VW Beetle Forum banner

Introducing Manfred Von Richtofen

12K views 93 replies 23 participants last post by  TurboWagon 
#1 ·
Here are the first pics of my new ride. Manfred was the famous Red Baron. My car will be a tribute to him.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
(where is that "faint" smilie?) Awesome! That's gonna be my next car! :party:

Congrats! I hope you have many happy years with this one. :heart:

#4 ·
WOW, I wish Santa brings me one of those :D

I know keep on wishing......

How do you like it? How is the performance? I know it only has 140 HP but the torque is pretty amazing and that is what you feel. I guess I have to go and test drive one to find out.

Crap. no dealer in my area has one. Those diesel thingys are hard to come by and EXPENSIVE. Almost 30K YIKES. I guess I will buy a used 2012 TSI for around 18k ;)

#5 ·
Huh?

30K? Where are you looking? Manfred was about $25K before I traded Der Stuka (02) TDI with 140,000 miles on him. I didn't get a sunroof or the sound/NAV package. So I was looking at below $20K. He is alot quicker than the 02 TDI. He will snap your neck when you stomp on the throttle. Going on this last GTG of about 300 miles he managed 44.5 mpg at 80mp on the highway. at 80mph his tach read a little over 2200 rpm. at 100mph it was right at 3,000 rpm with plenty more to spare. This is with the DSG! I thought I wouldn't like it, but the DSG is really something. He does have the standard VW speedometer glitch where the dash reads 5-8 mph higher than the gps when you get up to 70mph or so. That I hate but I use GARMIN for my speedo most of the time anyway.

His steering is extremely tight and the brakes are so responsive it takes some getting used to. There is a lot more trunk space as well. We took more stuff to JBR this year and didn't have to fold down the seats.

All in all I am thrilled with him. He is scary quick and has freaked out everyone who I have given a ride to. Looks like I am going to have to upgrade the RADAR detection system and add the K40 LASER jammer to him! Bright red might not have been the smartest choice speeding ticket wise!

Chuckie

#6 ·
U traded in ur 02??? Why??? :-:)-:)-(
P.s ate u going to Roswell in June??? :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#7 ·
Answers:

Yes, because it was getting to expensive to keep him alive and we got a good deal on this killer machine. We love him.

Planning on Roswell at this point in time. We will be going to TOD the beginning of May. We will see what the future brings regarding my health and if we can drive all the way to New Mexico.

#9 ·
Well I heard about ur health!!! I'm so sorry I really hope everything works out fine I love to see y'all again in Roswell or maybe I could come visit next year :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#16 ·
Artists Rendition........

These are mockups of Manfred's graphics package that is being applied on Monday. Many thanks to the graphics workshop of Alphonso the Magnificent and SpeedPro Imaging in Jacksonville Fl.

Chuckie

Attachments

#23 ·
These are mockups of Manfred's graphics package that is being applied on Monday. Many thanks to the graphics workshop of Alphonso the Magnificent and SpeedPro Imaging in Jacksonville Fl.

Chuckie
Woah. Love the design. And the brief history lesson. :) We eagerly await the finished product. :)

Sent from my SGH-T989 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#19 ·
Correct you are

Fk is Fokker
Dr.1 Is the model The Fokker Triplane, design "borrowed and enhanced" from Sopwith of England
321 is the most recent incantation of the plane, Mine!

There have been about a dozen or so Dr.1 replicas since 1918. None are known to have survived WWII. An original pair of them was destroyed in Germany when a museum was bombed. I saw one flying at the Old Rhinebeck Airdrome in NY State as a kid. That was 40+ years ago and it still gives me goose bumps thinking about it.

I was going to use Lothar's plane designation, but that would have been really to obscure. Besides, I couldn't put Snoopy doghouses on the side as kills then!

#25 ·
Fk is Fokker
Dr.1 Is the model The Fokker Triplane, design "borrowed and enhanced" from Sopwith of England
321 is the most recent incantation of the plane, Mine!

There have been about a dozen or so Dr.1 replicas since 1918. None are known to have survived WWII. An original pair of them was destroyed in Germany when a museum was bombed. I saw one flying at the Old Rhinebeck Airdrome in NY State as a kid. That was 40+ years ago and it still gives me goose bumps thinking about it.

