VW Beetle Forum banner

Florida Love Bug cleaner

6K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  DirtyTacoma 
#1 ·
I just found a new company that has blown me away as far as car care products go. They carry products that rival the higher names but at a better price. I was a die hard Meguires guy but have recently been converted.

I have never used a cleaner just for bugs that has worked as good as this stuff does. And it is effortless. The love bugs come right off with little to no effort at all.
I was looking online and ran across this site www.fastautocare.com and was curious to see what they had to offer. i then noticed they are a Florida based company. I figured the stuff had to work being from Florida. Anyways,,,Enough of me rambeling. The stuff is called " Gut Check ".

Check it out,,, Price wasn't to bad either.
I also picked up their leather conditioner and their detail spray.
Unbelievable results for both.

Just figured i'd pass it along.
Kris

#2 ·
Do not use dryer sheets unless you want your finish damaged!

I have heard the exact same thing about dryer sheets. Wet'm a little and they will rub the lovebugs right off. It is true, they will, BUT, they will also make tiny scratches in the clear coat of your car's finish. Got a buddy that's in the paint and body field and I asked him, he said that dryer sheets are made of a plastic and if you rub long and hard enough, they WILL put scratches in the finish. In darker colored cars you will begin to see it sooner than lighter colored cars, it will look like a slight haze and if you looked under a mag. glass, you would see the tiny scratches, by then, it's too late. So, it's up to you, it's your vehicle.
Me, I either use my fingernail when washing my car or I have bought some LoveBugCleaner before and it works pretty good. I've used it mostly when I know the lovebugs are coming on. It does a good job of giving some kind of protective coat and it also does a good job at taking them right off.

#6 ·
IMO the best love bug cleaner is regular car soap/water wash the day the bugs splatter on. It's a pain to wash the front of the car and mirrors all the time but you're better off removing them before they dry. I spray the bugs down with water and just let it sit for several minutes. Come back outside and spray them again and most should just spray right off. This keeps the mess down with the mitt to a minimum. I don't think there is any substitute to keeping up with them. Don't expect to let them sit on the paint for a week and have some magical producet to remove them like it never happened. Word goes that after 2 day's paint starts getting damaged due to the pheremon's and acids in the bugs guts.

#7 ·
I agree with BeetleMyHeart. It's best to stay up on getting them off quick or else the acid in the bugs bodies will eat into the paint. I found a product called Blast off love bug cleaner, which is made in Tampa. I know you can get it on line at Love Bug Remover | Car Love Bug Removal | BlastOff Love Bug Cleaner in a kit that makes 2 gallons of the spray. Supposed to be enough to last for a car for a whole year. We'll see if it lasts that long, but the spray works great. Certainly beats rubbing the bugs off.

#8 ·
Love bug eraser

I've been populating forums because I hate these things- Love Bugs. I love my truck and just hate to drive when these things come out. So I was goofing off on Facebook and came across this guy in JAX who sold these things called Love Bug Erasers. For the name alone, I was cynical, but it was like $5, so WTH.

Actually worked, but it could be a bit bulkier. Maybe fold it over, IDK. Used it on my kayak later, too. It seems like a basic sponge but more durable. Was a bit rough, so I was skeptical, but it actually did soften up- used it on the plastic wells first.

Pretty stoked on it actually.

facebook.com/lovebugeraser.

Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.