VortxBug ~ 01 VortexBug 2.O - Page 3 - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > 1998-2011 New Beetle > Photos: New Beetles

Photos: New Beetles The place to post shots of your ride. Be sure to read the rules of this forum before posting.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2012, 03:32 PM
I love my Butterkup baby!

Car: 2002 1.8T Color Concept Double Yellow New Beetle

Your beetle is STUNNING

Peace, Love, & Volkswagen

* Katie + Butterkup!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2012, 04:14 PM

Car: 2001 Beetle 1.8T

So clean!
Old 07-29-2015, 05:25 AM

Car: 2slow vortex blue
Smile

Another update after... 3ish years
Did a little bit here and there.
The antenna base broke so replaced with a china-made oem shark fin antenna. (no pic yet)
Replaced light swtich to china-made oem euro switch
Replaced the steering wheels to the one with turbo s inserts
Installed the diesel geek short shifter
Replaced the worn out shift knob to black forest industry knob
Replaced the deck with a Kenwood BT858U
Added an aluminum plate on the carpet to cover up the hole in it
Added trim rings to the a/c controls
Added a wide angle rear view mirror from fob schrank japan
Replaced the grab handle with a new curved aluminum cover without cutting out the existing one
(I found this on eBay and met up with the seller, Glen (awesome friendly guy), locally. I have to say these are very impressive replacement handle covers. Fitting might not be 100% perfect, but I'd say it's a high 95%!!)

Still have a set of JOM coilovers and Silver Project Camber plates waiting to be installed.

It's pretty much the slowest and looks a little out dated, but just can't give it up you know.

sorry for cellphone quality pic
Attached Images/Files

Last edited by VortxBug; 07-29-2015 at 07:25 AM..

Old 07-29-2015, 05:35 AM
Member Sponsor

Car: 2000 Beetle 3.2 24v

Old 07-29-2015, 08:03 AM
TOD9 May 5-7 2017

Car: Cup- y2k Blk nB GLS 1.8t / Chino: 2013 Beetle 2.5
Garage

Looking good.
Don't be a stranger. Post often. Welcome back
Old 07-29-2015, 04:42 PM
Black Velvet

Car: 2007 New Beetle 2.5. L / 2017 Beetle R-Line 2.0t SEL
Garage

I noticed you got the Audi TT pedal set I got in my bug as well. It compliments the inside real well.
Attached Images/Files

Old 07-29-2015, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMG View Post
I love your beast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabY2k View Post
Looking good.
Don't be a stranger. Post often. Welcome back
I will try to come back more often

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbeetle1978 View Post
I noticed you got the Audi TT pedal set I got in my bug as well. It compliments the inside real well.
Yeah they spice things up for sure
I was actually debating whether to get the ones off of a 20th anniversary gti or the tt
But yah glad I got them!
Old 07-29-2015, 08:14 PM
Black Velvet

Car: 2007 New Beetle 2.5. L / 2017 Beetle R-Line 2.0t SEL
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by VortxBug View Post
I love your beast!

I will try to come back more often

Yeah they spice things up for sure
I was actually debating whether to get the ones off of a 20th anniversary gti or the tt
But yah glad I got them!
I know what you mean I've started out with the 20th anniversary pedals for about a year, but then I switched to the TT pedals and I'm glad that I did because it gives it a much more classier look.
Old 08-02-2015, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbeetle1978 View Post
I know what you mean I've started out with the 20th anniversary pedals for about a year, but then I switched to the TT pedals and I'm glad that I did because it gives it a much more classier look.
haha, but I am tempted to go for the 20th look now to match with all the dots on the steering wheel and handles.
Old 08-02-2015, 03:26 AM

So... I finally took some pictures of the antenna. (Sorry for how dirty she is with tree sap and such because we have a restriction on water usage going on.) It fits perfect, but the reception for AM sucks.(but it doesn't affect me cause most station i listen to are FMs). Not sure about how the FM of stock stereo is, but it works fine for an aftermarket one since you need to install a FM reception booster behind the unit anyway. And then pictures of the JOM coilovers waiting to go on. I am still waiting for the camber plates to get here from Poland. to be updated soon.
Attached Images/Files

Last edited by VortxBug; 08-02-2015 at 03:37 AM..
Old 08-02-2015, 08:05 PM
Moderating fool ™

Car: 2003 GLS Platinum Gray TDI
Garage

Looking good love that color. How difficult was it to install the diesel geek short shifter?

Official Orgersaurus Decals | Vinyl Chimp Custom Decals
Old 08-02-2015, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeebug View Post
Looking good love that color. How difficult was it to install the diesel geek short shifter?
Hey thanks!
The procedure is very straight forward, but it's quite hard to reach when tightening the bolts. You'll need to remove the battery and push things out of the way. Took me about an hour to have it installed and adjusted a few times. The video from their website helps a lot. (link)
Old 08-12-2015, 04:37 AM

So everything is in the car, (Coilovers, camber plates, and front sway end links)
Didn't put the rear sway bar on yet. Need to test out the ground clearance as roads in Vancouver is very bumpy.
I have to say so far so good for the JOM coilovers. It's actually a little more forgiving than the eibach springs with stock shocks I had before. Rear was winded all the way down and there's still room to go lower up front. Too bad my wheels are too far out and the tires rubbed up front, so it's going to stay like this for now. Front is now 1/4" lower than eibach and rear is approx. 1" lower. I will update again after some real world testing.
Attached Images/Files

