About to buy a used convertible, what to look for? - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > 1998-2011 New Beetle > New Beetle Convertible

New Beetle Convertible Technical discussion specific to the New Beetle Convertible.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2017, 02:12 AM

Default About to buy a used convertible, what to look for?

My wife wants a convertible beetle so I am about to go look at a seemingly nice one the next state over.

I am completely comfortable looking at the car in the general used car sense. However my last beetle was a '67 so I would be curious if there are any known "traps" in a new style to look out for. Any particular years that are to be avoided.

The only item I know of is the valve body on the transmission had some issues. The 2006 I am looking at had the valve body replaced 25k ago.
also the current owner had some of the hydraulic lines replaced in the top mechanism 6 months ago.

Thanks in advance,

Last edited by omextreme; 03-21-2017 at 02:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2017, 02:25 AM

Car: '03 Vert GLX 1.8t 6 speed Tip

These Beetles are problem prone. Need to know the year, transmission type and mileage.

Depending on the engine, transmission and mileage this will dictate what issues you will run into.

The rear window WILL fall out right about year 10 on the original top.

The door latches will be a problem.

The window regulators will start to fail at year 13.

The 1.8t WILL need a timing belt by 80k miles, the thermostat will need to be replaced, the coolant line along the inner frame rail will leak, the right inner CV boot will be cracked.

If the car has an automatic transmission the valve body WILL need to be overhauled by 80k miles.

So tell me exactly what you are looking at and I can give you more details.
Old 03-21-2017, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoj View Post
These Beetles are problem prone. Need to know the year, transmission type and mileage.

Depending on the engine, transmission and mileage this will dictate what issues you will run into.

The rear window WILL fall out right about year 10 on the original top.

The door latches will be a problem.

The window regulators will start to fail at year 13.

The 1.8t WILL need a timing belt by 80k miles, the thermostat will need to be replaced, the coolant line along the inner frame rail will leak, the right inner CV boot will be cracked.

If the car has an automatic transmission the valve body WILL need to be overhauled by 80k miles.

So tell me exactly what you are looking at and I can give you more details.
the car is a 2006 83k miles
Garage kept (allegedly)
The engine is the non turbo engine that is all i know (vin decoder says 5 cyl 2.5 L
Valve body replaced within last 3 years, He thinks approx 24k ago

Any info you have would be greatly appreciated, I dont want to be in the well if I had only known situation after dropping 6k on a car.

Old 03-21-2017, 10:19 AM

Car: '03 Vert GLX 1.8t 6 speed Tip

I am an original owner of a 2003 1.8t automatic convertible and I would say I have a good idea of what to expect with these cars.

Since the car is a 2006 and has a 2.5l then you are not going to have the 1.8t issues.

But this being said you should "expect" the convertible issues and other things.

I would suggest you get someone to help with an inspection and get the car up in the air to check the CV joint boots, make sure the aluminum lower engine cover is still installed, check for the top operation.

But the car is 11 years old, while maybe garage kept, expect the rear window glass to come unglued in the near future. The only proper repair is to have the top replaced which is not cheap, $1500-$2000.

Convertible door latches are problems because people slam the doors like a dump truck, a convertible door can be shut with your pinky.

Glad to hear the transmission valve body was replaced/overhauled, hopefully you will not need to do this for another 50+k miles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Include me on the map?
Select this if you would like to show your location on the world map of NewBeetle.org members. City, state/province, country, and zip (for USA members) must also be filled in.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.