Broken door handle: Any ideas on how to fix (w/ pics)? - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > Discussion - Styling > Paint and Body

Paint and Body The place to discuss paint and body related problems, modifications and custom ideas pertaining to the New Beetle.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 09-11-2011, 11:40 PM
rmi's Avatar
rmiRegistered Member rmi is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location:
Athens, GA,
Car: 2001 2.0L New Beetle GLS, 1996 2.0l GTI 4cyl
Default Broken door handle: Any ideas on how to fix (w/ pics)?

Hey everyone:

The interior door handle of my 2001 2.0L gas recently broke (see pics below). I am not positive that the two are related, but my window regulator cables also got messed up. I have a regulator fix kit on its way.

Any DIY ideas for this handle? ABS cement? Epoxy? Plastic reinforcement strips? Wire?

My ears are totally open to any and all suggestions!

Thanks- Ryan





Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 09-11-2011, 11:57 PM
MyOtherRidesAVette's Avatar
Member Sponsor
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location:
Houston, TX, USA
Car: '05 Vert "Dark Flint Limited Edition"
Default

The handles are cheap. The door panel that is cracking next to the handle, well that is a different story. I probably have the part number somewhere. I see and hear about this all the time, My Daughter broke both in the NB I bought here. Stop slamming your doors, they close very easily if they are properly adjusted and lubricated. Can you not see two attachment screws? I think I can almost see the top one in your picture. I don't remeber exactly how they attach, I'd have to look at the spare handle I have. Or in the Bentley if it even shows it. The Bentley doesn't show it, but indicates the face piece (it is a two part assembly) needs to be remved to R&R the door panel so there must be fasteners there, that mount both the handle and the door panel to the door frame.

You can go here and find the part number yourself.
VW Parts and Accessories

Then simply Google the part number. Or p/m me and I can give you a list of 15-20 online sources. VW Dealer Parts and OEM Resellers.

MORAV
__________________
In der Automobil-Scheune
'02 NBT, A/T, Moonroof, Platinum Gray, Flannel Gray Leather Interior (Currently on the slab in the morgue, possible ressurection in the offing)
'05 NB Convertible, Tip 6sd, Dark Flint Gray Edition, Garnet Red Top, Bordeaux Red Leather Interior
'01 Corvette Convertible, Magnetic Red, Light Oak Top, Light Oak Leather Interior
'96 Suburban LT 2500, 454BB, Summit White, Neutral Leather Interior
'95 Camaro Z28 Convertible, Polo Green, Black Top, Tan Leather Interior

Last edited by MyOtherRidesAVette; 09-12-2011 at 12:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 09-12-2011, 12:12 AM
rmi's Avatar
rmiRegistered Member rmi is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location:
Athens, GA,
Car: 2001 2.0L New Beetle GLS, 1996 2.0l GTI 4cyl
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyOtherRidesAVette View Post
The handles are cheap. The door panel that is cracking next to the handle, well that is a different story. I probably have the part number somewhere. I see and hear about this all the time, My Daughter broke both in the NB I bought here. Stop slamming your doors, they close very easily if they are properly adjusted and lubricated. Can you not see two attachment screws? I think I can almost see the top one in your picture. I don't remeber exactly how they attach, I'd have to look at the spare handle I have. Or in the Bentley if it even shows it. The Bentley doesn't show it, but indicates the face piece (it is a two part assembly) needs to be remved to R&R the door panel so there must be fasteners there, that mount both the handle and the door panel to the door frame.

You can go here and find the part number yourself.
VW Parts and Accessories

Then simply Google the part number. Or p/m me and I can give you a list of 15-20 online sources. VW Dealer Parts and OEM Resellers.

MORAV
Thanks for the advice. I looked at the link you posted, but can't figure out which part number I need:

2001 New Beetle VW Replacement Parts

That's a great website, though. I am sure I will use it in the future.

Is there not a cheap DIY fix? Zip ties?!

You are right about the screws. That entire panel was sitting on my porch when I took the photo, so there were no screws in it. I have everything gutted (and the window taped shut) and am expecting my regulator replacement parts tomorrow.

