VW Beetle Forum banner

Sally

24K views 81 replies 17 participants last post by  billymade 
#1 ·
Everyone can find their own Volkswagen model... ;)

(2013, the best selling car in Finland)

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Is this your car?

#5 ·
I think this ad is super cool too! :thup:

Little bit strange way to start my new thread, but I thought it would be something different... :p

I will post more pics & information of my Sally soon.
Now the weather is bad, so Sally is not so clean any more :(

:yaya:

#6 ·
Woooow, congratulations with your Sally!
Hope you have lots of fun, and many safe miles!

#8 ·
Two more pics of clean Sally (yesterday was our first day together) :)

Oh, I have to mention, that I was surprised, when I started to think that I would call my newest Bug "Sally"...

So far I haven´t call any of my cars with names. Strange, but name "Sally" just popped up to my mind and it felt just right.

So my red Bug should be called as Sally now ;)

PS. Sally is a 2012 model 1.6 TDI with 77 kW muscles :D

Attachments

#9 ·
great pix, please surprise us with more pix of Sally in your beautiful country!

#12 ·
When, I have visited Germany; I noticed, allot more Diesel vehicles over there! How much cheaper; is diesel vs. gasoline (per litre) or it more expensive and evens out with the added fuel mileage from the TDI engine? Is there any financial incentive; to by a diesel car, in Finland or a tax break etc, if a car gets a certain amount of gas mileage? Seems in Europe, in general; the cost of fuel is so high, diesel and "mini" cars, like a VW Lupo/Polo/UP! are popular, for personal transportation! Your thoughts; on buying a TDI/diesel car? :)

#26 ·
A lot more Diesel Cars on the roads in Germany than there will ever be in the US. Diesel just makes sense. First Diesel in Germany is about 1.31 Euro per liter or converted that is about $6.87 a US Gallon. Compared to E-10 Regular Gasoline which is 1.58 Euro a Gallon or converted about $8.28 a Gallon. So you save $1.41 a Gallon if you buy Diesel vs. Regular Gas. Compared to Premium Gas you save over $2.00 a Gallon. A Diesel Car will also net you a lot more Miles per Gallon of fuel and in Germany you also get Tax and Insurance Credits for driving a Diesel. So it's pretty much a No Brainer on which type of Vehicle to buy if you have any sense. Unless you have all the money in the world and buy a Porsche or Mercedes. Oh wait, even those come in Diesel in Europe. I have no clue why Diesel is more expensive in this country than regular gasoline. It shouldn't be since it takes less to refine Diesel than Gasoline. One thing I noticed in this country is that Diesel Prices don't Jump around as much as regular Gasoline Prices. They are always around $4.00 a Gallon. Sure, you can find it for $3.89 or a bit less and as high as $4.19 but my point is that it doesn't drop $10 cents one day and jump up 40 cents the next like Gasoline sometimes does. Also Diesel engines in General last longer than Gasoline engines. I know someone with a 1981 Golf Diesel with 500k miles on it and it still runs great. Sure, he took care of the car but I don't see too many gasoline engines holding up much past 200k miles without some major work or maintenance. If I would live in Germany or anywhere else in Europe I would most definitely drive a Diesel. Heck, if I could afford a Diesel here I would drive one here but you either can't find a Diesel or if you do they are priced way too high. I think the US keeps most of the popular engine choices they have in Europe from the American Public in fear they would save to much gas and we wouldn't want to cut into the Big Oil Companies profits too much, now would we ;-)

#13 ·
In Belgium, I dare to say, 70% of all cars are diesel engines.
That's because the government has promoted the diesel engines for years and years by keeping the taxes on diesel low (higher on petrol).

THe price for a liter of diesel now is about 1,30 EUR and 1,60 EUR for petrol.

But I'm sure the prices in Finland are even higher :eek:

#14 · (Edited)
In Finland approximately 40% of new cars are diesels.

Diesel costs here 1,45 euros/litre (=2,00$) and petrol 1,55 €/litre (=2,14$) now.

Diesel cars must pay a special "diesel tax" what depends on emissions of the car. My Sally´s diesel tax is 361 € (=498$) per year. This yearly fee must be paid for every diesel car; old and new. Every year.

When you buy a brand new car, the new car´s tax is based on co2-emissions too. Diesels get a little advantage on this, because their emissions are usually lower. Despite of this, new petrol Beetle is cheaper than diesel Beetle; I don´t know why. :confused:

Basic model 1,2 TSI Beetle costs 22 800€ (=31 450$) which includes 4665€ (=6440$) of pure tax.
and Basic 1,6 TDI costs 25 700€ (=35 500$) including 4565€ (=6300$) of pure tax.

I have read that if I drive over 20 000 kms per year, 1,6 TDI Beetle is more economical than 1,2 TSI Beetle.

:cool:

#20 ·
Thanks!

If I can remember right, there was not much wheelspin. I tried to drive carefully ;) Snow just trapped there.

