How to remove door skins, and what glue will hold the vinyl on the arm rest. - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > 1998-2011 New Beetle > New Beetle Convertible

New Beetle Convertible Technical discussion specific to the New Beetle Convertible.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2014, 03:57 AM

Car: 2007 Convertible 2.5L 5 Speed
Default How to remove door skins, and what glue will hold the vinyl on the arm rest.

I've got some serious squeaking from the driver's window going up and down, and now there is serious popping in the Driver's Side "B" pillar when the car is under acceleration.

Lastly, the vinyl over the door skin panels has pulled away from the underlying arm rest.

I want to pull the panels correctly, look at the window channels, see if I can determine the popping, and re-glue the door skins onto the arm rest.

Some folks on this site have been great in linking to step by step instructions on pulling various parts correctly (to date, the front dash/radio to install a new iPod cord into the back of the radio).

Is there a link to the correct way to pull each door skin?

Will regular automotive tacky spray glue reattach the vinyl to the underlying arm rest?

I'm hoping I don't have to have a German sourced glue product that is as expensive and hard to get as the bottle of Power Steering Fluid from the dealer!!

Thanks
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2014, 07:06 AM

Car: 02' Turbo S

I have had; good luck with 3M upholstery adhesive, you might stop by your local upholstery shop and have them do it for you or ask what adhesive they use. You could take yours apart; have them glue your panel and put it back together yourself. I think I have had good luck with the 3M products, over the years and in the upholstery redos that I did on my old air cooled vws. By the time you buy all the adhesive; you might just pay them to glue the pieces down for you. I have noticed; when everything is torn apart and it is a very straight forward and easy job, no replacement material or sewing required; many upholstery shops won't charge you much.

Check out the 3M website: I haven't tried it but the 3m headliner fabric adhesive 38808, might do the trick.

3M Headliner and Fabric Adhesive 38808 - 3M Auto

Adhesives and Sealants - Products - 3M Auto

To make sure; you get the right 3M product, for your job/application; call or email them here:

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...orp/Contact3M/

Again, your local upholstery shop; maybe the best place to get advice, since they do it all day long professionally.

The squeaking; you are referring to: is it the glass or noise, that seems to be coming from the regulator? Usually, when my regulators; are about to fail, they have made a whining noise, then the regulator fails and my window has fallen inside the door (cables fail).

If/when you take apart the door or remove the door panel; you might take out the window tracks... clean them all out with compressed air and then see if there is any resistance to the window/tracks, when you move them up/down by hand.

Last edited by billymade; 06-07-2014 at 07:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2014, 03:19 PM

OH, USA
Car: 2005 Cabrio GL

I think I used an adhesive called E6000 when I repaired mine. It's been at least a couple of years and it's holding up just fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Include me on the map?
Select this if you would like to show your location on the world map of NewBeetle.org members. City, state/province, country, and zip (for USA members) must also be filled in.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.