GL, GLS, GLX- Difference? - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > NewBeetle.org > New Member Forum

New Member Forum This forum is the welcoming room for new members of NewBeetle.org. Please stop by and introduce yourself or ask questions on the use of the forums and this website.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2006, 11:42 PM

Car: 2006 Harvest Moon, Pkg 2
Default GL, GLS, GLX- Difference?

what is the difference between these models?

thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2006, 01:30 AM
Antenna rot

Car: 2002 GLS 1.8T Riviera Blue/Cream

GLX - Gas turbo only. Rain sensing wipers and auto-dimming rearview mirror set it apart from the GLS. In '01 & '02, the GLX could be purchased with the rather nice looking optional 17" "Daytona" wheels. For 2003 model year, I've seen these wheels on the GLS verts as well. Chromaflair paint offered only on 2003 GLX.

GLS - All engines offered. 2.0 gas, 1.8 gas turbo and 1.9 turbo diesel. All lifestyle packages were GLS based models. My Riviera Blue is one lifestyle pkg. Luna Green is another as well as all Color Concepts (red, blue, green, yellow & orange).
Sunroof & power windows available on GLS. 16" alloy wheels available. All fabrics available for interior.

GL - Primarily 2.0 motor. I believe the diesel was also offered on the GL from '98 - '05? (I've seen an '03). The 1.8 turbo was a 2003 only item. Primarily fabric interiors (maybe some leatherette??). No sunroof, no power windows (until 2003 I think). Steel wheels/wheel covers only. No alloys.

Then you've got the Turbo S and the Sport models.

Long answer. I hope this helps.
Old 06-09-2006, 01:45 AM

Car: 2006 Harvest Moon, Pkg 2

Thanks that really clears it up. This was great info.
Old 06-09-2006, 03:37 AM
Bug Less

Car: 85 Cabriolet ~ 02 Accord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willygood
GLX - Gas turbo only. Rain sensing wipers and auto-dimming rearview mirror set it apart from the GLS. In '01 & '02, the GLX could be purchased with the rather nice looking optional 17" "Daytona" wheels. For 2003 model year, I've seen these wheels on the GLS verts as well. Chromaflair paint offered only on 2003 GLX.

GLS - All engines offered. 2.0 gas, 1.8 gas turbo and 1.9 turbo diesel. All lifestyle packages were GLS based models. My Riviera Blue is one lifestyle pkg. Luna Green is another as well as all Color Concepts (red, blue, green, yellow & orange).
Sunroof & power windows available on GLS. 16" alloy wheels available. All fabrics available for interior.

GL - Primarily 2.0 motor. I believe the diesel was also offered on the GL from '98 - '05? (I've seen an '03). The 1.8 turbo was a 2003 only item. Primarily fabric interiors (maybe some leatherette??). No sunroof, no power windows (until 2003 I think). Steel wheels/wheel covers only. No alloys.

Then you've got the Turbo S and the Sport models.

Long answer. I hope this helps.
I dont recall there being a 1.8T in a GL model . some of the early GL's offered power windows I believe ( saw one on ebay unless someone swaped the lower grill) . leatherette was an option , 04 was the first year for a GL in a NBC . gotta love that manual top . I think 04 was also the last year for a Gl with a TDI option, whats the Lifestyles package you speak of of course i had a 98 GLS so im sure this wasnt an option back then mine had cloth , steelies, fogs
Old 06-09-2006, 06:44 AM
Retired Car Whore

Car: 2004 BMW 530i SMG & 2008 VW Passat VR6 Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsy98nb
Whats the Lifestyles package you speak of
I thought that the lifestyles package was for the color concept cars that gave them the color matched sport seats and take fives w/color inserts. I remember it being on the color concepts, but not the others. (Although I admit, I never looked at the other cars, but I DO LOVE that Riviera Blue!)
Old 06-09-2006, 08:01 AM
Moderation in Moderation

Car: 2012 Yellow Rush Beetle 2.5 & 1970 VW Bug

For 2002 or 2003 (can't remember) there was a GL Turbo option. I haven't seen one in person but there were a few listed on the computer.

I always thought that was the perfect entry level bug. $17,500 bought you an AWV 1.8T bug with out all the weight of the optional extras... that would be one sweet base for a Hi-Po bug.

I wish they still had it in thier line up... well then again I wish they still had the 1.8T.

