Rubbing compound on scuffs and other black marks - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > Discussion - Styling > New Beetle Detailing/Cleaning

New Beetle Detailing/Cleaning Discussion area dedicated to detailing, car cleaning, polishing, and otherwise keeping your New Beetle looking good as new.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2011, 01:37 PM
Red Devl strikes again...

Car: '99 Red Beetle GLS
Lightbulb Rubbing compound on scuffs and other black marks

Hi! I'm new to the forums so please be patient with me.

I have some moderate scuff marks on the paint of my my 99 Beetle and I've used rubbing compound before to cure such things on other cars. My question is: If I'm going to use a clay bar before a polish and wax, is it necessary to use the rubbing compound in the equation as follows:

Rubbing compound --> Wash --> Clay Bar --> Polish --> Wax

I've never used a clay bar and I don't know if it will take out the scuffs and other black marks in the paint or if I should "pre-treat" with a small application of rubbing compound first.

Any suggestions and tips are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2011, 02:26 PM

Car: 2001 VW Beetle GL 2.slow

the clay bar takes off contaminates from the top layer of paint that may be embedded in the paint (run your fingers on the paint and if it's not smooth and feels a little gritty then you need to clay it) for scratch's compound will work turtle wax makes two compounds one in the red can for fine sratches and one in the green can for deeper ones you will need a buffing machine unless you want Popeye sized forearms , and another good product is meguiar's scratch x it works and is easier to work with by hand also color x is good as well check out meguiars online they have a detailers forum which is very helpful, i have fine scratches on my bug on the fenders from the car wash and use scratch x and it works well just remember to seal it with wax after so it will last.
Old 07-26-2011, 03:19 PM

Car: 1999 NB 2.0; 1965 VW Squareback S

Remember that rubbing compound removes the most paint, and Polishing compound removes the least. You always want to remove the LEAST amount of paint to get the job done. I always start with polishing compound. If there are still scratch marks, I go with the rubbing compound. I then use a cleaner wax and finish up with a good carnuba. Ain't detauling fun?
Old 07-26-2011, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volkswoman View Post
Remember that rubbing compound removes the most paint, and Polishing compound removes the least. You always want to remove the LEAST amount of paint to get the job done. I always start with polishing compound. If there are still scratch marks, I go with the rubbing compound. I then use a cleaner wax and finish up with a good carnuba. Ain't detauling fun?
Thanks for the tip. I'm sure it will help when I go to detail Diablo this weekend. I'll eliminate the use of rubbing compound and use JP's suggestion of the stronger stuff (green can) if I need to go that route.

Wish me luck!
Old 07-27-2011, 04:07 AM

i my self never had done clay bar and it was pretty easy and the results were very good, the clay is not going to take off scratches thats what i noticed. here some pics of the clay before and after. i used the meguiars clay kit got it like for $19 . hope this help good luck.
Attached Images/Files

Old 07-27-2011, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramboow View Post
i my self never had done clay bar and it was pretty easy and the results were very good, the clay is not going to take off scratches thats what i noticed. here some pics of the clay before and after. i used the meguiars clay kit got it like for $19 . hope this help good luck.
That second photo speaks volumes. No doubt about it - I'm using a clay bar this weekend.

Diablo: The Red '99 New Beetle a/k/a Red Devil

"Objects in mirror are losing."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
clay bar , rubbing compound , wax

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.