VW Beetle Forum banner

Rear Clip Removal

2K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  bugart 
#1 ·
Has anybody attempted this? I think that the rear clip is two separate pieces.
I'm wanting to remove the lower piece and paint it a satin or flat black. Has anybody else attempted this? Or do you know if in fact it is two separate pieces. I want it to look like this...

See less See more
#4 ·
I'm about to take mine off and go gloss black with it

From what it looks like though, you need to remove about 4-6 bolts from underneath and then I think the top (all along where it meets the bumper) is held in by snap clips. It should be able to pull off.

I'll post pics and more details under my thread tomorrow after I get it done

#5 ·
Hey I didn't have enough time to remove mine today as my Fiberglas project took a lil longer than expected but I did look and see how to remove it

There is 7 bolts across the bottom. The outer one on each side is a T20 Torx and the inner ones are ones that the center unscrews from an outer screw. Forgot what they're called.

Once you have them out then you should be able to pull it away from the bumper all across the top of the rear clip.

Hope this helps :)

#6 ·
Thanks for the info Chris....didn't get a chance to look at it yesterday, so it'll probably have to wait til next weekend. Hope to get some good pics of the process just in case somebody else wants to try it as well...I think I've decided on satin black.....

#7 ·
Hey if you still haven't had the chance to remove your rear clip, I put some photos and a description in my build post.

Only problem I ran into was the three center plastic screws didn't want to come out so I end up drilling them out. Had that not happened, it would've taken 5 mins to remove it...

#9 ·
Rear valance is off. Chris was right, don't fight with the plastic rivets, drill them out. Readily available at any auto parts store for a couple of bucks. Took about 5 minutes to get the valance off, it's sanded primed and ready for the satin black. Will hopefully have some pics posted tonight....

This post has been deleted
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.