VW Beetle Forum banner

12 Turbo a.k.a JeFY

15K views 5 replies 1 participant last post by  n8t86 
#1 ·
So I guess this is the right place for this.

2012 Reflex Silver
2.0T 6 speed manual
Base Trubo model with gauge pod

"JeFY" (read my plate and you'll figure out why he's named that) was purchased as a leftover late Feb.2013. I had previously bought a CPO White base turbo bug 2 weeks prior, but it was totaled 4 days/600 miles after I picked it up on my way to vacation in Florida. That thread and pics are here: VWVortex.com - My into for 2 Beetle's

It stayed stock for all of 6 months. I purchased a new complete air ride setup from a fellow member overseas weeks prior to H2Oi 2013.
Airlift Performance series front setup with Airlift double bellow rear bags and koni yellow adjustable rear shocks.
I did the install myself. Took about 5 days total working on it in the evenings. Hardest part was most getting up the nerve to tear apart my brand new car. lol. Everything else was actually just time consuming and most time was spent making sure things were done correctly as I didn't want anything breaking, leaking, rubbing, scraping, popping, etc. I did not cut any holes in the car to run the air lines from the trunk to the bags. If you open the hatch and look below the latch there is a grate with a rubber flap that goes right into the bumper. I ran all my lines thru there and then under the car. Removed the big black pans under the car and attached my air lines via zip ties to lines already run there and then reattached the panels. They cover a lot of the underside so I wasn't too worried about the lines being scraped or cut by debris under the car.

Did a test fit of a wheels from my friend's MKV GTI:

yes they are tiny tires and at this point I did not have a frame notch so it would not sit aired out level because of the frame resting on the passenger side axle. I did have my rear bumpstops still in with those pictures. I ended up cutting them in half to lower the rear some more without sacrificing the ride quality a lot.

I finished everything up about a week prior to leaving for H2Oi and lucky me no leaks! Also had my windows tinted 35% all around. Gloss black vinyl roof and rear valance.
Down at H2Oi 2013:

once back from H2Oi I stopped at a friend's client's house and took these quick pics on my Iphone4:

Then gave the wheels back and riding around on my stock wheels with 15mm spacers front and 8mm spacers rear

Before leaving for H2Oi I had my tank powdercoated red and a pic of my trunk setup:

I then decided it was time to get wheels of my own. Came across a set of OEM 20x9 Bentley Flying Spurs that were already a red/maroon color but needed refinished.

The weather was nice for a few days and I just couldn't resist trying them on:

And then winter came:

See less See more
#3 ·
Got the wheels back from the refinisher:

OEM Bentley 20x9 et41
235/30/20 Hancook Ventus V12
8mm spacer up front (I think), no spacer out back
color is called Crazy Red from Prismatic Powders

Jason Diem @ 4EverKustoms did all the work on these.

I sent him poorly powdered slightly curbed wheels with bald tiny tires and he turned them around to look like this! Stripped them down, polished them up, taped them off, powder coated, clear coated, purchased tires, mounted, balanced and finish polished.

#6 ·
Before Waterfest I decided to look into an issue I've had since day 1 install on the rear. Everyone seems to be able to tuck the rear wheels like crazy running the same setup I have. SO I decided to remove the bumpstop completely to see if that was truly what was holding me up from going lower. SURPRISE! It totally was.

This pic shows the difference between where it sat with my already modified bumpstop versus no bumpstop. Fully aired out the top pic shows the passenger rear wheel with my bumpstop and the bottom pic shows the driver rear with no bumpstop.

So ultimately I decided to trim more of the bumpstops. What I ended up with was just enough bumpstop to keep my dust shields on.
At Waterfest 20 SPM contacted me to be in their booth. I ended up going both days and got the rest of the SPM exhaust to be a full turbo back! Street down pipe (has a catalytic converter) with resonator to the street catback already installed.

Should have the full turbo back exhaust on for this weekend at VAG Fair!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.