$300 to replace oil pan, HELP!!!!! - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > Discussion - Technical > Questions, Issues, Concerns, or Problems with the New Beetle

Questions, Issues, Concerns, or Problems with the New Beetle General discussion of New Beetle features, problems, and issues.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2007, 02:37 PM

Unhappy $300 to replace oil pan, HELP!!!!!

I tried to get my oil changed and the mechanic said that I need a new oil pan. I am not an expert or anything when it comes to cars but I asked around and everyone I asked said wow your car only has like sixty something miles on it you shouldn't need a oil pan. Well I tried to take my car to another place to get an oil change later on down the line and they said they couldn't do it cus the other mechanic put a bigger drain plug in and they couldn't get it out!!!

I went back to the mechanic and he said i told you you need a new oil pan so we tried to plug it up so you wouldn't leak oil. He then told me he might not be able to do an oil change until I get an oil pan. What do I do guys? I can't continue to drive around without an oil change waiting for my engine to blow out and I don't have that type of money right now to get a new oil pan. Are oil pans really that expensive!!!

Thanx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2007, 02:46 PM
Member Sponsor

Car: 2000 Black GLS 2.0 5-spd

We need some information on your car, like year and engine. If it's just leaking around the fill hole then you should just be able to get it taped for a bigger drain plugg and be done with it.

Want something to give charactre to your bug, check this out
Old 04-12-2007, 03:16 PM
Cherchez la coeur...

Car: Oso - a black 99 GLS TDI

Sounds to me that if your car has only sixty-something miles on it, it shouldn't need an oil change.

If it has like sixty-something THOUSAND miles on it, it sounds to me like the first guy screwed up the oil pan and is trying to play it off.
Old 04-12-2007, 03:35 PM
Member Sponsor

Car: 2000 Black GLS 2.0 5-spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgwerks
Sounds to me that if your car has only sixty-something miles on it, it shouldn't need an oil change.

If it has like sixty-something THOUSAND miles on it, it sounds to me like the first guy screwed up the oil pan and is trying to play it off.
Find out exactly what is wrong with it and if it's leaking from the drain plugg then that guy probably did mess it up. He should then be the one to pay for it's fix.
Old 04-12-2007, 05:38 PM
Member Sponsor

Car: Techno Blue 01 GLS 5 spd

I had the same problem so I bought an oversized plug that actually enlarges the hole and has a rubber grommet at the base. I then put plumbers tape on the threads and installed it. Did the trick....for now.

2001 Techno Blue Pearl 5 spd GLS. Heated leather, fog lights, power sunroof, alloy wheels.
Old 04-12-2007, 07:40 PM

Sorry, my car does have sixty thousand something miles on it. The year of my car is a 2002. I am not sure what the engine size is. I bought it from a lady and she didn't have the manual. She told me it was a turbo but I don't think it is because it dosen't have the sign on the back.

The mechanic said it's leaking where the drain plug is and he put in a bigger plug to stop it from leaking. He has been telling me this for about almost a year. I just haven't had the money or done the research to see if it really cost that much. And how do I prove he put a hole in it if he did.
Old 04-12-2007, 09:06 PM
Member Sponsor

Car: Techno Blue 01 GLS 5 spd

Just open the hood. If is says 2.0, it's non-turbo. If it says 20V, it's the 1.8 turbo. Also, if you have the little wind deflector that raises at speed (located just above the back window), then it's the turbo. They don't all have the "TURBO" emblem.....not that this has anything to do with the oil leak anyhow. Either one can have the leak.
Old 04-13-2007, 12:52 AM
Faster Than Katrina

Car: 01 Sport

And if opening the hood is something a girl like you won't do .... look at the speedometer .... if it goes to 140MPH it is not a Gas Turbo ... if it goes to 160 it is. And if it is a Diesel .... you would have said .... but if it doesn't get 45MPG ... it is Gas.

That price is not too far out of line .... the pan is between 100 - 180. I would suggest getting the Hybrid pan that has a steel bottom if there is one for your undetermined engine, they were cheaper than the alloy cast (weak plug hole) pans, but at last check, looks like they have gone up 4 times the price. 60K is pretty long if there have been a bunch of air wratchet monkeys removing and tightening the plug in the quick oil change places.

As for quick oil change places, check out this video:
http://mfile.akamai.com/12924/wmv/vo...52183.200k.asx
Old 04-13-2007, 08:33 AM
180 Degrees out of faze

Car: 98 TDI NB.

