steering rack replacement - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > Discussion - Technical > Questions, Issues, Concerns, or Problems with the New Beetle

Questions, Issues, Concerns, or Problems with the New Beetle General discussion of New Beetle features, problems, and issues.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2006, 01:24 AM

Car: 1998 2L Black
Default steering rack replacement

Hi,

I'm a newbie, had a look but can not find a how to!! Want to replace the power steering rack on a 98 new beetle ( well dont want to have to Any help greatly received. I have the VW NB Service manual which shows me an exploded picture of the rack and helpfully tells me that no internal parts are user servicable so replace the rack but it fails to describe this task, unless of course the section for this is not in the steering chapter!

Nij
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2006, 06:09 AM
Super Moderator

Car: 2002 New Beetle 1.8T GLX

unhappybug, I am sending this thread to a better forum, for specific traffic for your issue. Good luck to you, and Welcome to the Org!
2005 NBC 1.8T- Tornado Red
2006 Passat 2.0T- Blue Graphite
2003 NB Turbo S - UniRed
2005 V6 Touareg V6 - Campanella White
Currently:
2002 NB GLX 1.8T - White Paint
Old 11-09-2006, 01:12 PM
Administrator

Car: 2000 GLX Tekno-Blue/Grey 1.8t 5-spd

You'll probably want to pull a wheel, maybe both. Use jackstands, I think you'll need to lower the subframe a bit to wiggle it out.

There's 4 bolts holding the rack to the subframe; .. And ... now that you mention it... I realize I have no idea how the power steering pump comes into the picture. :/

Anyway...
IMO: 2 jackstands on the front, remove both wheels, leave suspension attached, remove the rear engine mount, I can't think of which bolts hold the subframe up, but I don't think you'll need to disconnect the control arms. I also wonder if the stock sway bar is going to be in the way.

Sorry, not so much a how-to as a what I think may be involved... Again, I'm not sure how the power steering plays into things, you might need to bench bleed the rack or something....
Old 11-12-2006, 10:55 PM
Kimberlee

Car: 05 Turbo Beetle Convertible

UnHappyBug..why are you replacing the power steering rack? I was just wondering because I have a 05' 1.8T and I had to have mine replaced about 2 weeks ago.
Old 11-12-2006, 11:15 PM
Goon Squad Atheist

Car: 1995 Subaru BK

Do you have the bently manual? The Hayne's is reported to be shyte...confirmed by my observations when browsing through the book.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.