Problem reading OBD Code - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > Discussion - Technical > Questions, Issues, Concerns, or Problems with the New Beetle

Questions, Issues, Concerns, or Problems with the New Beetle General discussion of New Beetle features, problems, and issues.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2005, 05:12 AM

Car: 99 GLS
Default Problem reading OBD Code

I have a 99 GLS with ~77K miles. The CEL is on, but I am unable to read the code from the OBDII port. After plugging the scan tool in, nothing appears on the screen.

My code scanner is known good, since I can read codes from my Nissan with no problems.

I have checked the fuses mentioned in the Bentley manual.

This is strange because I was able to read the code a few months ago (~June) to diagnose a misfire. When the car was reinspected in July, the inspector was unable to read the code.

This is a vexing problem; the CEL is on, but I have no way to read it! The engine runs smooth, and the gas mileage has not suffered, so I suspect that it something like a minor vacuum leak.

Can anyone offer additional guidance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2005, 01:18 PM
Beetle Cup racer

Car: New Beetle turbo Sport 2002

Some generic OBD readers Do not read all fault codes, try the VAG COM that one reads all there is to read. Also bear in mind that some OBD cannot stablish a good link with the ECU.

Try another just to check
Old 10-17-2005, 07:01 PM

The OBD reader I have been using was the same reader I used to successfully get the code in the past. I have also used a different reader (known good) with no success.
Old 10-18-2005, 06:42 AM
180 Degrees out of faze

Car: 98 TDI NB.

Do you have a stock or aftermarket radio? If aftermarket radio, try unplugging it. Then try and read the codes.
Old 10-19-2005, 01:47 PM

The radio is the stock VW model.
Old 10-22-2005, 03:05 PM
beetle driver for life

Car: 2000 Reflex Yellow GLS 1.8T

Hey Jasonb99 I am having exactly the same problem. What two fuses did the Bently manual tell you to check and what were you to check for. And Porkchop you say if the port is bad, what do you mean by "the port". Are you talking about only the connecter on the dash end or are you talking about were it plugs into the ECU. How do we check to see if the port is bad?
Thanks Marcus H.
09 ZX6R Candy Blue
Old 11-05-2005, 01:42 PM

Default Found the Problem

Well, I reluctantly went to the dealer for a diagnosis. It turns out one of the fuses was no good. Now the port reads fine.

I'm disappointed with myself, since I had looked at all the fuses and saw nothing wrong. The only thing I didn't to was to use a multimeter to check continuity.

Hope this helps someone else! Jason
Old 10-26-2006, 08:32 AM
1999 Yellow 1.8T

Car: 1999 Beetle Turbo

hey jasonnb99 do you know which fuse it was ????
Old 10-26-2006, 02:01 PM

Default Problem reading OBDII codes

Jason
I have recently tried 2 generic OBDII tools to find out about my 2001VW 1.8T.
Neither of them read the codes and I had to return them. Now I'm looking for a VAG-COM. My biggest problem is that I have a MAC laptop and I need a Windows PC in able to use the VAG-COM---so I need to get a used Windows PC in addition---but HEY. My Beetle is worth the cost, plus the ability to skirt around the Stealerships gives me great pleasure.
Sam Gaylord
Old 10-26-2006, 11:38 PM

Sorry, I don't remember exactly what fuse it was. If you have a multimeter, you can easily check the fuses involved with the engine controller.
Old 10-27-2006, 06:27 AM
1999 Yellow 1.8T

darn, cuz im having the same problem, I checked all the engine control fuses today, but it was kinda of late I'll give it a more detailed look tomorrow and hoping its nothing bad because I've had lots of electrical problems with this bug
Old 10-30-2006, 03:57 AM
beetle driver for life

