Boot not locking without a hard push - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > 1998-2011 New Beetle > New Beetle Convertible

New Beetle Convertible Technical discussion specific to the New Beetle Convertible.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2017, 09:25 PM

Default Boot not locking without a hard push

Hi,
My boot opens from the switch & fob, but have to slam it hard to close, there is no obstruction far as I can see, any ideas please.
Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2017, 04:54 AM

Car: 02' Turbo S
Default Boot not locking without a hard push

what year is your car? Sometimes the striker or latch can fail, the latch needs lubed or adjustments can be made.

Here are some videos ; showing how to lube the latch and see if its working ok; they show sticking and not opening problems.

https://youtu.be/YDC1dw7g4II

https://youtu.be/bO7eYOcOlv4

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Need to find a VW part number? Look up here: http://parts.vw.com/
Then, use google; to find the best prices! :-)

Last edited by billymade; 04-20-2017 at 06:40 AM..
Old 04-20-2017, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billymade View Post
what year is your car?

Convertible 2005.
Thanks

Old 04-20-2017, 05:05 AM

Thanks Billy, will try tonight.
Old 04-20-2017, 06:38 AM

Car: 02' Turbo S

Here is the service manual for the the convertible trunk/boot door:

http://workshop-manuals.com/volkswag...ce_and_repair/

Old 04-20-2017, 07:50 AM

Thanks
I don't have the turn lock on the outside, but assume the inside latch and mechanical parts are the same.
Ta.
Old 04-24-2017, 08:50 PM

Car: '03 Vert GLX 1.8t 6 speed Tip

This is NORMAL for the convertible. I have a 2003 since NEW and you have to slam the trunk.

I close the trunk about 1/2 way, the quickly push down but do not leave my hand on the trunk, I allow the inertia of my quickly pushing down on the trunk lid to close and latch properly. Been doing this for 14 years!
Old 04-24-2017, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoj View Post
This is NORMAL for the convertible. I have a 2003 since NEW and you have to slam the trunk.

I close the trunk about 1/2 way, the quickly push down but do not leave my hand on the trunk, I allow the inertia of my quickly pushing down on the trunk lid to close and latch properly. Been doing this for 14 years!
Wow 14 years, must really love it. Have you had much trouble with it over the last 14 years.
We have a 1.9tdi.
Would be good to know. Thanks
Old 04-25-2017, 01:09 AM

Absolute WORST car I have ever owned as far as problems. If it was not a convertible it would have been gone a LONG time ago.

When things are working right it is fun car to drive, but do not get me started with everything that has failed/worn out on this car.

Luckily it is still running pretty good. Have tanken it on a few 1100 mile direct road trips that took about 14 hours as well.
Old 04-25-2017, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoj View Post
Absolute WORST car I have ever owned as far as problems. If it was not a convertible it would have been gone a LONG time ago.

When things are working right it is fun car to drive, but do not get me started with everything that has failed/worn out on this car.

Luckily it is still running pretty good. Have tanken it on a few 1100 mile direct road trips that took about 14 hours as well.
What's the mileage now? Our one is a diesel and hoping as they get older the parts get cheaper... I can only dream :grin:
Old 04-26-2017, 01:04 PM

OH, USA
Car: 2005 Cabrio GL

On our '05, the little trunk hatch is a bit hard to close. We just push down on the VW emblem since it's so big and gives a nice spot to push on.

Ours is a pain to keep going as well. Replaced the driver's door latch (broken microswitch) two weeks ago, fixed the glove box door (glued the handle back on and replaced the "bump stops" with "super magnets" to keep it closed), now the vynil on the inside driver's door panel has pulled away from the panel at the top. The "little things" never end with this car. Everything that's made of plastic is breaking on the thing. Ugh.

But, it is fun to drive, despite the massive blind spots caused by the convertible top.
Old 04-26-2017, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shopiqure View Post
What's the mileage now? Our one is a diesel and hoping as they get older the parts get cheaper... I can only dream :grin:
My car has around 101000 miles at this point. 1.8t 6 speed Tiptronic transmission.

I will say the 1.8t can be a durable engine. The stupid sludge problem, I have cleaned replace the oil pick up 2 times, but the thing keeps running. Transmission valve body, door latches, passenger side once, drivers side 2 times, both front axles, alternator overrun pulley, water leaks, rear window regulator cables, you name it, I have had issues with it.

When the car is working and running well, which is generally does, it has never left anyone stranded, it is fun to drive even if people think I look funny in the car. But the top goes down, so I cruise it with the top down when ever I can.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Include me on the map?
Select this if you would like to show your location on the world map of NewBeetle.org members. City, state/province, country, and zip (for USA members) must also be filled in.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.