Secrets of the New Beetle, Part Deux - Page 3 - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > Community > The New Beetle Experience

The New Beetle Experience The place to tell us all about your experiences as a New Beetle driver.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2006, 05:49 PM
<-----No More Beetle :(

Car: 2011 Kia Soul in Shadow (Black)

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryziegler
The older Beetles, like mine have a sunroof w/toggle/thumb type switch, while the newer Beetles have a rotary switch, which adds to the confusiion
Ahhh so there is no option to open it halfway or 3/4s of the way? Its either open or shut and no in between?

♥It doesn't matter where you go in life, it's who you have beside you ♥
"Put your troubles away until tomorrow. If you're lucky someone'll break into your house tonight and steal 'em" ~ Dean Martin

Skittle & Me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2006, 05:50 PM
Some say............

Car: 1999 GLS Custom, 2010 Final Edition

A new thing for 1999 was a time delay on the trunk release on the key fob. You have to hold it in for a few seconds before it pops the trunk.
Old 05-10-2006, 05:52 PM
Some say............

Car: 1999 GLS Custom, 2010 Final Edition

Another one on the older NBs is where the emergency flasher/rear defroster switch are. If you have only 2 out of the 3 possible option switches there, you can pop the unused switch cover out, and hide something behind it, like emergency money, etc.
Old 05-10-2006, 05:57 PM
triple dubness

TX,

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryziegler
The older Beetles, like mine have a sunroof w/toggle/thumb type switch, while the newer Beetles have a rotary switch, which adds to the confusiion
Ah, that would make sense. Mine (and my buddys) are rotary switches. Even with a toggle switch I would assume you can stop the glass where ever you would like. (My 1988 325 has a toggle and you can stop it in any position).
Old 05-10-2006, 06:07 PM
Member Sponsor

Car: Cyber Green 2004 NBC GLS w/Tip

Here's another radio-oriented one.

No matter what OEM radio headunit you have, Monsoon, non-Monsoon, cassette, CD, XM, etc... if you push and hold the SCAN button for several seconds, you'll enter a setup menu that contains several different options. The options will be different depending on the year/make/functionality of your radio... but the menu will always be there. For headunits that offer speed-sensitive volume, this menu allows you to set the sensitivity. For cassette units that have the annoying blank space skipping, this menu will usually allow you to adjust the sensitivity (or disable it altogether). There are other settings that are common across the board. Check it out, see what you got, and have fun playing around with different settings (you can't break anything that you wouldn't be able to fix by setting it back to the previous setting).

And... between the swivel rear emblem ('98 to... ummm... 2002, was it?), and the fixed rear emblem (late 2004 on), there was a model year or two that had a rear emblem on which just the lower middle part of the W pivoted to reveal the key hole. It's not really a secret, but so few people seemed to know about it. When we picked my car up, the dealer noticed the indentation in the emblem and started to mark it down as something they needed to fix post-sale... til I said "wait a minute", reached out with my finger and slid the plate to one side. I've amazed several of my friends with 2004's just by showing them the hidden keyhole (yeah, my friends are easy to impress... what can I say).
Old 05-11-2006, 01:59 AM
Where is home ....

Car: 2003.5 GLS BLCC (Zoomer)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno513
Not sure about secrets, but you can't lock the car door with the driverside switch with the door open, and you can't use a second key fob to lock or unlock the doors or trunk if one is in the ignition. VW sure does not want you to lock your keys inside the car. About the only way is to lock them in the trunk
You can also lock your keys in the car by ... getting out of your car, unlocking the doors, closing the driver door, opening the passanger door, locking the doors ... and leaving your key in the seat while closing the pass door. HA! :P

---------

I didnt know that you could open the sunroof alllll the way! It hurts the ears but... hehe. It opens all the way. I dont any other secrets.
Old 05-11-2006, 02:02 AM
Where is home ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo_trixie
Not sure which year models this works in but I have a 2000 and if you have the windows down and the sunroof open and you hit 90mph ot only does the rear spoiler come up but all the windows shut themselves. Woohoo.. thought my car was possessed when I first drove her home
I havent gotten to try this yet ... usually at speeds greater than 60 I cannot STAND to have the air coming in ... hurts my ears! *sad* ... Poooooooop.
Old 05-11-2006, 02:05 AM
Where is home ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lnzbug
If you are driving at highway speeds and try to close your windows the wind is pushing them out of wack just a little. That in turn puts the no pinch into motion and opens your windows down to a pre determined point.You do know that if you put something between the window and the frame as you're closing it it automaticaly open them. Same with the sunroof. try putting a roll of paper towels in the way and see what happens. It' so little fingers don't get pinched.
Im a post whore in this thread ... ha!

My pinch protection duhent work.
Old 05-11-2006, 02:07 AM
Bug Less

Car: 85 Cabriolet ~ 02 Accord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dede
I was happy to find out that my cup holder would swivel to the passenger side. I drove for 6 hours after purchasing my NBC tossing drinks that would not fit under the dash.
I noticed that on the Test Drive Im like WOOHOO . course I always have to fittle with things when testing out a car found out that you cant really spray your windshield with the top down or did the salesman need a Bath
Old 05-11-2006, 04:00 AM
lovin' veedubbin'

Car: '99 Cyber Green GLS Turbo NB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steinola
Doh! Foiled again. You're right, of course. I was keying my timeline off of when the CD changer connector migrated from the trunk to the center console which, oddly, didn't happen until mid 2003. But the new cup holders had already been in place for almost two years.

