How do you wash the top? - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > Discussion - Technical > New Beetle Convertible

New Beetle Convertible Technical discussion specific to the New Beetle Convertible.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2010, 01:38 AM

Car: NBC- 2004, Harvest Moon Beige
Arrow How do you wash the top?

So I've washed the rest of my car, but not the top yet!
Is there a specific way to wash it or a specific product that I should use? There is just a lot of dust marks, and some bird droppings on it haha. Sorry, I'm new and have no idea how to wash it well but not harm it!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2010, 02:38 AM

Car: 1999 NB 2.0; 1965 VW Squareback S

Use a wash mitt and Convertible Top Cleaner. If your top is black, the mitt should be one that doesn't leave lint, or you will be very unhappy when it dries! rinse it very well after the wash. I don't know how old your car is, but at some point a spray protectant is really good for it. If your window is plastic, use only plastic cleaner. If it's glass, no problem.

There it is. Works for me. This is just my humble opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2010, 02:51 AM
NBC Driver

Independent Republic of Horry,
Car: 2004 New Beetle Convertible GLS 1.8T 5-Speed

RaggTopp is recommended by the convertible top manufacture, Hartz.

How to ragtop

Be sure and buy fabric, not vinyl Raggtopp.
http://www.autogeek.net/racotopcakit.html

Kenny's Silver '04 NB Convertible GLS 1.8 Turbo

http://newbeetle.org/forums/photos-new-beetles/25692-kennys-silver-04-nb-convertible-gls-1-8-turbo.html
Old 08-27-2010, 07:04 PM

Car: NBC- 2004, Harvest Moon Beige

Ok, thanks for your help
Old 08-27-2010, 07:05 PM
NBC Driver

Now...
It's time for me to do mine again.

RaggTopp, by the way, is the only recommended cleaner endorsed by Hartz, who makes the fabric for our tops.

Congratulations on getting your Beetle convertible! It looks like some perfect weather this evening and tonight to put the top down.
http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/...weekday=Friday

Last edited by miffmole; 08-27-2010 at 07:11 PM..
Old 08-28-2010, 02:06 PM
Bike British

Near the Cheeze Line, FIB Land, Illinois to others, USA
Car: 2010 GTI

One word-Raggtopp. They make a cleaner and also a protectant.
Old 06-06-2011, 03:31 AM

Car: 2005 2.0 convertible

I used the link and bought a RaggTopp kit. It cleaned all of the green gunk around the edges like it was nothing. My top is pretty again. The pictures showing how to apply are terrific too.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:31 AM
Member Sponsor

Car: '05 Vert "Dark Flint Limited Edition"
Thumbs up RaggTopp - The only one to buy and use!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deenalouise View Post
I used the link and bought a RaggTopp kit. It cleaned all of the green gunk around the edges like it was nothing. My top is pretty again. The pictures showing how to apply are terrific too.
Another endorsement for RaggTopp, my favorite top cleaner and protectant, and for my favorite detailing products source www.autogeek.net and yes, they have great product reviews and "how to's", including videos!

Did you use the aerosol or pump protectant?

MORAV
'01 Corvette Convertible, Magnetic Red, Light Oak Top, Light Oak Leather Interior
'96 Suburban LT 2500, 454BB, Summit White, Neutral Leather Interior
'95 Camaro Z28 Convertible, Polo Green, Black Top, Tan Leather Interior
Old 06-06-2011, 03:07 PM

It came with a "gun" attachment for the aerosol protectant. Yesterday I just washed it and next weekend I'm gonna do that part. I am ready with plastic sheeting and tape to tackle the job.
Old 06-06-2011, 03:21 PM
Member Sponsor

Question

Cleaning the top and applying the protectant are intended to be done in the same sitting. A week from now the top is dirty again. Want to believe you meant your going to wash and protect it next week, but it didn't come through that way.

M.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:01 PM

Car: 2004 Beetle GLS Orange 'Vert
Exclamation This might save you $$ and head aches

Please take a minute to read My 303 Cleaning & Care Kit for Convertible Tops review and invest your money on RaggTopp Fabric Convertible Top Care Kit: Premium convertible top care products for your rag top! convertible top care, car convertible top cleaner, (the brush is so worth it too)
Old 06-07-2011, 01:53 AM

Um, yeah I meant I was gonna re-wash it and apply the protectant next wknd. Thanks for the word to the wise, I can't believe I didn't think it would be dirty.
Old 06-07-2011, 02:40 AM
Member Sponsor

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by deenalouise View Post
Um, yeah I meant I was gonna re-wash it and apply the protectant next wknd. Thanks for the word to the wise, I can't believe I didn't think it would be dirty.
Just be sure it dries well between wash and protectant, and again between protectant applications. Three, remember, and apply the coats evenly and not do heavy, with a little extra along the seams for added protection to the stitching. And whatever you do, don't do either procedure in the sun.

M.
Old 06-07-2011, 01:05 PM

Car: 2004 Beetle GLS Orange 'Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyOtherRidesAVette View Post
Just be sure it dries well between wash and protectant, and again between protectant applications. Three, remember, and apply the coats evenly and not do heavy, with a little extra along the seams for added protection to the stitching. And whatever you do, don't do either procedure in the sun.

M.
ALSO take a minute to mask your windows and paint for over spray (that 303 CRAP was nasty) have a rag handy to wipe any before it dries.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:49 PM
Member Sponsor

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenileDavid View Post
ALSO take a minute to mask your windows and paint for over spray (that 303 CRAP was nasty) have a rag handy to wipe any before it dries.
The "how to" video for the RaggTopp on www.autogeek.net says that the product wipes off easily and to not be concerned. However, I don't take chances, I simply, unlatch and slightly lift the top, drape old bath towels over the sides, windshield, etc. Simply lay them around the bady shell above the trunk lid. Tuck some brown craft paper or any none printed on pieces of paper carefully around and under the top at the back window. Any uncovered alumnim trim around the top of the shell will wipe off easily.

M.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:00 PM

This thread is awesome..thought I'd give it a bump
Old 04-15-2012, 03:24 AM

I just got the raggtopp kit and cleaned the top today..AWESOME. It looks brand new. The place a got the raggtopp also sold me a brush for cleaning but, it was some sort of horse hair brush and being new, it left bristles all over that I had to remove with a lint roller. But, all is good and my 7yr old top looks like a day old
Old 04-15-2012, 03:58 AM
NBC Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by eister View Post
I just got the raggtopp kit and cleaned the top today..AWESOME. It looks brand new. The place a got the raggtopp also sold me a brush for cleaning but, it was some sort of horse hair brush and being new, it left bristles all over that I had to remove with a lint roller. But, all is good and my 7yr old top looks like a day old
Congratulations on your clean top!
When you mention "The place I got the raggtopp," are you referring to a store, or somewhere on the Internet. I've never seen Raggtopp in any store, but wish it were...
Old 04-15-2012, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miffmole View Post
Congratulations on your clean top!
When you mention "The place I got the raggtopp," are you referring to a store, or somewhere on the Internet. I've never seen Raggtopp in any store, but wish it were...
Actually there is a convertable top maker here in Charlotte (Kee Auto Top) that carries everything you'd ever need for verts. They make tops for old cars etc. It's not really a store but, they do have a small showroom of sorts in the front of the building.
Old 04-25-2012, 04:06 PM

Arrow Handwashes ok?

I live in an apartment so I can't wash my car at home.

Do you suppose it's possible to find a handwash location that knows how to do convertibles properly? Or do I just need to find a "wash your own car" place?

I'd really like to find a handwash place that I can trust. I just know if I have to do it myself, it won't get done often enough.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.