Last edited by VortxBug; 08-12-2015 at 05:41 AM..
Old 08-15-2015, 05:43 AM

So after 2 days of driving, these coilovers are overall very well balanced IMO. The stiffness is there while not too harsh of a ride even on the more bumpy repair patches of pavement. You can feel a lot of the road, but I am guessing the camber plates transferred most of it. The only thing I wish I did were to add those polyurethane spring isolators for the coils because the front camber plates up top made it less flexible and I could hear the spring hopping on the seat every time I make a turn at slower speed such as backing up in to a spot. The front camber were set to -0.8 and the tire just cleared the fender nicely, so I would suggest it to anyone with wider wheels (225/40/18 on 18x8 et 32). The rear were set to -1.3. Both front and rear are in spec. The back doesn't have any problem at all, but the spring isolators would probably absorb some vibrations. The front end links are not short enough, in fact they are actually longer than the oem and i can hear the swaybar rub as I was slowly rolling on to the driveway.

I got the rear sway bar, but ended up sitting in the garage. There wasn't a lot of roll and it's already a slow car, so probably better to save some weight than overkilling.

I have some footage of when I was driving on a bridge filled with repairs. I will try to upload them soon.

Still can't wash my car yet...
Attached Images/Files

Last edited by VortxBug; 08-15-2015 at 09:38 AM..
Old 08-16-2015, 04:07 AM

So there are the videos, I am not sure if you can tell much from them, but just wanted to show it's not much bumpier than the setup i had before even on some of the worst roads and highways we have here in Vancouver. Keep in mind that the camera is located right in front of the rear view mirror, so the movement up there is much more noticeable.

https://youtu.be/-RKda_B9cV4

https://youtu.be/nWz9bfjKvj4
Old 08-16-2015, 06:54 AM

I just did a slow test drive in a parking lot with lot of slopes to see if anything came loose or some minor rubbing here and there. As I was pulling in to a spot with my steering turned all the way, I heard something on my right wheel that's rubbing and caused the entire car to vibrate. It ended up to be the sway bar end links that's causing the problem. The end links came with the sale, but wasn't part of the coilover kit. The brushing on the end links are way too soft and wasn't holding the sway bar in position, which led to the sway bar rubbing against the drive shaft when I steered all the way to one end at a slope.
Here's that it looks like. You should be able to see the bottom bolt at its original position and see how much of an angle the sway bar pulled the end links and how much the rubber brushing is being compressed.
I emailed the seller and will see what they can do about it. In the mean time, the stock ones are going back on. Anyone else encountered this problem before?

edit: thinking back they were longer than the stock end links, maybe that's why they are pushing the sway bar back so much that it will rub.
Attached Images/Files

Last edited by VortxBug; 08-16-2015 at 09:09 AM..
Old 08-17-2015, 10:39 AM

Car: 2000 2ltr Beetle

I had the same issue when I lowered my 2.0. I tried the adjustable drop links but as you say these are longer than the standard ones which causes the antiroll/ sway bar 'hoop' to sit to high causing it to rub. They do an aftermarket sway bar with larger hoops to solve the issue when lowering it past 50mm I believe. I put stock drop links back on and raised the coilovers slightly and thankfully the issue hasn't come back. Mine only did it on full lock and if I hit a bump but as I said no issues since putting the stock ones back on.
Old 08-17-2015, 06:16 PM

Car: 2002 NB 2.0, Mk4 GTI 1.8t, Mk3 GTI VR6

I forget which company it is (maybe H&R) but they make a sway bar that goes under the axle instead of over. I had the same problem when I lowered my mk4. It's a pain to install though since you have to drop the subframe.
Old 08-18-2015, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by little pips View Post
I had the same issue when I lowered my 2.0. I tried the adjustable drop links but as you say these are longer than the standard ones which causes the antiroll/ sway bar 'hoop' to sit to high causing it to rub. They do an aftermarket sway bar with larger hoops to solve the issue when lowering it past 50mm I believe. I put stock drop links back on and raised the coilovers slightly and thankfully the issue hasn't come back. Mine only did it on full lock and if I hit a bump but as I said no issues since putting the stock ones back on.
I am planning to try to cut it shorter to see if it's any better. If not then I will raise it back up, but then I didn't lower it that much to begin with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacolopez View Post
I forget which company it is (maybe H&R) but they make a sway bar that goes under the axle instead of over. I had the same problem when I lowered my mk4. It's a pain to install though since you have to drop the subframe.
Yah, probably not going to get a new front sway with everything in place already. Maybe until the shocks are blown.
Old 08-20-2015, 03:45 AM

So after a couple of days with the stock end links, there's no more rubbing.
I asked the shop for advice and they said shortening the end links might not be a good idea as the cut end might not be perfectly straight and align with the lock nut, so there might be a chance that it won't lock or come loose after a while.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Include me on the map?
Select this if you would like to show your location on the world map of NewBeetle.org members. City, state/province, country, and zip (for USA members) must also be filled in.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.