■■■■■■■■■■■■
Old 06-09-2006, 12:28 PM
Aphid is FUN!

Car: 2003 CGCC "Aphid"

Willygood, lots of good info in such a succinct post!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severecaraddict
I thought that the lifestyles package was for the color concept cars...
Correct. That's how VW listed the package that transformed a 1.8T GLS into Color Concept. I don't recall any other special edition using that nomenclature.
Old 06-09-2006, 09:06 PM
Antenna rot

Beginning in 2000, VW offered up some special editions which, I guess, consisted basically of a special paint color with uniquely bundled options.

2000 - Vapor Blue & Reflex Yellow
2001 - Isotope Green & Vortex Blue (a very limited run of Vortex was available in 2000)
2002 - Riviera Blue & Luna Green
2003 - Chromaflair in purple or green (all black interior)
2005? - Satellite Blue
2005 - 2-tone red/black coupe and Dark Flint 'vert

With the exception of the Chromaflairs, all were GLS based. Some were available with both 2.0 & turbo (although I saw pics of a Vortex diesel), some were limited to one or the other.

VW also produced the Sport NB from '01 to '04?. These used the turbo/5-speed combo, sport seats & Take 5 wheels. Are the Sports considered GLS's?

I could be mistaken in applying the lifestyle pkg name to the Riviera Blue. I'll have to check the window sticker to see how VW described it. But the special edition package as it applied to the Riviera Blue paint color consisted of beige leather seating, heated seats, cold weather pkg, sunroof, Monsoon sound & 16" alloy wheels. Less than 1500 were produced.

I agree with Fowvay. If you want a fast turbo, a GL/turbo is the one to play with!
Old 06-09-2006, 09:12 PM
Retired Car Whore

Quote:
Beginning in 2000, VW offered up some special editions which, I guess, consisted basically of a special paint color with uniquely bundled options.

2000 - Vapor Blue & Reflex Yellow
2001 - Isotope Green & Vortex Blue (a very limited run of Vortex was available in 2000)
2002 - Riviera Blue & Luna Green
2003 - Chromaflair in purple or green (all black interior)
2005? - Satellite Blue
2005 - 2-tone red/black coupe and Dark Flint 'vert

With the exception of the Chromaflairs, all were GLS based. Some were available with both 2.0 & turbo (although I saw pics of a Vortex diesel), some were limited to one or the other.

VW also produced the Sport NB from '01 to '04?. These used the turbo/5-speed combo, sport seats & Take 5 wheels. Are the Sports considered GLS's?

I could be mistaken in applying the lifestyle pkg name to the Riviera Blue. I'll have to check the window sticker to see how VW described it. But the special edition package as it applied to the Riviera Blue paint color consisted of beige leather seating, heated seats, cold weather pkg, sunroof, Monsoon sound & 16" alloy wheels. Less than 1500 were produced.

I agree with Fowvay. If you want a fast turbo, a GL/turbo is the one to play with!
The Sports were GLS(s) with Sport badging and you're correct in the options. I bought one new in 2002 and they were made for 2001 and 2002 only. I'm 99.9% sure that the lifestyles package was exlcusive to the color concepts, but I may be wrong. (As shocking as it may be for some people to know, I DO admit to being wrong from time to time)
Old 06-13-2006, 02:58 AM
Antenna rot

Default GL turbo

I was cruising Autotrader today and found a nice looking black 2003 GL turbo! Externally, it looks like a GLS turbo sans sunroof. Neat! The VIN to look for, '03 at least, is 3VWBD21.

For those who are looking, it's at Hallmark VW in Tennessee.
Old 06-13-2006, 03:02 AM
Retired Car Whore

Quote:
For those who are looking, it's at Hallmark VW in Tennessee.
For those who care: If its at the Hallmark VW in Madison, I'd run, not walk away. They're friggin iditos! If its the one in Franklin, its run MUCH better!
Old 06-13-2006, 03:22 AM
Antenna rot

Default Franklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severecaraddict
For those who care: If its at the Hallmark VW in Madison, I'd run, not walk away. They're friggin iditos! If its the one in Franklin, its run MUCH better!
Cool Springs in Franklin.
Old 06-13-2006, 10:16 PM
Antenna rot

Default Lifestyle.

I appologize to the Color Concept peeps. Riviera Blue isn't a lifestyle...
it's a style of life

So, DWRAT, have you come up with a choice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.