Thanks-Ryan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 09-12-2011, 12:23 AM
MyOtherRidesAVette's Avatar
Member Sponsor
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location:
Houston, TX, USA
Car: '05 Vert "Dark Flint Limited Edition"
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmi View Post
Thanks for the advice. I looked at the link you posted, but can't figure out which part number I need:

2001 New Beetle VW Replacement Parts

That's a great website, though. I am sure I will use it in the future.

Is there not a cheap DIY fix? Zip ties?!

You are right about the screws. That entire panel was sitting on my porch when I took the photo, so there were no screws in it. I have everything gutted (and the window taped shut) and am expecting my regulator replacement parts tomorrow.

Thanks-Ryan
The face piece is Position #5 in your link. I could be mistaken. I thought the one I had was the entire assembly, but looking at this diagram, it appears the back piece is apart of the door trim. I didn't replace my Daughter's, she wrecked the car, and I have it back, in the morgue, awaiting resurrection. So...

Your best bet may be to buy the face piece, and then fashion a reinforcement behind the broken piece, and simultaneously bond it and the broken pieces back together, carefully though so you can snap on the face. I'll look at your pics again, and see if I can figure a better way. The face piece is like $15.

M.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 09-12-2011, 12:57 PM
rmi's Avatar
rmiRegistered Member rmi is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location:
Athens, GA,
Car: 2001 2.0L New Beetle GLS, 1996 2.0l GTI 4cyl
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyOtherRidesAVette View Post
The face piece is Position #5 in your link. I could be mistaken. I thought the one I had was the entire assembly, but looking at this diagram, it appears the back piece is apart of the door trim. I didn't replace my Daughter's, she wrecked the car, and I have it back, in the morgue, awaiting resurrection. So...

Your best bet may be to buy the face piece, and then fashion a reinforcement behind the broken piece, and simultaneously bond it and the broken pieces back together, carefully though so you can snap on the face. I'll look at your pics again, and see if I can figure a better way. The face piece is like $15.

M.
My face piece is still OK. What I need to figure out is how to fix the part of the handle that is attached to the door trim.....and still be able to snap the face piece back on.

Thanks- Ryan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 09-12-2011, 02:55 PM
MyOtherRidesAVette's Avatar
Member Sponsor
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location:
Houston, TX, USA
Car: '05 Vert "Dark Flint Limited Edition"
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmi View Post
My face piece is still OK. What I need to figure out is how to fix the part of the handle that is attached to the door trim.....and still be able to snap the face piece back on.

Thanks- Ryan
I had a post ready to submit last night and when I tried I began having problems with the Org server. Could not commute and the post was lost. I think I have come up with a solution. Real busy right now, will try to get back to you tonight.
p/m me a reminder if I forget.

M.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 09-12-2011, 03:02 PM
rmi's Avatar
rmiRegistered Member rmi is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location:
Athens, GA,
Car: 2001 2.0L New Beetle GLS, 1996 2.0l GTI 4cyl
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyOtherRidesAVette View Post
I had a post ready to submit last night and when I tried I began having problems with the Org server. Could not commute and the post was lost. I think I have come up with a solution. Real busy right now, will try to get back to you tonight.
p/m me a reminder if I forget.

M.
Cool. That would be great!

Ryan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 09-12-2011, 06:01 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location:
Ft. Wayne, IN,
Car: 00 TDI NB
Default

you might be able to fix that with fiberglass fairly easily. that is about the only thing i can think of strong enough to hold the pieces together
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 09-12-2011, 06:09 PM
rmi's Avatar
rmiRegistered Member rmi is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location:
Athens, GA,
Car: 2001 2.0L New Beetle GLS, 1996 2.0l GTI 4cyl
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_2_o View Post
you might be able to fix that with fiberglass fairly easily. that is about the only thing i can think of strong enough to hold the pieces together
Fiberglass sounds promising. Any tutorials that you can think of? My only plastic work has been trying to repair a cracked motorcycle fairing....and that went pretty poorly. I don't know a thing about using fiberglass and don't even know what kind of raw materials I would need.

