VW Beetle Forum banner

Injector Pump needed

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  garrett 
#1 ·
Just came home with the shocking news: My 2001 "New" Beetle, with 105,000 miles, needs a injector pump replacement. A local mechanic estimated $2,500 labor and parts! My heart aches.

Symptoms: smell of diesel especially win the air conditioning is on, as well as a 15% decrease in mileage.

Any ideas for parts and/or reliable mechanics in the New Orleans area?

Appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Michael

Less important: I need to replace the driver's side inner trim. The leather peeled off and brown glue is everywhere.
Thanks.

#3 ·
please tell me you didn't go to Greff.

The labor call on replacing the injector pump (MFI pump) is 4.0 hours, dealer retail on a new one is $1325-1400 depending on if you have manual or auto transmission.

Lemme look through a few of my suppliers and see what i can't come up with as far as strictly part price.

As for shops in the New Orleans area, if it weren't diesel, I'd say to bring it by, but I know squat about diesel. My buddy owns German Automotive on Manhattan over on the westbank. He's (Rollo) a spectacular mechanic and won't screw you over.

#4 ·
as for the trim problem, are you talking about the door trim? (lays over the armrest and floats under the grab handle). This piece falls on every Beetle I've ever dealt with. Carl over at Customs to Classics (used to be Southport Trim) at 3219 Johnson St. (half block down from the Causeway police station) redid one set I had for a 2002 for around $75.

#7 ·
I'm not intending this toward you as you may not know but
Stay as FAR AWAY from that guy and his subpar parts as possible. Do a search on TDIClub for "Rothenbacher Engineering" and read some of the horror stories.
I work at a major online TDI Parts Retailer and we had a customer call up saying he bought a head and headgasket set for his TDI from that fellow and it lasted 25! YES 25 miles before it blew up and he wouldn't honor the warranty. :eek::eek:
Nearly every week he makes a new website because all of his old customers find the sites and bash him. He's a scumbag.

Your engine is an "ALH". For what it's worth a new pump from us is $1,195 for a manual and a remanufactured 11mm pump for an automatic is $2,195.00, before the $875 core charge. You can regularly find good used ones on TDIClub.com for 500ish. Or we sell a complete injection pump seal kit for $27.95. That may solve lots of your issues but I do not know.

(11mm pumps are an upgrade from a 10mm on a standard transmission FWIW)

#6 ·
Sure you need an entirely new one? May be able to just reseal it if its the IP that's the problem.

Trusted TDI Mechanics - By State - TDIClub Forums
^ Doesn't show anyone in LA, but you can also post. Doesn't hurt to ask...there may be someone around that hasn't been added yet.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.