I must remember to clean wheel wells every time, when this happen again (next winter). I don´t want to break my wheel wells, when the weather gets colder and that soft snow turns to hard ice...

Yes, we must pay high taxes about almost everything we buy. That´s the way, how our society works; we have to finance our welfare state somehow. People are used to high taxes.

#17 ·
Great pictures of your Beetle :)

On TSI vs TDI I personally believe petrol engines to be more reliable then diesel. Spare parts on engine and the particle filter is also quite expensive on diesel. Also petrol engine have chains comprared to the Diesel engine which use an standard timing belt.

But the taste is always different. I'm petrol :p

#21 ·
Thanks neighbour! :)

To be honest with you, I dídn´t want to buy 1,2 or 1,4 TSI Beetle.

There´s been quite a lot of problems with "maintenance free" timing chain... Many TSI owners have reported about costly repairs on their engines, even with low kilometers :mad:

Yes, my diesel Bug has timing belt. 210´000 kms is the time to change it. No problem. Also almost all new TSI engines have timing belt again, not chain.

#19 ·
great pictures again! Wow!

I'm going to Denmark and Sweden this summer.
Too bad Finland wasn't able to be fit in my schedule

#30 ·
I know a HUGE chunk does go towards taxes but I doubt that they make "More" money than the Oil companies do, otherwise there wouldn't be a deficit ;-) But I know what you are saying. In Germany almost half of what the Gallon of gas costs is indeed taxes. It amazes me that the cost of gas varies so hugely among countries. We in the US pay an average of $3.75 a gallon of regular. Germany is paying $8.28 a gallon while Venezuela enjoys 13 cents for a gallon of gas.

#31 ·
Here we go again....

Diesel vehicles are more fuel efficient and cheaper to own than gasoline engines. The also pollute the environment less and in a different way than gasoline engines.

One gallon of diesel fuel= 139,200 BTU
One gallon of Gasoline= 125,000 BTU

There is simply more power in diesel fuel than in the same volume of gasoline.

Diesel engines are far sturdier than gasoline engines due to the higher compression ratios in the cylinders. The are normally made of steel where most gasoline engines are made of aluminum. The Achilles heel of the VW TDI engine is the timing belt.

Diesel engines due to their far more substantial construction are inherently noisier than the same size gasoline engine. One way to reduce this noise is to lower the "chatter" of the timing chain by using a timing belt. This is normally done only in cars and smaller diesel engines. Over the road trucks, boats and construction diesels don't have timing belts. Some over the road diesel engines aren't even considered "broken in" until they have at least 200,000 miles on them. Some truck engines have half million mile warranties on their engines.

Considering the price of spark plugs, ignition equipment and all the other nonsense needed for a gasoline engine, it's no wonder why more and more people are buying diesel cars. The newer high mileage timing belts dilute the cost of replacing the timing belt to where it makes sense to go diesel. Sure diesel is 10% more expensive, with their better efficiency they are easily worth it. I drove a Nissan Sentra the other day with the same size engine HP wise as Wifey's TDI and it was a joke. To get that 39 mpg in the Sentra you have to deal with 0-60 of about 18 seconds (we timed it) Our Jetta does it in about 8 seconds.

Pollution wise, if you have ever followed Probie, Michelle's diesel, you know about that black cloud you see when she stomps on it and leaves you in the dust. That's what it is. Dust. It's carbon. The same thing that charcoal is made of. The same stuff that probably powers your electric power companies generators so you can drive your "Clean" Tesla. (Which actually pollutes worse than a gasoline car) Diesels produce less carbon dioxide and less carbon monoxide than gasoline cars.

In the US, most refineries are set up to produce about 50% gasoline per 42 gallon barrel of crude oil. Diesel fuel is also taxed at a higher rate in the US than gasoline is due to it's efficiency (higher BTU content). Greedy politicians don't help either.

I will take my diesel car over a gasser any day of the week. The 40 mpg I get on the highway at 80 mph makes me smile. So does the fact that at 80 mph I am doing less than 2500 rpm.

And don't even get me started on how useless natural gas is as a motor vehicle fuel!

Chuckie Cummins

#35 ·
thanks for sharing! it's quite an eye opener to see how much things cost in other countries.

In California USA, diesel and gas cost about the same. $4 a gallon, which is about 1 dollar per litre...

the US beetle comes in 3 engine versions:
1.8TSI, 2.0TSI, or 2.0TDI.

I paid 19.5k plus 10% tax/fees on my 1.8T with automatic transmission.

#38 ·
1.5. Labor Day cruising with other car enthusiasts :D

Unfortunately the weather was rainy and not so warm, but that did not bother us too much :thup:

Attachments

#39 ·
Little mod... :D

I added New Beetle and aircooled Beetle -scale models on Sally´s parcel shelf. And in the middle, there´s my old faithful Icelandic horse. :heart:

In my opinion, now the image in rear view mirror is quite cool... :thup:

PS. I found nice suitcase to store my rear seat headrests & other stuff!

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.