Lound noise when first backing up in the morning. - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > Discussion - Technical > Questions, Issues, Concerns, or Problems with the New Beetle

Questions, Issues, Concerns, or Problems with the New Beetle General discussion of New Beetle features, problems, and issues.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2007, 02:52 PM
An Air-Cooled Fan, Too!

Car: 2003 Platinum Grey Turbo S
Default Lound noise when first backing up in the morning.

I recently bought an '03 low-mileage Turbo S. Within the last couple of weeks, after I first start it in the a.m. and start backing outta my garage and driveway, it makes this quite loud noise as I just very easily apply or tap the brakes. The only thing I can approximate the sound to is the same sound a large iron gate makes sometimes when you open it, a loud low-pitch kinda "moaning sound," know-what-I-mean? It stops after I back outta the driveway and doesn't do it again after the car warms up. It doesn't do it again until I back out the next morning. The only thing I've done wrong with the car recently is drive away from the mailboxes after picking up our mail leaving the e-brake on, but only for a few feet since the car shortly makes a lound "ding" warning sound to release the brake. I didn't think I did any damage at all from making this small and brief error, and now don't even put it on while reaching for my mail, I just put it in neutral keeping my foot on the brake. Anyone else out there experience this noise while backing up in the a.m.? What's it due to and what can be done about it, if anything?
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2007, 04:57 PM
Send Money

Car: 2008 Scion xB 5-speed manual in Nautical Blue Metallic, 1999 Honda Shadow 750 ACE Deluxe

Only a guess, but you probably need new rear brakes. They tend to go at about 25k miles.
Television is more interesting than people. If it were not, we would have people standing in the corners of our rooms. If parents would spend less time worrying about what their kids watch on TV and more time worrying about what's going on in their kids' lives, this world would be a much better place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2007, 08:26 PM
An Air-Cooled Fan, Too!

Okay, thanx, any other guesses out there?
Old 03-26-2007, 04:16 PM
Member Sponsor

Car: 2002 NB TDI White 5-speed

Something similar happened to us too. It was very loud. It sounded like two metal pieces banging together when we backed up. It would do it first thing in the morning, and sometimes later too.

It went away after I pressure washed the entire underside of the car. My theory then became that something became tangled in one of the rear wheels, brakes, ABS, etc. and that the cleaning fixed it.

So that is one suggestion, pressure wash the underside, including the brakes and the suspension parts. Make sure though, that you do not point to the tires themselves with the pressure hose close to them, because you may damage the sidewall.

Even if it does not solve the problem, washing the underside would be good before anyone tries to take a good look down there.
Old 03-26-2007, 04:48 PM
Member Sponsor

Car: 2002 TDI GLS

Hey, who ran over my bike.

Now to be serious, I occasionally hear a low moan from the rear of the car as I am backing up. I have always attributed it to the parking brake shoes doing a little self-adjusting in its tiny drum. I also have not noticed any unusual wear on the rear disc that might be the result of a sticky caliper. Of course, YMMV.

Take care.
Old 03-26-2007, 05:14 PM
Lurker Status Assumed.

Car: 2000 Jetta GLS 2.0L

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2tdi
Now to be serious, I occasionally hear a low moan from the rear of the car as I am backing up. I have always attributed it to the parking brake shoes doing a little self-adjusting in its tiny drum. I also have not noticed any unusual wear on the rear disc that might be the result of a sticky caliper. Of course, YMMV.
Conversely, I have never had such a noise in the morning in either of my 2.0L Auto tranny cars, and I never use the parking brake at all.

Therefore, looks like a parking-brake-applied-for-long-periods-of-time problem.
Old 03-26-2007, 05:25 PM
Member Sponsor

Car: 2002 TDI GLS

I am in the habit of setting my parking brake. On further thought, it could also be the cable sticking a little bit in the housing and thus the brake would rub a little before fully releasing.
Old 03-26-2007, 06:19 PM

Car: 04 TDI PD

Funny you should mention it. I had the exact same problem just last week. It was the driver's side front wheel. The noise was very loud and similar to grating metal. I figured it was the wear indicator making itself known. It hasn't occurred since but I'm at 22K so I figure I'm probably due.

FWIW my brakes have always made a slight moan while backing up/braking from day one. I attributed it to self-adjusting.
Old 03-29-2007, 03:36 AM
An Air-Cooled Fan, Too!

No kidding?? Scheesh, this, to me, sounded quite abnormal!
Old 03-29-2007, 04:00 AM
OG Stalker

Car: Low & Slow w/ an .oz of Flavour

usually this is attributed to the rear rotors oxidizing from moisture in the air. With the ebrake engaged the rotors will not oxidize where the pads are but will oxidize around the pads. Since the pads sit so close to the rotor even when free, they will catch on this oxidization when first moving in the morning and until the oxidization wears off (the first time you use the breaks). The reason for the thump is that when you park in the evening you are moving forward when the brakes are applied and the ebrake engaged. When you leave in the morning you are reversing and thus the rear brakes catch and then shift abruptly since the rotors are spinning the opposite direction.

Its nothing horrible.
Old 03-29-2007, 07:20 PM
dunno513

Car: 06 TDI NB w/DSG
Default CV Joint most likely culprit

loud bang coming from the front end is usually the sign you need new CV joints, or axels (two per axel). Try turning the wheel both directions and backing up and see if it does it louder or softer.
Old 03-29-2007, 07:39 PM
An Air-Cooled Fan, Too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugasm99
usually this is attributed to the rear rotors oxidizing from moisture in the air. With the ebrake engaged the rotors will not oxidize where the pads are but will oxidize around the pads. Since the pads sit so close to the rotor even when free, they will catch on this oxidization when first moving in the morning and until the oxidization wears off (the first time you use the breaks). The reason for the thump is that when you park in the evening you are moving forward when the brakes are applied and the ebrake engaged. When you leave in the morning you are reversing and thus the rear brakes catch and then shift abruptly since the rotors are spinning the opposite direction.

Its nothing horrible.
No kidding? Izzat all it is? Nothing to worry about? Also, the noise is not a "loud bang" as suggested by the 2nd preceding post, but rather akin to the "moaning sound" a large metal gate makes sometimes when opened....
Old 03-29-2007, 07:47 PM
Lurker Status Assumed.

Car: 2000 Jetta GLS 2.0L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetlebomb
No kidding? Izzat all it is? Nothing to worry about? Also, the noise is not a "loud bang" as suggested by the 2nd preceding post, but rather akin to the "moaning sound" a large metal gate makes sometimes when opened....

If that is all it is then it's perfectly fine. Same thing happens after you wash you car and get some water on the rotors. It oxidizes the surface (you can see little rust-colored spots) and the squealing moan when you first brake is the pads cleaning them off again. Makes more sense than my "some kinda parking brake problem" idea, bugasm.
Old 03-29-2007, 07:55 PM
An Air-Cooled Fan, Too!

well, all I can say is that I had a '99 GLS prior to this '03 Turbo S and it never did it...
Old 04-08-2007, 03:36 PM

Same sounds here. On mine, I'm sure it's oxidation. If I let the car sit for a few days with p-brake applied, I'll get the noise. If it's more humid... more noise. Day after driving in the rain... more noise.
Old 04-08-2007, 03:40 PM
An Air-Cooled Fan, Too!

well my Turbo S hasn't made that sound for several days now and the weather's been dry....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.