sunroof opens on its own? - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > Discussion - Technical > Questions, Issues, Concerns, or Problems with the New Beetle

Questions, Issues, Concerns, or Problems with the New Beetle General discussion of New Beetle features, problems, and issues.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2007, 02:50 AM

Default sunroof opens on its own?

We never use the sunroof on our 2003 NB TurboS. Twice now I've been surprised to see it left open. When I check it, the knob is turned to close. Fortunately it hasn't rained into it, but I have no idea what is going on. Any thoughts?

Last edited by AmazinglySmooth; 07-14-2007 at 03:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2007, 04:14 AM
Member Sponsor

Car: 2003 GLS 2.0

Maybe it's trying to tell you something Honestly though, I have no idea.
Old 07-14-2007, 04:22 AM
TDi GO!

Car: '10 Jetta TDi Black

Wow...that sucks. It is full open, not just vented?? Gotta be a short or someone playing tricks...

Wendy Rotar 1974-2008
Online Memorial & Guest Book

Old 07-14-2007, 04:25 AM

Actually it is only in the vented position, but not fully vented. To close it, I turn the key and dial it vented then to closed. First it fully opens then closes.

I pulled fuse #30 hoping to keep it closed--it is supposed to rain tonight.

Any thoughts? This has happened twice.
Old 07-14-2007, 04:30 AM
TDi GO!

Car: '10 Jetta TDi Black

The fuse sounds like good call, as long as that is the sunroof and doesn't effect anything else. I've never heard of this before. Never seen this with my wife's '01.

I do know you can close the sunroof with the key. Just like you can close the windows, turn to lock and hold it. If the windows are already up the sunroof should close. That doesn't explain your issue, though.

It is a Turbo S...someone might be taking him for joy rides...
Old 07-14-2007, 08:03 AM
Moddin' Lion

Car: '95 E320, '04 986

My (former) '00 does this from time to time. It's funny.

-Des

Old 07-14-2007, 01:46 PM
TDI Lover

Car: 2003 GLS TDI Platinum Gray

My 2003 was doing this too seems to have stoped on its own just like it started. Worst part was when it did it in the middle of thw winter opend with a loud bang because it was frozen shut. Just another one of our wierd problems.got to love our bugs

Don
Old 07-14-2007, 06:08 PM
Where is home ....

Car: 2003.5 GLS BLCC (Zoomer)

My 2003 does this sometimes while Im driving around.
Old 07-14-2007, 10:07 PM
TOD7- 5,1-3 Let It Ride!

Car: Cup- y2k Blk nB GLS 1.8t

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_merry
Maybe it's trying to tell you something Honestly though, I have no idea.
Funny you say that, cause that's the first thing that came to mind. It would make a good commercial. All kidding aside, I wish I could tell ya.
Old 07-01-2008, 01:15 AM

Question Same sunroof-opening problem on my '01 VW NB

I was just trying to solve this problem so I can get it figured out before the rainy season comes again. I'm wondering if this could be a problem with a short circuit, but it doesn't make sense that it happens when the key isn't even in the ignition. It's so bizarre!

I saw that someone was having the same problem on their Passat and did a detailed step-by-step explanation of how they fixed the problem here: http://www.passatworld.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=238398

Last edited by shannou; 07-01-2008 at 01:31 AM..
Old 07-01-2008, 01:35 AM

Well, I sold my S about 8 months ago and never determined the cause. I just pulled the fuse so it wouldn't be a problem.

Cheers
Old 09-14-2008, 10:43 PM
aka the Volkswagen Fairy

Car: 2002 1.8 liter Turbo Snap Orange Color Concept
Default Cue Twilight Zone Music

Hey,

That happened to me this week and I thought I was losing my mind, (cue Twilight Zone music). I got in my NB after work, and found that my sunroof was vented open. Unfortunately it had rained, and it got a little wet. The dial was on the "closed" position. I was wondering if someone else's keyless entry where I work contacted it and mde it pop up? Either that or she's possessed. She's a 2002.

Reenie

Studebaker Warren Zevon
Old 09-30-2008, 04:16 PM

Car: 2002
Default Wierndnessess

I have had the same issue,,,,I thought all the problems I've had were my car only.....Alarms chime off and on at will, engine lights flash when they want, dash falls off when touched, radio display states "SAFE" (WTF), driver seat heater no longer works, a piece of front fender like a triangle disentangled itself and ran away in dismay. Sometimes the intermittent chimes, beeps, blurps will cause the battery to die...this will happen if you leave it alone over a weekend...When you return, it is dead.

Sorry to go on and on and on and on
Old 09-30-2008, 04:18 PM
Where is home ....

Car: 2003.5 GLS BLCC (Zoomer)

driver seat heater might be something totally different. The heater inside might be burned out.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:55 AM
Richey Rivers - '99 Turbo

Car: 1999 Turbo
Default Sunroof randomly vented open

Experiencing the same random problem with the sunroof being randomly open in the vented position when I didn't open it. I just turn the knob to open then closed and it closes just fine. I just find it weird. I thought maybe there is a secret, like I turned the key in door and it popped up, but that's not it. Anybody else got a good answer? i just worry about it being up in the rain. Can't seem to isolate what triggers it, unless it's a gremlin that can't be predicted.

thanks
R
Old 07-28-2012, 01:35 AM

Default Gremlin in Sun roof

My 2002 Turbo is experiencing the same issue with it opening seeminglyon its own. Since this was posted (VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum the fellow on this thread a while back I'm wondering if anyone else has come up with a fix?
Old 09-29-2013, 09:42 AM

I've never had this problem, but I had a similar problem with my truck randomly opening. It fixed itself when I accidentally drained my battery by leaving my lights on, then charged it. Obviously I'm not suggesting you try that to fix it, but has anyone tried to disconnect the battery for a bit and then reattach it to see if that helps?
And bagg10ns, is that piece of your fender about the size of your fingernail? I've got a piece like that on my fender, but the PO told me that the guy who owned it before them tried to self install a europlate and made a mess of it. They said they had it fixed, but Idk if they replaced the whole fender piece or if they just filled it in with putty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.