merge into one happy family.

Finally, I could live with less 2012+ sales than that of the 98-10 generation, as long as VW keeps the Beetle alive. One person was very rude with me, but he did have a point: It very well could be that this time around, VW is looking for higher profits on each Beetle sold, and they probably make more money on fewer loaded 12+ Beetles than on more Base models.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 04-07-2012, 01:10 PM
pdoel's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location:
Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Car: 2000 Cyber Green, 1.8t
Default

I don't see VW killing the Beetle just because sales started off slow. Sales of the '98 started off VERY slow, and look how well it did. VW isn't going to put all that money into developing a car, then just kill it because sales started off slow. A lot of research goes into this sort of thing. So I'd say they know what they're doing.

And as such, keep in mind, they listen a lot to their customers. How many posts on the various boards have people complained about the c word? Many were tired of their NBs being called cute. They didn't like that VW killed all the engines, leaving just the 2.5. People have spent fortunes tuning their NBs to get more out of them. VW listened.

And now we have more engine choices, it's definitely manlier, more tunable, and a pretty hot car right from the factory. We talk, they listened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 04-07-2012, 07:43 PM
Member Sponsor
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location:
Eau Claire, WI, USA
Car: 2000 GLS Cyber Green, 2010 S Candy White
Default

I didn't know that the 98 started off slow with sales. If so, that didn't last for long. At any rate, I'm past my irrational pessimism now. I have a tendency to jump to conclusions prematurely at times.

Still, it will probably be a while before I can get a 21st century Beetle for myself. For the first time in years, my wife and I are about to have no car payments. For now, I will focus on making my 2000 "cute" NB like new. The main thing on my things-to-do list is to have the faded rear hatch and roof repainted to match the rest of the car (Cyber Green), hopefully before this show season begins.

The roof and trunklid are faded to about a Gecko Green color........

Last edited by Pushing Fifty; 04-07-2012 at 07:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2012 Volkswagen Jetta GLI Revealed With 200-hp and a Proper Suspension AutoGuide.com Latest News 14 07-06-2012 12:50 AM
2012 VW Beetle Revealed with More Retro Look AutoGuide.com Latest News 307 02-01-2012 04:33 AM
2012 Volkswagen Beetle Rumored to Debut at NY Auto Show AutoGuide.com Latest News 9 10-24-2011 05:38 AM
2012 Volkswagen Beetle to Debut Simultaneously on Three Continets Courtesy MTV AutoGuide.com Latest News 1 04-18-2011 10:38 AM
2012 Volkswagen New Beetle Spied Testing [Video] AutoGuide.com Latest News 39 04-13-2011 02:46 AM

All times are GMT. The time now is 07:56 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2