I figure if I can get some sort of material to use as bracing and get some sort of glue/epoxy/cement to stick, I may have a chance.

Thanks- Ryan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 09-12-2011, 06:25 PM
MyOtherRidesAVette's Avatar
Member Sponsor
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location:
Houston, TX, USA
Car: '05 Vert "Dark Flint Limited Edition"
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmi View Post
Fiberglass sounds promising. Any tutorials that you can think of? My only plastic work has been trying to repair a cracked motorcycle fairing....and that went pretty poorly. I don't know a thing about using fiberglass and don't even know what kind of raw materials I would need.

I figure if I can get some sort of material to use as bracing and get some sort of glue/epoxy/cement to stick, I may have a chance.

Thanks- Ryan
I had considered fiberglass, and you will need to do that to reinforce the backside of the panel where IT is cracking and possibly to fuse the broken piece back together, but I have a better, permanent, solution to the handle portion of the fix. I'm too busy to get into it right now, but will get back here with a post. I believe anyone with this problem, or even concerned about theirs ultimately breaking will want to see my solution. Also need to pop the cover off one of mine to confirm it can be done as I visualize.

Stay tuned...

M.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 09-12-2011, 09:47 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Default

My daughter New Beetle has the exact same problem! Both doors! The previous owner used a fiberglass compound to glue the broken parts together. It did not work for long and it came apart. After we purchased the car. I fixed the drivers door by using wire. Basically, I ran wire around the big screw in the door handle, (there are two that holds the door in the car),and then snitched the two broken pieces together with the wire. Oh, I drilled holes for the wire to go into. My daughter has the car so I cannot take a picture, but you can see from your picture how one can wire the two broken pieces together. IMO, it's a shame this problem even happens. Maybe a plastic with a reinforcing metal insert should have be used in this area. Anyway, the glove box handle broke on our car and I need to figure out a way to fix this!

Last edited by jbremount; 09-12-2011 at 09:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 09-15-2011, 12:16 AM
rmi's Avatar
rmiRegistered Member rmi is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location:
Athens, GA,
Car: 2001 2.0L New Beetle GLS, 1996 2.0l GTI 4cyl
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbremount View Post
My daughter New Beetle has the exact same problem! Both doors! The previous owner used a fiberglass compound to glue the broken parts together. It did not work for long and it came apart. After we purchased the car. I fixed the drivers door by using wire. Basically, I ran wire around the big screw in the door handle, (there are two that holds the door in the car),and then snitched the two broken pieces together with the wire. Oh, I drilled holes for the wire to go into. My daughter has the car so I cannot take a picture, but you can see from your picture how one can wire the two broken pieces together. IMO, it's a shame this problem even happens. Maybe a plastic with a reinforcing metal insert should have be used in this area. Anyway, the glove box handle broke on our car and I need to figure out a way to fix this!
Thanks for the advice and sorry for the delayed response. Wire sounds interesting. I was thinking about a fix like that , but couldn't visualize what I needed to do. Have any pictures?

As luck would have it, I have been having difficulty with the window regulator and have not yet gotten to the door fix.

Ryan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 09-16-2011, 02:47 AM
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location:
Galena, KS, USA
Car: 2002 GLS - 2003 Turbo S
Default Door Handle Fix

I fixed mine by taking a stainless steel hose clamp and cutting it so you just have the solid peice of stainless without the notches to work with. Then bend one end to form a 90 degree angle. This will go to the top where your break is. Next drill a hole big enough for the screw that held the old door handle on. You will have to grind the edges off so it will fit down in the hole where your old screw was that secured your old door handle. After you have got that fit up you will have to measure the distance to bend the stainless so that it runs right along the door handle about an inch or so. I kept it short so when I drilled my next hole at the end of the stainless for my machine screw that runs through the stainlees and the plastic door handle it would be hidden. When you install the outer cover you will have to take a dremel and grind out the plastic that goes in the hole where the stainless secures your top screw for the handle. Very strong fix instead of buying a complete door panel. In all it took about 30 minutes to fabricate. Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 09-16-2011, 04:58 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location:
Ft. Wayne, IN,
Car: 00 TDI NB
Default

fiberglass get's a lot stronger when it has something additional to strengthen over. the crack by itself just fiber-glassed over would cause a weak spot there, however if you were able to get a piece of plastic, wood, or metal bent around the area and fiber-glassed over that it would IMHO be crazy strong. as for tutorials hit up youtube there is literally hundreds of them there.

