VW Beetle Forum banner

2013 Volkswagen Beetle TDI to Bow at Chicago Auto Show

14K views 27 replies 17 participants last post by  crndg 
#1 ·
The 2013 Volkswagen Beetle TDI is set to make its debut at the upcoming Chicago Auto Show. Though there aren't any confirmed details yet on the diesel-powered Beetle, it's expected to feature a 2.0L turbocharged, inline-four in its engine bay.

The same 2.0L can be found in the Volkswagen Golf, Jetta and Passat, with 140-hp and 236 lb-ft of torque with six-speed manual and DSG transmissions available. In the Passat, this powerplant has been good for up to 43-mpg on the highway, so it's safe to assume the Beetle will get the same, if not even a little better.

What is even more interesting is the speculation that VW might give its Beetle Convertible a diesel variant, making it the first clean diesel convertible in the United States. That's not confirmed yet though, but stay tuned to AutoGuide.com as we head towards the 2012 Chicago Auto Show to get all the details later on in early February.

More: 2013 Volkswagen Beetle TDI to Bow at Chicago Auto Show on Autoguide.com

See less See more
#3 ·
Might not be able to resist an upgrade from 1998 to 2013. I was thinking of going for 20 years on my 98, but a new model TDI might get me to switch at 15.

Definitely must be a full on standard transmission, none of the electronic stuff for me. Also must be yellow, love my yellow bug.

#4 ·
If its anything like the Golfs, it will come with a 6-speed manual. *crosses fingers*

#5 ·
Now that would put one in my driveway!

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

#6 · (Edited)
This model is a bit larger correct? So does that mean the weight of the car is greater too?

I'm wondering if that's part of the reason why the fuel consumption listed seems to be no better while the engine is supposedly more efficient on the new TDIs.

I looked it up myself, making this more rhetorical.

1967 Volkswagen: 840KG
1998 Volkswagen New Beetle 2.0L Manual: 1232KG
1998 Volkswagen New Beetle TDI Manual: 1280KG
2012 Volkswagen Beetle 2.5L Manual: 1333KG
2012 Volkswagen Beetle 2.0L Turbo Manual: 1380KG

The automatic 2.0L Turbo is even heavier, weighing in at over 1400KG.

The TDI seems to be a heavier engine, the 2012 Jetta TDI weighs an additional 52KG over the 2.5L engine model.

So best guess the 2013 Beetle TDI Manual is going to weigh in around 1380KG.

#9 ·
B13 TDI Vert?

If I was to get one It would have to have a black interior and maybe black interior Rhino-Lining! Clean Diesel or not, it is still going to get awfully messy with that oily black soot that is endemic to all diesel engines.

Still, It is intriguing to think about. The extra hp and torque compared to my 02 TDI and O6 Jetta TDI would make this a fun Beetle to pilot!

Look out Honda Chuckie's Back!

Chuckie

#23 ·
If I was to get one It would have to have a black interior and maybe black interior Rhino-Lining! Clean Diesel or not, it is still going to get awfully messy with that oily black soot that is endemic to all diesel engine
Chuckie...I bought my wife a brand new 2005 Passat TDI Wagon in February 2005 and we have NEVER had any issues with the black soot and the car is "Wheat" or in better terms..BEIGE. The interior color is tan and yet, as I say...we've had no soot issues. :) By the way, we just had to have a new camshaft installed in the car...I suppose it just didn't want to spin anymore after a reading on the odometer of 257k miles.:banana:

Jerry

#10 ·
You might want to get Volkswagen’s most fuel efficient modern Beetle, the 2013 Beetle TDI, has finally debuted at the Chicago auto show. This new oil-burner is expected to be rated at 29 mpg in the city and 39 mpg on the highway. Those relatively high fuel economy figures come courtesy of VW’s ubiquitous 2.0-liter, 140-horsepower turbocharged direct injection diesel four-cylinder. Like other applications that use the engine, the Beetle is rated at 236 lb of torque. Both six-speed manual and six-speed automatic transmissions are available, the latter of which is VW’s DSG dual-clutch unit. Extensive emissions controls ensure that the Beetle TDI will be 50-state compliant. I really love its features.

Read more here: The Chicago Auto Show focuses on consumers

#13 ·
Imagine changing this timing belt!

Found an illustration of the timing belt system for the 2.0 TDI that VW is putting into the B-13. Two cams to play with this time and the belt is now 30mm wide.

Chuckie

Attachments

#15 ·
Sorry about that.

As far as I know and can confirm, The current Beetles are the 5 cylinder 2.5 engine. They have a timing chain. The four cyl. versions are timing belt engines. Not completely sure on the smaller turbo gasser but the diesel definitely is. So with better than 19:1 compression, if this timing belt loses a tooth or breaks you may get the pleasure of purchasing TWO camshafts 16 valves, 8 rockers, and a couple pistons. All NOT covered by the warranty.

I think I will stick with my 02 TDI. Besides, it gets better fuel mileage anyway.

#16 ·
As far as I know and can confirm, The current Beetles are the 5 cylinder 2.5 engine. They have a timing chain. The four cyl. versions are timing belt engines. Not completely sure on the smaller turbo gasser but the diesel definitely is. So with better than 19:1 compression, if this timing belt loses a tooth or breaks you may get the pleasure of purchasing TWO camshafts 16 valves, 8 rockers, and a couple pistons. All NOT covered by the warranty.

I think I will stick with my 02 TDI. Besides, it gets better fuel mileage anyway.
The 2.0TSI turbo motor definitely has a timing chain. Had it since 2008 actually when they switched from the 2.0FSI to the 2.0TSI motor. My brother has one of the last FSI motors in his 2008 Passat. Shortly after in 2008 they switched to the TSI motor with timing chain.

#17 ·
So when do we see them @ the dealers?

