VW Beetle Forum banner

2013 Beetle TDI

6K views 24 replies 17 participants last post by  scarabY2k 
#1 ·
Just got it. No options, just DSG.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Beautiful! And, a Clean Diesel TDI! (where is that "faint" smilie? :lol: )

Congrats! :party:

#8 ·
None (yet) in Alabama

My local dealer couldn't get one for me as there were zero in ALabama. He did give me the printout of all the yellow DSG TDIs in the Southeast (5 total at the time).

I contacted the closest two dealers, both met my price ($24k out the door), and I told whoever got it first would get my business.

The closer dealer was supposed to receive it on a Friday and I made arrangements to fly up and drive it back. When it didn't arrive, I expressed my displeasure, and they offered to truck it to me at no charge.

I accepted and got it a week later. 17 miles on the odometer, full of fuel, and no problems as of today (one week later).

I took it to the local dealer and EVERYONE in the Service Department came out and looked at it. They hadn't seen one yet. Pretty funny!

#6 ·
Ahh a TDI!! YAY!!!:cool: Let us know what your MPGs is.

#9 ·
MPG Numbers

Well, three tanks through it now. My wife driving and 95-98% city. Calculated average: 32.0 MPG.

I have found that I cna get 2-3 more MPG than she does, driving the same car and routes. SHe doesn't seem to care about driving techniques. Just get in and go. :confused:

#11 ·
Beautiful car! What bums me out on the new diesel is the marginal mileage compared to the ALH TDI in the older new beetle. I'm getting average 47 under all conditions with my 6 speed manuals.

#14 ·
Congrats on the new TDI, I did the research as well when buying a 2013 and diesel here in the North East is more than premium and the difference for a stock no options vs fully loaded Turbo did not add up, but non the less it's a personal choice...love the color and please post the mileage...I'm averaging 29 mpg on my stick turbo....backroads...:D

#17 ·
Congratulations on your new TDI!

Nothing thrills like the way your head gets snapped back when you stomp on your Diesel Honda Eater!

Manfred's first fill up was after 250 miles of pure interstate driving. Well, some back woods stuff and a bit of tear assing down I-75! I got just a little over 40.5 mpg I need to fill him again and I expect anywhere from 32-38 mpg in the combined hwy/city driving I do. Mostly big roads in the city where I live.

My O2 TDI did about 42-44 on the hwy (Automatic) and about 34 in the city, but I was racing everyone I could find and driving it like a fighter pilot. I would bet that Manfred is heavier than Der Stuka and I am sure that the 140 hp I now have versus my former 90 hp will show up in my mileage. Still, I don't care. It's fun to drive and the fuel economy is terrific.

Diesel fuel has additional federal taxes added to it and also some states have it taxed higher as well. Years ago Diesel was cheaper than gasoline. Once Oldsmobile starting making a Diesel version of the Delta 88, and became the worlds largest Diesel engine maker overnight, the feds saw a loss of revenue coming due to less gasoline being purchased so they added more taxes to diesel.

Most American refineries make about one half of a 41 gallon barrel of crude oil into gasoline. about 20% is made into Diesel and the rest is refined into heavier oils and lubricants. A few private refineries are gearing up to make only jet fuel for the airlines that own them.

Diesel is more efficient than gasoline due to it's higher BTU content. It's also far more efficient than electric cars as well.

You made a great choice and I am sure you will love him/her over the years!

Chuckie

#18 ·
It's just the opposite in most other countries. Diesel is more efficient and yields better mileage overall so countries like Germany not only give you greater tax incentives but Diesel fuel is about 2 Dollars a Gallon cheaper than regular gas. Of course regular gas is about 8 Dollars a Gallon there :D

#20 ·
2000 New Beetle TDI vs 2013 Beetle TDI

I bought a 2000 New Beetle TDI manual new (paid $18k). My first highway trip, I averaged 54 mpg. This was going to Roswell, NM for R2K.

After I learned to drive it, and it got broken in better, I began to get higher highway mileage. My best tank average was 63.2 mpg calculated. My overall average was 42 mpg over the first 100k miles.

My longest range was 807 miles on one tank. I have made it from Alabama to Dallas on one tank. Also from Alabama to Iowa on one tank.

The 2013 TDI is my wife's. It is DSG, and she is getting about 32 mpg, mainly city driving. I hope that inproves a little after it breaks in.

I regret selling my 2000, and I will not be buying another car for many years. Maybe a 2020 model. :D

#24 ·
MDI missing in my new 2013Beetle TDI

Hello to Everybody,

Jus got a full first week with my new 2013 Platinum Gray Beetle TDI, right out of the cargo ship here in San Diego, CA. I really love it, commute 25miles each way to work and I am getting 46 to 48MPG, I5 freeway and some roads with traffic lights. Question I have for all of you is: I did not get the MDI and the dealer gave me a $175.00 refund instead. Do you know if they are not installing the MDI box, as they say, or this one just for some reason did not have it, also is the 175 the cost of it?? I could not find the part in the VW website, and now I am worry I will no be able to install it after sale...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.