good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 09-16-2011, 11:20 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdmike View Post
I fixed mine by taking a stainless steel hose clamp and cutting it so you just have the solid peice of stainless without the notches to work with. Then bend one end to form a 90 degree angle. This will go to the top where your break is. Next drill a hole big enough for the screw that held the old door handle on. You will have to grind the edges off so it will fit down in the hole where your old screw was that secured your old door handle. After you have got that fit up you will have to measure the distance to bend the stainless so that it runs right along the door handle about an inch or so. I kept it short so when I drilled my next hole at the end of the stainless for my machine screw that runs through the stainlees and the plastic door handle it would be hidden. When you install the outer cover you will have to take a dremel and grind out the plastic that goes in the hole where the stainless secures your top screw for the handle. Very strong fix instead of buying a complete door panel. In all it took about 30 minutes to fabricate. Hope this helps.

This looks like a good fix. Do you have a picture?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 09-16-2011, 03:16 PM
rmi's Avatar
rmiRegistered Member rmi is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location:
Athens, GA,
Car: 2001 2.0L New Beetle GLS, 1996 2.0l GTI 4cyl
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbremount View Post
This looks like a good fix. Do you have a picture?
Cheap and simple is what I like too! Unfortunately I am really a visual learner and would love a picture if you have one.

Going to hopefully finalize my regulator repair this weekend and will be left with my door handle repair!

Ryan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 09-19-2011, 03:11 AM
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location:
Galena, KS, USA
Car: 2002 GLS - 2003 Turbo S
Default

No pic sorry...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 12-12-2011, 03:44 AM
riverratmike's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location:
Lake Havasu City, AZ, USA
Car: 2005 2.0L Beetle Hard Top
Default

the plastic is a joke in the new beetle. Very brittle and cheap! My wife has a 2004 and both interior door handles have broke. The passenger has completely ripped off. Am I correct but to have this replaced you'd have to purchase part of the door panel? Has anyone just come up with a simple replacement part for these door handles?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 12-31-2011, 10:40 PM
newton27's Avatar
NB Virgin
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location:
Jacksonville, FL, USA
Car: 2000 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2.0
Default

This was my fix, using some small chain and a solder iron to make way for chain to lay, works like steel!!




Quote:
Originally Posted by rmi View Post
Hey everyone:

The interior door handle of my 2001 2.0L gas recently broke (see pics below). I am not positive that the two are related, but my window regulator cables also got messed up. I have a regulator fix kit on its way.

Any DIY ideas for this handle? ABS cement? Epoxy? Plastic reinforcement strips? Wire?

My ears are totally open to any and all suggestions!

Thanks- Ryan





Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 01-01-2012, 02:14 AM
IndyTom's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location:
Indianapolis, IN, USA
Car: 2012 Tornado Red VW Beetle Tsi
Default

WOW, that's thinking outside the box! Great job Michael!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Broken glovebox handle, WTB? bigpoppax2 Questions, Issues, Concerns, or Problems with the New Beetle 9 04-01-2014 04:59 PM
Broken chair handle... montazhjawn Questions, Issues, Concerns, or Problems with the New Beetle 2 07-26-2010 03:52 AM
interior door handle AND pull handle robino New Beetle Detailing/Cleaning 2 05-29-2010 12:53 AM
my handle/latch for my top might be broken ... HELP!! BadKat68 New Beetle Convertible 1 01-28-2010 03:09 AM
Broken armrest, any ideas???? LauraLadyBug Questions, Issues, Concerns, or Problems with the New Beetle 5 08-08-2006 07:23 PM

All times are GMT. The time now is 08:52 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2