Front Bumper Cover Replacement - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > Discussion - Styling > Paint and Body

Paint and Body The place to discuss paint and body related problems, modifications and custom ideas pertaining to the New Beetle.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2011, 04:23 AM

Default Front Bumper Cover Replacement

Hey guys. Im new to the forum. Picked up my new to me 01 Cyber Green Beetle from my sister who purchased it new 10 years ago. Great car but needs some tlc. Should I pay top price for an oem front bumper or can someone reccomend a quality aftermarket capa certified part. I want it to look nice. also, can the plastic on the bumpers be glued back togather for repairs. Attached is a photo or two of the beetle with the affected front bumper. It is broken where the front valance attaches to the bumper. Thanks for the help.
Attached Images/Files

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2011, 01:59 AM

Wow. Anyone out there. Just want to know if I can glue or repair these bumpers. It would be alot cheaper. PLEASE HELP
Old 04-25-2011, 02:06 AM
50% OLD (o\_l_/o) School

Car: 2013 Kia Rio-5

Welcome!

Nice Car! Nice color!

Patience grasshopper ... Someone with the right knowledge will chime in soon enough. Enjoy the experience. Look around and check out the other cars, maybe you will see the front you like and can ask them about it.
Old 04-25-2011, 03:53 AM

Cool

Thanks for the reply. Just ready to get to work on my new beetle. Great forum. I have been reading alot lately. I like grasshopper. Right color
Old 04-25-2011, 05:25 AM
50% OLD (o\_l_/o) School

What you really need is a grill right? Not the whole bumper. The grill is just the bottom piece with the mesh in it.

Check this out to see if you like it: New VW Beetle Body Kit Styling by Caractere

This kit is a whole set that replaces front and rear with side enhancers. A bit pricey so you may just want to get an OEM grill. You should be able to buy only the front though.

You should be able to get good condition used ones here (for sale cheaper than most anywhere else from members) that can be resprayed to color match (if you get a new one you would most likely have to spray it also).
Old 04-25-2011, 07:43 PM

Actually, the part of the front bumper cover that the front valance slides into and snaps into has separated on the passanger side. If you look at the second photo you can see it. I would like to just repair the bumper cover clips. Maybe weld or glue it. Seems like someonw said use a soldering gun or something. I plan on painting the entire car, add an oem spoiler and "pull out the dent in the rocker panel. Any advice on going back with the cyber green. I allready know it fades alot. Thanks for your help.
Old 04-25-2011, 11:17 PM
Banned

Car: 1.9 TDi Alaskan Green

If your going to get a bumper, get a V5 or Votex one. Why goto all the fuss of a new bumper when you can upgrade it

Bumpers are all over ebay and if your spraying it anyway

Nice Bug though

The soldering iron is to act as a glue stick seeing as the bumpers are plastic. Like when the dealers put the number plate on the bumper with screws. You unscrew your plate, stick the soldering iron in the holes and wait until it starts to melt and slowly pull out the iron which fills the holes Slowly pull out the iron i said !! Known people pull it out TOO FAST when it starts to melt and get spaghetti bumper hairs
Old 04-26-2011, 12:03 AM
Banned

Car: 1.9 TDi Alaskan Green

A more helpful reply

2001 New Beetle VW Replacement Parts

Old 04-26-2011, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blugg View Post
If your going to get a bumper, get a V5 or Votex one. Why goto all the fuss of a new bumper when you can upgrade it

Bumpers are all over ebay and if your spraying it anyway

Nice Bug though

The soldering iron is to act as a glue stick seeing as the bumpers are plastic. Like when the dealers put the number plate on the bumper with screws. You unscrew your plate, stick the soldering iron in the holes and wait until it starts to melt and slowly pull out the iron which fills the holes Slowly pull out the iron i said !! Known people pull it out TOO FAST when it starts to melt and get spaghetti bumper hairs
So i guess i can just take the soldering iron and try to fuse the parts togather. I have a tab broken also so I guess I will try that too. Thanks for the help.
Old 04-26-2011, 03:15 AM

Where do I find the v5 or vortex front bumpers.
Old 04-26-2011, 03:57 AM
50% OLD (o\_l_/o) School

It would be MUCH cheaper to stay with the same color regardless of fading etc. Anytime you change the color of a car you have to pay BIG bucks!

I LOVE black cars ... but if I needed to respray my cyber green I would probably stick with the same color. Now if I had lots of money I would change it
Old 04-26-2011, 03:36 PM

I plan on staying with the same color. Just wondering if the paints have improved in the last 10 years to avoid the fade problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.