keys, keys and more key problems! - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > Discussion - Technical > Questions, Issues, Concerns, or Problems with the New Beetle

Questions, Issues, Concerns, or Problems with the New Beetle General discussion of New Beetle features, problems, and issues.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2006, 07:33 PM
Ragtops can be fun!

Car: 2003 New Beetle Convertible
Default keys, keys and more key problems!

OK.. so I called the dealer in Durham today and asked about a secondary key for my 98. I specifically said it does not have an immobilizer. He asked if I wanted a switchblade, and I said well can I not get the master key with keychain FOB and he said they only make the valet keys ($60) and that it won't open the trunk -- somehow I think he's wrong here, because my car works only on the groove of the key and not the immobilizer chip but hey, he's the dealer.

So here is what I was quoted for my car: $65 for the switch blade itself, cut. $95 to program the FOB. WHAT THE HECK?

The programming of the FOB is simple, just put one key in ignition, another key in door lock, hold lock button on new fob for like 3 seconds till car beeps and its done, right?

Can someone guide me in the right direction? I don't know if I want another switchblade, because I can tell the 98 and 02 keys apart right now. If I get the valet style key, is it guaranteed to not open the trunk (thus making it useless). Or would I do best to buy a blank 99 switchblade on ebay, take it to the dealer (just the top) and have it cut for the car, then program it myself?

The other question I have reguarding programming is that my 98's driver door lock um doesn't work 98% of the time. The passenger side lock works fine, and I use that to lock/unlock the car. Can I program the key from the passenger side door lock, or does it HAVE to be done from the driver's side (this will affect which key I buy because I do not want to replace the door lock module right now!!!)
Cara: 1999 Techno Blue TDI 5spd
Stinky: 2000 Cyber Green TDI 5spd
----gone, but not forgotten
Charlie: 2002 Cyber Green 2.0 "retro" 5spd (traded)
Marley: 1998 Black 2.0 5spd ratrod (now Buckwheat/Jerry O)
Peaches/Patches: 1998 Black/Silver two-tone TDI 5spd (total loss)
Phoenix: 2003 Uni Red TDI 5-speed swap (sold)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2006, 07:37 PM
Ragtops can be fun!

It gets weirder!! I called Leith VW (arguable much better service) and he said $75 for a 98 and the key will work the doors and the trunk. he said that 98s can't have switchblade keys.

So.... those who have delt with this before me: what do you say?

he also said the "banjo" remote is $150 for the 98 and it was "outrageous" to cost that much -- he has some sense!!
Old 10-16-2006, 07:45 PM
Ragtops can be fun!

The dealer I bought my 02 from says $86 for the regular key and that I could get a switchblade but it would cost more.

I don't know who to believe anymore.
Old 10-16-2006, 09:15 PM

Car: 2000 Techno Blue 1.8T GLX

Why not get one off ebay, program it yourself and get the dealer to cut it for 15-20 bucks.
Old 10-16-2006, 11:27 PM
←Blue or Purple?

Car: '02 1.8T GLS Marlin Blue

Ebay, not a good idea, while some have had success with it. I didn't. fortunetley the purchase was done through an auto broker and they fit the bill.

Basically they bought a key off of ebay and sent it to me. I wnt to dealership to have it cut. and they said it wasn't a VW key. It was a blank that was cut exactly the same but not coded for VW. It was a SAAB blank in a VW remote. Needless to say VW happily charged the Auto broker $186 for a brand new remote. But what I hated about the whole ordeal was. Instead of getting a brand new remote they gave me a new blank and swapped out the old remote! So I got an old remoteworn with a new blank. :P I couldn't complain to much wasn't my money and I got my dream car

Just make sure you have a reputable seller and get a reference from the .ord from ppl that have had sucess with Ebay. It's a costly mistake if your paying the bill.
Old 10-16-2006, 11:40 PM
I are there be you aint

Car: ~ Natasha ~ 2003 Black NB GLS TDI

$95 to program the FOB = the going rate your dealer charges for 1 hour of labor.

I wish I could get off for only $160. My dealer quoted me $350 for a new key + fob cut and programmed.