Ok Manny I'm an idiot its already here and I already replied on it once so lets see if we can figure this one out. Lets list all the things that have gone wrong with our cars and see if any of them are common with the OBD II port not working. Problems I have had yelojkt are as follows
1. Check engine light on.
2. OBD II port not communicating with generic scanner tool or VAG-COM. I use the Actron OBDII PocketScan model #CP9125 to read and erase codes, until the day it quit working on my bug. I still have the scanner and I just checked my wife's bug; the scanner read NO CODES. I went straight over my car and checked it and it said FAIL.
3. Sometimes the lights to the for the heating and ventilation control unit do not come on when I turn the lights on but if I bump that panel gently they come on. This only happens about twice a year.
4. My trunk light flickers on my sometimes when I have the hatch open. It only flickers a couple times then stays on.
4. The S180 fuse above the battery that fuses the single speed coolent fan melted down and almost caught on fire.
5. My stereo will not accept my safe code now it just keeps going back to safe mode. I have been able to put my safe code into my stereo and unlock it in the past even though the scan tool could not link up.
Old 10-30-2006, 04:40 AM
beetle driver for life

Manny what were some of your electrial problems.
Old 10-30-2006, 04:55 AM
1999 Yellow 1.8T

1. I have the Airbag light on it came on like 4 months after I bought it, check engine light came on when cleaned the k&n filter but after couple days it went off.
2.the port was working fine the only scanner I've ever used was an autozone scanner and the codes that I was getting were for the vacumm hoses, I replaced those with silicone hoses from ECS and erased the problem one last time with autozone and problem fixed, light never came on until this last time I cleaned the filter.
3. S180 fuse also blown big time + two ignition switches in less than 4 months, for the s180 I just went around it and bought a fuse block.
4. on the stereo side I have an after market LCD screen, I have a carputer set up on the car and what I have noticed it that sometimes like 2 or 3 times a month when I turn the key the stereo does not turn on, like if not power going to it, all I do it turn key off and on and it gets activated again.
5. I also have an after market alarm compustar, installed by a proffesional, he really good installed the turbo function on it and everything.

All my lights in the cluster and everything seem to be fine, I actually went and checked the truck one because I might of never noticed it, but no it turns on just fine, I tried it like 3 times.

now the other thing that I have intalled in the car is gauges for the power and lighting installation I followed the instructions from draft designs booklet pretty up front and simple, I checked all fuses for Continuity, I took the whole front panels off so I can trace to see if the alarm guy tapped into any of the wires that had to do anything with the reader, but I couldn't find anything that was tapped into.

its pretty weird man, I've called dealer couple times because to me its weird that two ignition switches in less than 4 months and when I take them out they are fried like it gets so hot I dont know, I did have to replace my battery two weeks ago, I dont know if it was the original or not, but I was having problems with it because I installed a sound system for the computer, so I just went ahead and got an optima yellow, no problems starting after that, I did notice that the battery leaked I cleaned it all off when I put the new one. I'll post a pick later...

but that all If I remember something I post it here too
Old 10-30-2006, 04:58 AM
1999 Yellow 1.8T

Default s180 fuse picture

picture
Attached Images/Files

Old 10-30-2006, 05:07 AM
1999 Yellow 1.8T

well electrical problems that I had was that my ac was not working, and since it happened when the alarm was put in, I though they messed with something, also my second ignition switch went out between that time, so it all piled up, plus the problems that I was encountering with the computer install, so I've been trying to sort everything out, so far soo good

I also installed HID lights that I bought from an .org'er this last thrusday they look awsome, I still have to take the panels apart so I can route cables nice and neatly you know up to my expectations
Old 10-30-2006, 05:58 AM
beetle driver for life

I had forgotten but my radio was doing the same thing about six months ago it would not come on when I started the car then when I would restart it it would come on. That pic of the blown S180 looked just like mine almost the exact same way I'll post a pic later.
Old 10-30-2006, 10:42 PM
beetle driver for life

I checked everyone of my fuses by sight last night and they all lokked good. None of them were even discolered like they had gotten warm.
Old 11-01-2006, 05:39 AM
beetle driver for life

Yellow1.8T any luck with talking to your ecu?
Old 11-01-2006, 07:14 AM
1999 Yellow 1.8T

hey marcus, no man no luck, I actually been trying ti deciffer the wiring diagrams on the bentley on the weekend im gonna go to a friends house, he's studying to be an electrical engineer so I hope he can help me out on this, it just weird, have you tried talking to any of the guys at the dealer ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.