Best year, fewest problems - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > Discussion - Technical > Questions, Issues, Concerns, or Problems with the New Beetle

Questions, Issues, Concerns, or Problems with the New Beetle General discussion of New Beetle features, problems, and issues.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2007, 04:48 AM

Default Best year, fewest problems

I have been looking at the New Beetle for years. I've heard good and bad about certain model years, styles, etc. What I'm looking for, I guess, is first-hand opinions, facts (links to reviews), from actual owners. I would just like to know what you feel is the best year, style, options, etc...

I don't buy new cars, and, frankly, can't afford them. My range is currently 2004-2006, and I'm quite fond of the convertibles.

Thank you for your help,
MacGirl
FL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2007, 05:43 AM
Faster Than Katrina

Car: 01 Sport

Good luck with your search. I have had few problems with my 01, but the dealer has not seen it in a long time .... keep it away from them for the simple stuff so they don't mess up the important stuff while they are breaking ... I mean fixing ... the simple stuff.
Old 01-04-2007, 02:44 PM

OH, USA
Car: 03 GTI

I would say that if you go with a 2001 or newer you are more likely to get a relatively trouble-free car. Depending on the mileage you could be looking at some fairly expensive services. At 60K VW "gurus" recommend a waterpump, timing belt, tensioner and roller replacement. The waterpumps have a plastic impellor that often breaks up. Power window switches, mirror adjustment knobs, etc. tend to break easily. Rear brakes don't last very long. Brake light switches, window regulators are under a special extended warranty from VW. In the convertible I would recommend getting a manual top model if you can live w/o other options--I've heard way too many stories of power top and window drop problems and once you are out of warranty those are extremely expensive (recent thread about $2300 to replace hydraulic pump)!
Old 01-04-2007, 07:23 PM
Ragtops can be fun!

Car: 2003 New Beetle Convertible

my second-hand 1998: lots of dealer-fixed issues, a coolant system (radiator, hoses and some kind of flange), starter, battery, power windows switches paid for out of pocket by the first owner...car lived 208,000 before the shifter linkage broke and I bought it (then I hydrolocked, we think, and blew the head gasket on the motor at 210,000).

My 2002 that I bought with 9,000 miles in 2004 has 107,000 on it today and has been pretty flawless... I had a coolant tempature sensor fail at 63,000 miles and that was really the only factory-defect it's had, unless you count the dealer-initiated brake light fiasco, which I ultimately fixed myself with some grease and a pair of pilars (bad ground in the bulb socket). I did crack my oil pan on the 02, and replaced it out of pocket for $120 and 2 days of my time (most of that time spent trying to find a 10mm swivel socket).

Overall, pretty good cars in my humbled opinion.
Cara: 1999 Techno Blue TDI 5spd
Stinky: 2000 Cyber Green TDI 5spd
----gone, but not forgotten
Charlie: 2002 Cyber Green 2.0 "retro" 5spd (traded)
Marley: 1998 Black 2.0 5spd ratrod (now Buckwheat/Jerry O)
Peaches/Patches: 1998 Black/Silver two-tone TDI 5spd (total loss)
Phoenix: 2003 Uni Red TDI 5-speed swap (sold)
Old 01-04-2007, 07:41 PM
Custom User Title, go!

Car: 2008.5 Mazdaspeed3

Just for the record, my 2000 w/ 66,000 miles has had hardly any problems (either major or minor), even though a lot of people say 98-00 Beetles are the most problematic.
Old 01-04-2007, 07:45 PM
Super Moderator

Car: 2002 New Beetle 1.8T GLX

I always say get what you can afford. Try for 2002+. If convertible, 2004+. You can find many good bargains. Low mileage, reputable seller, appears cared for. The right one will "call out" to you. Trust me!

Welcome to the Org, and good luck!
2005 NBC 1.8T- Tornado Red
2006 Passat 2.0T- Blue Graphite
2003 NB Turbo S - UniRed
2005 V6 Touareg V6 - Campanella White
Currently:
2002 NB GLX 1.8T - White Paint
Old 01-06-2007, 10:25 PM

Thank you for all of your comments. They are very helpful in my search. I'm not a fan of "buyer's remorse" (who is) and I do a lot of homework before any major purchase. I'm a bit of a computer-geek, so I try to get as much information from the internet as possible.

Thanks again for all of your comments guys
Old 01-07-2007, 12:26 AM
Bug me again!

Car: 2012 Turbo, RED of course!

My Ladybug is a 98', and hearing so often of the potential problems, I don't even want to say anything so I don't jinx myself. Knock on wood, since I bought her in March 2005 with 132,000km , I had to replace the slightly-cracked radiator she came with. She's coming up to 169,000km now.
*going now to cross my fingers and toes, spit 3 times over the left shoulder, knock on some wood... Gosh, I'll be busy*
Here's a look at Ladybug

Last edited by LadybugEwa; 01-07-2007 at 12:42 AM..
Old 01-07-2007, 12:36 AM
2011 Honda Pilot EX-L

Car: white '99 2.0 GLS stick
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadybugEwa
*going now to cross my fingers and toes, spit 3 times over the left shoulder, knock on some wood... Gosh, I'll be busy*
Don't forget to cross your eyes...
"Reality is just that surreal time between my dreams" - me
Old 01-07-2007, 12:40 AM
;P

Car: Loco- a '04 Plat Gray 2.0 hardtop

I got my 2004 used with a certified preowned warranty best bet is to go with a new or used beetle from a VW dealership. the used one should have a certified preowned if its less then 5 years old.
Old 01-07-2007, 02:19 AM
Member Sponsor

Car: Techno Blue 01 GLS 5 spd

Supposedly anything after 2000 models are the best problemwise. I have an 01 with 37k miles and have had the waterpump replaced, temp sensor, and the airbag system in all bugs are garbage! The light comes on because VW uses crappy connectors.

2001 Techno Blue Pearl 5 spd GLS. Heated leather, fog lights, power sunroof, alloy wheels.
Old 01-07-2007, 02:25 AM
Bug me again!

Car: 2012 Turbo, RED of course!
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Margosian
Don't forget to cross your eyes...

*Ewa crosses her eyes at Alan and sticks out her tongue*

Hi Alan!
Old 01-08-2007, 02:26 AM
Achtung Baby

Car: 2006 KitchenAid Red NBC, '66 Ford Mustang

I have put 10k on my 2006 and so far problem free (I'm crossing everything now).
Old 07-05-2014, 10:29 AM

Car: 99 New Beetle
Default Really old thread but

I actually like the 1998 and the 1999 New Beetle I have had both years.
My 98 reached 207 without an issue,just just replace the water pump,tensioner and timing belt as a maintenance, if you dont know when it was done do it now and don't wait 80k miles the pump impeller are cheep plastic and fail.
I just replaced the water pump,tensioner and timing belt as a maintenance on my 99,
Also the 98 and 99 New Beetles do not have the immobilizer systems aka chip in the ignition key this means keys are cheep only for these 2 years.

my bug
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.