Driver Door window not coming down to close door on Convertible - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > Discussion - Technical > New Beetle Convertible

New Beetle Convertible Technical discussion specific to the New Beetle Convertible.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2008, 08:08 PM

Default Driver Door window not coming down to close door on Convertible

When I open my driver door on my 2004 convertible it comes down a little (sometimes) and then goes back up, it doesn't come down in order to close it and I usually have to manually lower the window a little and leave it down or attempt to close it (which bangs it on the top) and then it will drop and go in. I am worried about knocking it out of alignment and it is starting to damage my convertible fabric.

The dealership said they fixed it once, now that it is happening again (it only lasted a week) they are saying it is another problem. A door switch.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Other than sell the car?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2008, 09:26 PM
A Touch of Gray

Car: 2006 Convertible

Had the same problem. It was the door switch, at least when the dealer replaced it, the problem went away. I think you have a 4 year 50,000 mile warentee. It may be possible your bug is still under warentee. Check it out.
Old 07-23-2008, 09:48 PM

Mine does that too. I think it's a door switch. When I get out of my car if I hit the door latch it will lower the window.
Old 07-24-2008, 12:03 AM
Banned

Car: '07 Triple White NBC

I had that problem. The window would come down for a second and then go back up. It was my door locking mechanism. The dealer fixed it for me under warranty, but I have a 2007.
Old 08-13-2008, 04:01 AM
TruBlu

NC, USA
Car: 2004 GLS Convertible - Galactic Blue

Have same exact problem, going on for about a year. Funny that it isn't a problem in cool/cold weather, just warm temps. I can deal with it, but it's aggravating. Is yours affected by the temperature?
Old 10-03-2008, 06:32 PM

Car: 2003 NBC

I had the same problem.... Since I order a new switch, I Spray some kitchen cleaner into it, to try cleaning it up.
and it works for me

my problem gone.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:31 PM
2005 VW NBC Dark Flint

Car: 2005 VW NBC Dark Flint Edition
Default Driver side door

My driver side door does not drop when I open the door. I think the door switch is bad, does anyone knows where door switch located at?
Old 10-14-2010, 07:57 PM

Default Part #

Hi,
Anyone know the part number for this switch? thanks!
Old 10-14-2010, 08:26 PM
Catch me riding s00ty!

Car: Formally 2001.5 Sport 5speed-- Titan Currently 2005.5 Jetta TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmracing View Post
Hi,
Anyone know the part number for this switch? thanks!
top link in my signature
Old 10-14-2010, 09:34 PM
Rick

NH, USA
Car: 2007 NB Convertable triple Beige

On my 2007 nbc you have to wait a few seconds for the drivers window to go down then you can open the door. if you DON'T wait you end up forcing the door open with the window still in the up position.

What causes that?
Old 10-14-2010, 09:49 PM
Not low enough

Car: 2003 GLS vert

mine has started acting up and it seems to be the door switch. when i unlock the doors with the remote the windows drop fine, however when i stop and turn the car off and open it from the inside, it doesn't always drop. it does probably 75% of the time, but not always. i've also noticed that when it doesn't do it, the door chime doesn't go off like normal when you have the key in the ignition and open the door. there were a few times i didn't hit the remote to unlock it and drop the window, opened the door with the window up all the way, and once the door was wide open it dropped. if the key was still in, at that point the chime would start.

also there's been a few times i've unlocked the car with the remote, got in, and in the ten seconds or so i take to get settled in, i hear a honk and the car re-arms itself. if i put the key in the ignition at that point, the alarm goes off.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:15 PM

Does anyone know what the part number is for the "Door Switch"? I wasn't able to find it in that link. I have the same problem where the window does not come down to close the door resulting in the window getting caught on the rag top and not closing against the weatherstripping.
Old 08-03-2013, 11:16 AM

Car: '03 Vert GLX 1.8t 6 speed Tip

Volkswagen Parts 2Go | Genuine VW Parts 25% Off

Also check VW Parts | Volkswagen Parts
Old 08-11-2013, 06:53 PM

Car: 2008 New Beetle Convertible, S level,

A friend of mine is a mechanic at a VW dealer and told me that if I ever had the window not come down to close the door to try reaching inside and operating the inside door handle once. Says 99% of the time it'll drop the window. He says on his wife's NBC he cleaned the switch with WD-40 and no more problems but at the dealership they always replace the switch. (Not a bad sign that a VW mechanic's wife had a NBC. I've never known a mechanic who wanted his wife to drive something he'd have to work on since he gets enough of that at work).
Old 09-05-2013, 04:33 PM

Car: 2005 GLS Convertible

I'm having the same problem with the driver's window. This is the only working window on the car. Yesterday, it started going crazy, going up and down and up and down several times by itself. Now, when I open the door from the inside, it won't go down. I tried using the outside door handle before I shut it, but it didn't work. It will work if the door is shut and I open it from the outside.

Is this switch hard to replace and is there a step by step for it somewhere?

Thanks!
Old 09-05-2013, 04:55 PM

You need to replace the door latch.

It is not a hard job, it is just a PITA and if you have never been into the door it can be a bit confusing to figure out.

You will also need triple square tools also known as XZN bits - Neiko 10-Piece XZN Triple Square Spline Bit Socket Set, Quality S2 XZN Bits - Amazon.com

Special note for ANYONE trying to do this job, remove the 2 screws for the door latch as the latch needs to come out with the inner door panel.

You can use a drift punch to release the plastic rivets on the bracket that holds the door latch.

You then install the latch back into the door, then install the inner door panel, then use the drift punch to expands the plastic rivets on the latch bracket.

Also the attached info is very useful
Attached Images/Files
File Type: pdf VW Convertible Door Latch Info.pdf (316.8 KB, 461 views)
Old 09-05-2013, 06:09 PM

Car: 2005 GLS Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoj View Post
You need to replace the door latch.

It is not a hard job, it is just a PITA and if you have never been into the door it can be a bit confusing to figure out.

You will also need triple square tools also known as XZN bits - Neiko 10-Piece XZN Triple Square Spline Bit Socket Set, Quality S2 XZN Bits - Amazon.com

Special note for ANYONE trying to do this job, remove the 2 screws for the door latch as the latch needs to come out with the inner door panel.

You can use a drift punch to release the plastic rivets on the bracket that holds the door latch.

You then install the latch back into the door, then install the inner door panel, then use the drift punch to expands the plastic rivets on the latch bracket.

Also the attached info is very useful
Thanks so much, but it sounds like it's a little more than I can do. I was hoping you wouldn't have to remove the inner door panel. I though I might be able to repair the regulator on the passenger door and at least have 2 working windows, but I have watched at least 3 videos and there is only one with the convertible, and I have to admit, I probably can't do it or I'm just too afraid to try.

So, now I have 3 broken regulators and one messed up (at least) door latch. It's a good thing I really like this car. I've only had it 2 weeks and I won't go into the mechanical repairs...aarrgggghhhh.
Old 09-07-2013, 09:50 PM

Try to find a shop that really knows VW's.

At least the convertibles do not require removal of the window regulator/glass to replace the door latch.

Good luck how ever it works out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.