Don't feel so bad. I know it's there, and half the time I still don't see it

The bulb is behind the white plastic rectangle on the underside of the dash piece that holds the seat warmer switches (or the hazard button, if you don't have the seat warmers). It's very very subtle. You really only see it if you have something white and/or shiny in the cup holders.
I've been dying to go look at Dublin to see if I can see the "red light" but since I'm on a double shift, it feels like I have to wait FOREVVVER. Thx for the info, that description helps a lot. I'm running out to Dublin in exactly 30 minutes! I love discovering new stuff. People were sick of me the first week I got her cuz almost everyday I was discovering another feature I didn't know she had!!!!
Old 05-11-2006, 04:05 AM
lovin' veedubbin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbie3Rivers
A new thing for 1999 was a time delay on the trunk release on the key fob. You have to hold it in for a few seconds before it pops the trunk.
Ok, I now I bet I'll discover that my trunk release button ISN'T broke like I have been thinking it was....hmmm.....

I love the ORG!
Old 05-11-2006, 04:07 AM
2011 Honda Pilot EX-L

Car: white '99 2.0 GLS stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivy
Ok, I now I bet I'll discover that my trunk release button ISN'T broke like I have been thinking it was....hmmm.....

I love the ORG!
he..he..he...
"Reality is just that surreal time between my dreams" - me
Old 05-11-2006, 12:41 PM
lovin' veedubbin'

So I ran out to Dublin last night after work and sure enough:

1. My remote works for the trunk just like it's suppose to when I do it right!

2. There IS a red light underneath my dash that I never noticed before - love it!

What else can you teach me today????

and....

3. I love the little space behind the button I don't use for seat warmers!!!! my personal little stash hole.....I'll put money in there and forget about it and one day I'll be all excited that I'm richer than I thought! (yeah....whatever....)
Old 05-11-2006, 01:18 PM
Car Crazy Girl

Car: 2001 GLS Turbo Vortex Blue

When the check engine light comes on, their is nothing wrong with your bug...you have too much money in you pockets,,,,LOL
in the blink of an eye
Old 05-11-2006, 01:35 PM
Member Sponsor

Car: Ex 1999 Beetle GLS Owner/2005 Honda Pilot/2008 Acura TSX

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberGreenBaby
Ahhh so there is no option to open it halfway or 3/4s of the way? Its either open or shut and no in between?
You can open it part way. Just press the toggle switch towards the closed position to stop the sunroof panel where you want it. I usually don't open it fully, cause I get this wierd sense of air pressure variance in the car when slowing down.....occuring about 15-25mph or so......its weird, but only shows itself with a fully open roof. If the roof is closed just by a few inches from the fully open position, this effect goes away.
Old 05-12-2006, 01:28 AM
dunno513

Car: 06 TDI NB w/DSG

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalputty
You can also lock your keys in the car by ... getting out of your car, unlocking the doors, closing the driver door, opening the passanger door, locking the doors ... and leaving your key in the seat while closing the pass door. HA! :P

---------

I didnt know that you could open the sunroof alllll the way! It hurts the ears but... hehe. It opens all the way. I dont any other secrets.
Way too much free time

Oh yea, if you unlock the doors, and do not open them with in a set amount of time they will relock. I also find my trunk will not open if I unlock it with the remote, then wait more than 10 seconds or so. I'm not sure if this is a security feature, or just an annoying glitch in my latch.

Anyone know how to change the clock from 12 hr to 24 hr?
Old 05-12-2006, 02:18 AM
Caliente!

Car: 2004 Uni-Red NBC GLS 1.8T

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsy98nb
... found out that you cant really spray your windshield with the top down or did the salesman need a Bath
I tried that once in my driveway....not good!
Old 05-12-2006, 12:25 PM
<-----No More Beetle :(

Car: 2011 Kia Soul in Shadow (Black)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno513
Anyone know how to change the clock from 12 hr to 24 hr?
With the car off hold down the h and the m button at the same time until it switches over.
Old 05-12-2006, 05:06 PM
Member Sponsor

Car: 2003 GLS 2.0

on the whole sunroof switch thing, 98-2000 with the rotary switch WOULD allow you to open the sunroof all the way without stopping. I had a 2000 and have driven many older NB's and they all do that. I believe in the later years (this is the case for my '06 and several newer NB's) they made the switch stop so the sunroof was still part way closed (to prevent that awful thumping sound) but you do have the option of opening it all the way after you open it to the dot as previously mentioned. Hope this helps? One secret I found out...if someone's tailgating you...just spray your windshield washers, it'll completely soak the person behind you, they usually back off
Old 05-12-2006, 05:11 PM
Where is home ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_merry
One secret I found out...if someone's tailgating you...just spray your windshield washers, it'll completely soak the person behind you, they usually back off
LOL! I do that too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.