It all sounds very nice, but when will we be able to "kick the tires" on the TDI ourselves?

Since the 2013 Beetle intro, I've found few at dealers: two or three average. My local dealer now has four-three identical strippers and a Turbo. It's as if VW is deliberately dribbling them in. :(

#18 ·
I've been shopping around for a 2012 Beetle, but was tempted to wait for the TDI Beetle. Yesterday I happened to have set up a test drive of the TDI Golf at my local dealer. And they had just received an allocation of their first TDI Beetle.

That means it (their first TDI Beetle) will show up in the showroom in approximately 3 months. Because they had just received the allocation, I guess they had the ability to go in and change the details on it (ext/int color, package) within the first couple of days. So they let me special order exactly what I wanted for the first TDI Bug in town. Pricing wasn't available yet, but I put some money down and ordered it in the color and trim level I had been lusting after.

Now comes the hardest part: the waiting.

But it might be worth a visit to your local VW dealer to ask.

#19 ·
Latest news from the dealer is an August 6th delivery. I would expect other dealers will start getting the 2013 Beetle TDIs around the same time, although they may be a bit rare for a while.

I don't know the price yet, but it looks like they will try to keep the cost down by minimizing available options. Basically you have the same choices as you do for the 2.5L gas version, rather than the nicer options available with the 2.0T gas turbo. For example, there's no option for cloth or leather seats, just V-tek Leatherette (which I believe is German for "vinyl"). No spoiler. No alloy pedals. 17" TDI-specific alloy wheels. Three packages available: base, sunroof, or sun/sound/navigation. One thing it does come with from the gas turbo is the Tiptronic manual shift paddles (DSG only).

That's all I know, so far. Looks like I'm talking to myself, but maybe someone out there is interested. :)

#20 ·
My boyfriend accidentally browsing the image and found the 2013 Beetle Race Concept. He told me this, "This is why, I wanted this beetle along with this custom body kit. So, sexy looking." I replied, "Yeah... I can see that. Ha ha ha ha.. Still a no for me and yes for you".

Sent from my SCH-I405 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#25 ·
VW.com now allows you to "build" a 2013 Tdi! Price seems competitive but many options are still not available.

For now I will stick with my 2006 with ALL options in Salsa Red, besides it only has 52K on it. :)

As to the soot comments, neither my 2002 Tdi (traded at 88K) or my 2006 have ANY problems with soot. That appears to be a thing of the past.

#26 ·
Got it!

Well, the early September date was wrong. We actually got the TDI on August 6th, as they initially estimated. It's a fun little car, even more so now that we "customized" the exterior a bit. :)

I appreciate the comments on the leatherette seats. We do get a little sweaty on long drives, but as you say that would probably happen with leather, too. And I had forgotten how addicting that "new car smell" can be.

As for the car itself, it did have one minor flaw when we picked it up: the turn signal piece didn't fit together tightly. Just got that replaced (under warranty, of course) yesterday. The only other possible flaw is that the trunk is hard to close fully. We may get that looked at when we do our new car service in a couple months. We also got a clear-coat bra installed.

On the second day of ownership, the check engine light came on. I took it into the dealer, and they eventually discovered that it was a flaw in the firmware that meant the turbo control wasn't adjusted for the altitude. (We're a mile high here, possibly the first TDI Beetle up here.) It took service a while to figure it out, and they were on the phone to VW on both coasts. But it has been fine ever since they reflashed the control computer.

Mileage for our first tank was about 36 mpg, which is acceptable, especially considering how much we were playing with the turbo in the first couple of weeks. Seeing what it can do. :) It's got a lot of pep, and can accelerate when you need it. No, it can't keep pace with a Corvette (we gave it a go on Saturday, just for fun), but I know I got better gas mileage than he did during the effort. (I only raced him up to the speed limit, but I guess he had something to prove because he kept going beyond that.)

It did come with the gauge package (oil temp, stop watch, turbo psi) in the center of the dash, which I gather only the release edition of the 2012 Beetles came with. Not sure if all the 2013s will have this again, or just the TDI and maybe the gas turbo.

We managed to fit 2 adult friends in the back seat over the weekend--something I hadn't thought possible just looking at it. But for short trips it wasn't any worse than my old car.

The suspension seems a bit tight to me on some roads, but I need to check the tire pressure to see if we might be a little high. Aside from that the ride is nice and quiet. The bluetooth works well. The stereo is great. It has an SD card slot, so you can just load up a card with mp3s and go. The sunroof works well, and isn't too noisy even at higher speeds. The DSG is not as smooth as I expected it to be, but more than adequate for an automatic transmission. Braking takes a little getting used to. The diesel engine is heavy, making the car heavier, so plan ahead when you want to stop. Plus when slowing to a stop, the engine goes from slowing you down (let your foot off the brake a little to compensate) to trying to move you forward when you get under about 5mph (so you have to push harder on the brake to come to a full stop). Maybe that's just an automatic transmission thing--most of my cars have been manual.

Ever since I was a kid growing up in the 70's, The Love Bug was my ideal car. My 5-year-old self used to say that when I grew up, I was going to have a white Beetle with stripes and a big number 53 on it, and it was going to have a powerful engine, and be remote controlled. (OK, so this one won't actually drive itself. Yet.)

I drove a yellow 1973 Super Beetle through high school and college. I test drove the old New Beetle back when it first came out, but the design just didn't do it for me. Then when the new redesign appeared, my inner child awoke. So this car is quite literally the car I've wanted almost all my life.

And, yes, we do get looks. People either get it, or they don't care. The smiles and nods and pointing make it a little more fun to drive. Not so much because I like attention, but because I know that, if I wasn't driving it, I would be the guy at the side of the road smiling and giving a thumbs-up as it drove by.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.