Adjust hood gap? - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > Discussion - Styling > Paint and Body

Paint and Body The place to discuss paint and body related problems, modifications and custom ideas pertaining to the New Beetle.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2008, 07:25 PM

Default Adjust hood gap?

So, I noticed the gap on my hood seems to be off on one side.

I'm assuming this could be a moderately easy fix if I knew what to adjust. Or should I run it up to a body shop?

Circled is the problem side. Other shot is the other side.
Attached Images/Files

Advertisement

Old 11-10-2008, 07:48 PM
Y2K Speedle

Car: 2000 Beetle 2.0 Manual

There are two rubber pins on the inner front part of the hood. You can turn them and adjust the hight of the front ( close to lock mechanism ) part.
For the rear adjustment, there is a scissors like mechanism (similar to the trunk) with only one bolt on it that is used to adjust the hight of the hood. First determinate which hight is good for you and then go to the other side and adjust the bolt to the same dept ( turn the bolt until you have the same number of threads visible ).

Do this on you own risk. There is a good reason why I am saying that. I wanted to adjust trunk lid the same way and I played with left and right side and I lost count and ended up with rattling trunk which is a #%&*!!#!*# to set right. ( still fighting with it after almost a year! ). May be someone with non rattling trunk lid on 2000, 2.0 can jump out and count visible threads so I can finally adjust mine
Old 11-11-2008, 12:46 AM

Something else must be tweaked. Even all the way out, those rubber stoppers never touch. It's almost like the hood is warped. Somebody probably sat on it or leaned on it, or shut something under it at some point.

Time to find a good body shop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2008, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beltaine View Post
Something else must be tweaked. Even all the way out, those rubber stoppers never touch. It's almost like the hood is warped. Somebody probably sat on it or leaned on it, or shut something under it at some point.

Time to find a good body shop.
Car was probably wrecked. Is is a salvage?
Old 11-19-2008, 07:06 PM

Not salvage, and carfax was clean.

I DID notice the headlight on that side is aftermarket. So I'm guessing there was a fender-bender or deer involved. Something not bad enough to go on the title record.

Going to try and find a decent body shop and hope I don't have to buy a new hood.

If it was on the passenger side, I might let it go, but since I see it every time I get in and out of the car it bugs the "youknowwhat" out of me.
Old 11-21-2008, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beltaine View Post
Not salvage, and carfax was clean.

I DID notice the headlight on that side is aftermarket. So I'm guessing there was a fender-bender or deer involved. Something not bad enough to go on the title record.

Going to try and find a decent body shop and hope I don't have to buy a new hood.

If it was on the passenger side, I might let it go, but since I see it every time I get in and out of the car it bugs the "youknowwhat" out of me.
Probably had a Chinese made hood installed on it when fixed.
Old 11-24-2008, 04:08 PM

I got it fixed this weekend.

All it took was screwdriver, a 13mm wrench, and some patience.

I popped off the plastic covers on the hood hinge bolts where they connect to the car (not the hood) loosened the two nuts, used my left arm and shoulder to get the hinge to sit where I wanted it, and re-tightened with my right hand.

I goofed up the first try and nicked a 1/4" cut in the paint down to the metal on the pillar where the hood meets. Re-adjusted the gap and put a dab of touch up on the chip to keep it from going rusty until I can fix it when the weather gets warm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.