Oil Change through dipstick? - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > Discussion - Technical > New Beetle Convertible

New Beetle Convertible Technical discussion specific to the New Beetle Convertible.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2011, 01:41 PM

Default Oil Change through dipstick?

So the convertible costs about $ 80 plus a waste of two hours with logistics at the dealer. I would like to start doing it myself as I do with the other cars in the family. I don't see myself wrestling with the giant steel plate to get to the oil pan drain every time so how about a dipstick tune pump? They are about $70 to purchase. How does the dealership extract the oil ? Do they extract through the tube? Is it a good idea?

Thanks for your input in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2011, 01:56 PM
blue highways

Car: 1999 Black GLS 2.0 beetle, 1980 Vanagon Westfalia Automatic "Chopstick" aka Westfailure

Go for it- got a Pela pump and have loved it. So easy. Also, got a cup socket for the filter. Those plus a wrench, 6-inch extension and a small pan to catch the filter run-off and all set. Considering the one time I have had a dealer crossthread a plug and twice put it on so tight that I only got it loose with vise-grips.. yeah
Old 06-28-2011, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie View Post
Go for it- got a Pela pump and have loved it. So easy. Also, got a cup socket for the filter. Those plus a wrench, 6-inch extension and a small pan to catch the filter run-off and all set. Considering the one time I have had a dealer crossthread a plug and twice put it on so tight that I only got it loose with vise-grips.. yeah
Ok Ollie sounds good to me .

So there is no baffle of any kind i the oil pan to keep me from getting complete extraction?
Old 07-02-2011, 12:01 PM
Boogety Boogety

Car: 2006 NBC

No. It's easy and quick.

I got a MitiVac from Amazon for about $70, shipped, Works like a charm on all our vehicles.

The 2.5 engine uses a canister oil filter, there is a gadget you can purchase that will drain the canister before you remove it. These can be had for $25 or so (plastic) and up (pictured). Or you can bypass the thing, it's not rocket science. You can do this on the NBs without raising the car, it is (somewhat) easily done from underneath with no drama.

BTW, the first time I used the MitiVac (I bought it for the BMW) I was quite skeptical. I sucked out the oil, then raised the car, leveled it and secured it on my four floor jacks, and removed the oil drain plug, just to see if the thing worked as advertised... Not a drop came out. Not one. You'll get plenty of "experts" who say "they don't work, I would never, why bother..." but take it from someone who has used it and likes using it... They work, the MitiVac is a lifesaver...
Old 07-02-2011, 10:28 PM
NBC Driver

Independent Republic of Horry,
Car: 2004 New Beetle Convertible GLS 1.8T 5-Speed

Oil Changer Kit
Attached Images/Files

Kenny's Silver '04 NB Convertible GLS 1.8 Turbo

http://newbeetle.org/forums/photos-new-beetles/25692-kennys-silver-04-nb-convertible-gls-1-8-turbo.html
Old 07-04-2011, 02:44 PM

Car: NB 2000 TDI

that is the way 90% of the cars in germany get changed. You can go to a pumping station (verkoff parking lot) and DIY using a commercial pump onsite.
Old 07-04-2011, 07:48 PM
Banned

Car: 1.9 TDi Alaskan Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar Dad View Post
How does the dealership extract the oil ? Do they extract through the tube?

Thankyou
Old 07-05-2011, 12:07 AM
LkäPORSCHE

Car: 2003 Platinum Grey GLX 1.8T

Shouldn't you still drain the oil through the drain plug because of contaminants, metal shavings and other micro dirt stuff thingy's down in there?
I heard that the pump dosn't always get that stuff out.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:07 PM
Boogety Boogety

Car: 2006 NBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiG View Post
Shouldn't you still drain the oil through the drain plug because of contaminants, metal shavings and other micro dirt stuff thingy's down in there?
I heard that the pump dosn't always get that stuff out.
If you're that anal with your oil changes, then you wouldn't be using a MitiVac or equivalent to begin with. If indeed there are "metal shavings" and "micro dirt" contaminants within your crankcase that are so large and heavy that they are not suspended in the extracted oil, you have a much bigger problem to worry about. I mean... think about it...
Old 07-13-2011, 12:59 AM
GSRBUG

Car: 2014 BEETLE GSR
Smile Oil change

My local VW Dealer charges $31.95 for oil and filter change. They drop the triangular pan and drain the oil and replace the filter. They try to compete price wise with the local Jiffy Lube. Jiffy lube does not drop the pan, they pump the oil out.

2014 GSR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.