I was going to use Lothar's plane designation, but that would have been really to obscure. Besides, I couldn't put Snoopy doghouses on the side as kills then!
Thanks for imparting the knowledge Chuckie. I kept meaning to look it up after seeing your design; but I also kept forgetting to. I am a big fan of The Red Baron, but have very little actual plane knowledge in truth. I think my love was actually spawned from Snoopy and his adventures as the red baron :eek:

btw...I am so glad you are incorporating Snoopy doghouses on the side as kills...that is tight. I never can think of The Red Baron without thinking of Snoopy (or, more recently, frozen pizzas...lol). I loved the Snoopy and the Red Baron songs by The Royal Guardsmen when I was a kid (and The Battle of New Orleans). Matter of fact I think I still have the vinyl...runs to living room to check old record collection. I had to go google it because I couldn't remember the band name. Turns out that they are from Ocala, FL according to Wikipedia and that the album was actually recorded here in Tampa. The things you learn with the internet. I listened to that record all the time and never had a clue they were from here or that I now live in the place it was recorded. Darn these kids have it easy nowadays.

#20 ·
Nope, I spelled his name wrong

That's what happens when you rely on memory and data taught in school from textbooks many moons ago versus being an instant expert with a computer and Wikipedia.

My Bad, I guess I should do my research online before speaking out again and looking foolish.

Chuckie

#21 ·
That's what happens when you rely on memory and data taught in school from textbooks many moons ago versus being an instant expert with a computer and Wikipedia.

My Bad, I guess I should do my research online before speaking out again and looking foolish.

Chuckie
No biggie. :) I am from Germany so I kinda picked up on it even without Wikipedia. ;) I think you have an awesome car! I just did a search and from the 3 VW dealerships in Indianapolis only one has a TDI which is also Red with DSG. They want 29k for it. Those things will be hard to find. I may put my old beetle up for sale and perhaps with a few thousand in hand I will have a bit more negotiating power. Probably can't afford the TDI but I have seen some used 2012 TSI's going for about 18k to 19k and with a bit of haggeling I may even get them down a bit more.

Keep us posted on the Red Baron! ;)

#22 ·
Mine was......

About $24,500 it's a DSG with the standard radio (easily enough for me) no sunroof (none to leak) and beige interior. I traded Der Stuka in for him and did about a thousand better than book value. Could have been they dropped the price or screwed with the trade in.

44.5 mpg last tank on the highway. I know it will do 100 mph pretty easily. I absolutely love it! The power is incredible compared to the old ALH engine in my o2 TDI and the mileage is about the same.

Hope to see you around the GTG circuits this year. We will be doing TOD and Roswell and Kokomo in 2013 plus what ever else turns up.

Chuckie

#24 ·
About $24,500 it's a DSG with the standard radio (easily enough for me) no sunroof (none to leak) and beige interior. I traded Der Stuka in for him and did about a thousand better than book value. Could have been they dropped the price or screwed with the trade in.

44.5 mpg last tank on the highway. I know it will do 100 mph pretty easily. I absolutely love it! The power is incredible compared to the old ALH engine in my o2 TDI and the mileage is about the same.

Hope to see you around the GTG circuits this year. We will be doing TOD and Roswell and Kokomo in 2013 plus what ever else turns up.

Chuckie
I look forward to it! I am definitely planning on TOD. I wish I could make Roswell but that is a bit of a stretch for me. What's the Kokomo GTG? If it's in Kokomo, Indiana I am in :D

Damn, I wish I could afford one of those new TDI's They are sweet and I would love the Gas Mileage, even with Diesel being more expensive you still come out way ahead. I don't understand why Diesel in this country is more than regular gas. In Germany Diesel is the fuel of choice and is actually close to $2.00 less a Gallon than regular gas. Of course their regular gas is close to $8.00 a Gallon. :) However, when I was in Germany for business I rented a Toyota Corolla TDI (Looked nothing like our Corollas here) and that thing was awesome on the Autobahn and great on Gas. Still it cost me over 100 Bucks to fill the tank but it lasted me pretty much all week.

#26 ·
Update:

The numbers are on anyway!

While applying the cross to the car the vinyl tore so they had to take off what was applied and start over. They printed it last night and I will hopefully have it put on tomorrow as well as the smaller cross on the passenger side.

The guys at SpeedPro said, "Boy, there are a lot of curved surfaces on that car!"

I guess it really is a chore to plaster a flat printed object 51" wide over a curved surface like a Beetle.

#28 ·
Stress test went well. I am clear to navigate for SOB as the trial should start after I get back.

They are trying again tomorrow on that big decal for Manfred. Hopefully their hot shot guy can get it to fit properly.

Chuckie

#29 ·
Manfred's applied artwork.

Here are the latest pics of Manfred with his artwork applied. Hope you all like it as much as I do.

Chuckie

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.