One other option is to just leave the oil plug where it is, and use a vacuum pump to remove the oil from the motor. Quick, easy, and a whole lot cheaper than a new oil pan.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:11 AM

Toowoomba, South-East Queensland, Australia
Car: 2005 1.6l automatic sunflower

The vacuum pump is a good idea...otherwise check the wreckers for a good sump - it would have to be cheaper than new plus its something you could replace yourself.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:59 PM
Faster Than Katrina

Quote:
Originally Posted by hako
The vacuum pump is a good idea...otherwise check the wreckers for a good sump - it would have to be cheaper than new plus its something you could replace yourself.
Make sure it is one that was only worked on by a very anal mechanic, or you will end up with one with the same problem.
Old 04-14-2007, 12:51 AM

OH, USA
Car: 03 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by beetlebgyrl
I tried to get my oil changed and the mechanic said that I need a new oil pan. I am not an expert or anything when it comes to cars but I asked around and everyone I asked said wow your car only has like sixty something miles on it you shouldn't need a oil pan. Well I tried to take my car to another place to get an oil change later on down the line and they said they couldn't do it cus the other mechanic put a bigger drain plug in and they couldn't get it out!!!

I went back to the mechanic and he said i told you you need a new oil pan so we tried to plug it up so you wouldn't leak oil. He then told me he might not be able to do an oil change until I get an oil pan. What do I do guys? I can't continue to drive around without an oil change waiting for my engine to blow out and I don't have that type of money right now to get a new oil pan. Are oil pans really that expensive!!!

Thanx
This is actually, unfortuneately, a common problem. The drain plug is steel while the pan is aluminum. The quick change places over-tighten the plugs and tear up the aluminum threads in the pans. So yes, you need a new pan and $300 installed is not a bad price for parts and labor. Just make sure that whenever you get your oil changed that you tell them to make sure they don't cross-thread or overtighten your drain plug because you just had to buy a new pan and you'll know who's fault it is if it's ruined again.
Old 04-27-2007, 08:53 PM

Default Thanx

Thanx for all the good info everyone I appreciate it. As for the vaccum pump where can I get that and what is a sump; how can I replace it myself.

Old 04-27-2007, 08:59 PM
Administrator

Car: 2000 GLX Tekno-Blue/Grey 1.8t 5-spd

Pep boys, autozone, walmart.

They all sell those vacuum pumps. If you're not sure what you're looking for ask for "A pump to do an oil change through the top of the engine". Most anyone who knows of it should know instantly what you're talking about.

60K, sure it's possible the drain plug is stripped; it sounds like he 'plugged' it. A new aluminum oil pan will cost you about $100 from germanautoparts.com . Ask some friends if any of them do their own mechanic work, ask if a new oil pan is a big deal.

The hole is a big deal, but the pan's easy to get to, and it's not ALOT of work to replace, but you should probably know what you're doing before you/they attempt it. It's one of those pieces that's easy to do, kinda easy to screw up if not careful, and very very bad if you screw up. If you're careful it's completely easy.
Old 04-27-2007, 09:00 PM
Administrator

Car: 2000 GLX Tekno-Blue/Grey 1.8t 5-spd

If you bring your mechanic the $100 part, he might cut you a better deal.

Open your hood, let us know what the engine says on top. If the plastic cover is missing there's other ways to figure out your engine type.
Old 04-28-2007, 03:36 AM
Bug me again!

Car: 2012 Turbo, RED of course!

Here's one on eBay. Looks like a reasonable price too...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-V...09105515QQrdZ1
Here's a look at Ladybug
Old 04-28-2007, 03:39 AM
Faster Than Katrina

Make sure you have the same pan as that one ... there are two models, one for a low oil sensor and one without.
Old 04-28-2007, 04:18 AM
OG Stalker

Car: Low & Slow w/ an .oz of Flavour

where are you located? You might want to see if there is someone around you that could replace the pan for less then the $300 quoted. If you were local I would do it for you.
Old 05-07-2007, 06:29 PM

I had the same problem.
I broke down and let them change mine for $400. Mine is a 2001 2.0.
Old 05-08-2007, 06:40 AM
Ride it like you stole it

Car: 2000 Beetle 2.slo GL

I have the same prob.... The last shop to change my oil stripped the plug when I had my trans serviced and oil changed they re-tapped the plug but it leaks like crazy!!
Car has been sitting for over a week now!!
Ordered the replacement from Germanautoparts.com the one with the steel bottom half.... cost with sealant and o-ring for oil pickup around $115 plus shipping. It should be here in couple days and I will change it myself...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.