Both headlight low beams died at the same time. What gives? - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > Discussion - Technical > Questions, Issues, Concerns, or Problems with the New Beetle

Questions, Issues, Concerns, or Problems with the New Beetle General discussion of New Beetle features, problems, and issues.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2006, 05:49 AM

Car: 2000 Silver 1.8t
Default Both headlight low beams died at the same time. What gives?

Anybody know if a bad relay could prevent the low beams/DRL's from working? It just seems odd that both bulbs would go at exactly the same time.

The bulb fillaments appear intact, but I can' be sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2006, 06:58 AM
Faster Than Katrina

Car: 01 Sport

That's just Karma .... for some reason your car didn't want to be on the road that night.

Look for the DRL Disable thread, maybe on old forum. There is a pin you need to bend down in the headlight switch harness or a relay to modify to get the DRL off.

We have determined that SilverStars last about 6 months with DRL and 7-9 months without, the Cheap asian made H1 "Upgrade/Ebay Bulbs" last from 2 weeks to infinite, I use them in the high beam position. The regular Sylvania H1's that cost about $4 seem to last from 2-5 years ... that might be why yours both went out ... old. Mine usually blow out within 2 weeks of one another.
Old 11-16-2006, 09:51 AM
#1 Auntie

CA, USA
Car: Former owner of Bugzzi ('99 White GLS), new owner of '10 Civic EX

My lights once did the same exact thing. I had to drive home with the high beams on to see. When I took it in the next day (I thought there was something wrong), my mechanic said it was sheer coincidence that they went out the same night. They've never done it again!

If you ask for more patience do you think you'll simply get more patience?
No. You'll get an opportunity to be patient.
Old 11-16-2006, 01:05 PM
Cherchez la coeur...

Car: Oso - a black 99 GLS TDI

Fuse?
Old 11-16-2006, 05:57 PM
Faster Than Katrina

Since you said the filiment is intact, I will assume you removed the bulbs and replaced them ... the low beam / DRL bilbs are the ones behind the glass lens ... if you are looking into your headlight at those bulbs ... those are the highbeams. So ... there have been problems with wiring harnesses burning up in our cars when a higher wattage bulb has been installed. That could cause them both to go out, but you would notice it when changing bulbs, other than that the switch on the dash is the next likely thing. Someone posted about the switch being a problem in the last two weeks ... first time I had heard it.
Old 11-16-2006, 06:13 PM
Super Moderator

Car: 2002 New Beetle 1.8T GLX

Mine died within one day of each other. Fixed one, and the next day, fixed the other. I think it's just karma, or coincidence.
2005 NBC 1.8T- Tornado Red
2006 Passat 2.0T- Blue Graphite
2003 NB Turbo S - UniRed
2005 V6 Touareg V6 - Campanella White
Currently:
2002 NB GLX 1.8T - White Paint
Old 11-16-2006, 06:25 PM

Thanks for all the quick responses!

And thanks to SilverSportNOLA for pointing out that I was mistakenly looking at the high beam filaments thinking my bulbs were ok.

I'll grab some new bulbs today and hope it was just a strange coincidence - I won't pay the extra bucks for SilverStars this time. Those bulbs were only 5 months old.
Old 11-16-2006, 06:53 PM
Super Moderator

Car: 2002 New Beetle 1.8T GLX

If your headlights keep going out, check to see if moisture is building up inside the housing. Look at the seals. This will kill bulbs.
Old 11-16-2006, 08:02 PM

Will do - Thanks
Old 11-16-2006, 08:07 PM
Faster Than Katrina

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnyed
If your headlights keep going out, check to see if moisture is building up inside the housing. Look at the seals. This will kill bulbs.
True ... one of the plastic back covers on mine had a hole it it I had to fill ... don't think it got a lot of moisture but did it for PM.
Old 11-17-2006, 06:55 AM

Two new bulbs did the trick. Thanks all.

I still can't believe both went out at exactly the same time after only 5 months.
Old 11-18-2006, 08:15 PM
Where is home ....

Car: 2003.5 GLS BLCC (Zoomer)

One of my stock bulbs went out after 3 years. Replaced it with SilverStar blue colored lights ... went out after a short bit. 5 - 6 months ... wont be buying those again. I now have one headlight with high beams .. and the other headlight is working with NO highbeams. *cry*
Old 11-20-2006, 10:00 PM
Shadow's human

Car: 2004 NBC 1.8T

Both my original low beams went out within a day of each other after 3 years. Just like y2k the filiments looked fine so I thought fuse. Then found that there's a fuse for each side and both were good. Never had a car with so many fuses. Changed bulbs and all was good.
Old 11-21-2006, 04:09 PM
dunno513

Car: 06 TDI NB w/DSG

When one bulb dies, the other gets a boost in voltage and amps so, It's kind of like old folks where one dies and the other dies of the stress from the loss.

OK.. harsh comparison, but you get the gist.

When one goes out, I alway replace both, keeping the working one as a spare, then when one dies again, its replaced by the used one. This way there is never a new bulb and an old bulb working at the same time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.