2003 NB GLS TDI Black ~ natasha ~ The bitchy angry bug

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuggBug
You know that in China they just call it food though
Old 10-17-2006, 12:57 AM
Ragtops can be fun!

i really want a non-switchblade key. flow vw said they can copy a 98s key because there is no immobilizer. $62. eBay is too iffy AND I do not know if a switchblade really works on a 98 w/ FOB...what is the point if the FOB don't work??
Old 10-17-2006, 01:10 AM
Hermes orange...

Car: 2007 Jetta 2.5L

I might be dumb but...if the 98 key is the key itself with no remote, why not just take it to Ace Hardware and get a copy? That's what I did with my old Chevy. Unless you want the VW part on it...

Old 10-17-2006, 01:14 AM
Member Sponsor

Car: Ex 1999 Beetle GLS Owner/2005 Honda Pilot/2008 Acura TSX

You can go to www.keylessride.com for your key. I bought my spare off eBay and had absolutley no problems. Riverside VW in SoCal even cut it for me at no charge. A 98 key is only available in the banjo style, as it does not conform to the 99-01 style. When talking keys, I have found the dealers don't know jack, till they have the actual key in hand.
Old 10-17-2006, 01:19 AM
Member Sponsor

Car: Ex 1999 Beetle GLS Owner/2005 Honda Pilot/2008 Acura TSX

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenBug
I might be dumb but...if the 98 key is the key itself with no remote, why not just take it to Ace Hardware and get a copy? That's what I did with my old Chevy. Unless you want the VW part on it...
Ace hardware neither sells the key blanks for VW's nor do they have the proper cutting equipment to cut the key. Volkswagen dealers were required to purchase a unique key cutting machine that very few outside vendors have, as it is very expensive.
Old 10-17-2006, 03:19 AM

I had a key copied at a locksmith shop. I think they may
have had the blanks also, but not sure. I had switchblade
blank off ebay, '99 no immobulizer. (guy ahead of me had
to fill out registration (sks?) papers or something)

Like others have said, I guess the '98's have the banjo
remote, not switchblade.

Do you have a full key now, or only the restricted key
(no hatch or glovebox)? Even just copying, you'ld need
a full key to copy from. If you don't have that, sounds
like the stealer has you by the .

Lowell
Old 10-17-2006, 12:56 PM
Ragtops can be fun!

I have a full key, and one dealer (the one whose parts guy is in our vw club) said he can copy my master key to another master for $62 -- best deal so far. The switchblade would be a somewhat nice upgrade, if i could get it, I really just wanted to find out if I could get a switchblade and if not, what is so difference between the valet and the master, since they're really the same freaking key. However unlike the bentley, my master does not have the LED light in it! But it works the trunk. The dealers I spoke with were going to order one by VIN, only Flow has a copy machine that can copy pre-99 keys, which I thought was rather spiffy.

ACE couldn't copy the key to my 1973 VW, I highly highly doubt they can copy the key to my 1998 VW

Off to Winston-Salem I go!
Old 10-17-2006, 03:20 PM
5/23/10 <3

Car: 1999 Techno Blue GL 2.0 5-speed (RIP), 1984 Jetta GL TD, 2003 20th GTI

Yeah...the 98's only have the banjo style, not the switchblade. They switched to the switchblade for '99.

I think there is only a difference between valet and master keys when there is an immobilizer. I don't have that and when I first got my car, I only had a switchblade...didn't get a second key with my car, like you're supposed. I feel your pain with the expenses. We couldnt believe how much it was going to cost just to cut a new valet key. Finally got them to give us one since I never got another key, and thats part of the deal. I didn't like the switchblade at first and they insisted the valey key wouldn't work everything. But lo and behold, it locked up everything and worked the trunk too.
VW dealerships aren't great to begin with...they seem to be bad when it comes to keys too. It took them a few different times of going to them for them to finally agree if I had an immobilizer or not...one time they said I did, then they said I didn't, then they said I did...finally they were like "no, the '99s don't have one!" ugh.

VW dealerships are such a pain...good luck kc...especially on your trip to Winston-Salem!
The money saver:2001 Jetta TDI GL. 132k. Dead auto, swapped to 3 pedals. Hubby's DD and our trip car
Old 10-17-2006, 03:25 PM
Ragtops can be fun!

on the bright side i can always tell the 98 and 2002's keys apart
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.