Fuse Block On Top Of Battery....... - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > Discussion - Technical > Questions, Issues, Concerns, or Problems with the New Beetle

Questions, Issues, Concerns, or Problems with the New Beetle General discussion of New Beetle features, problems, and issues.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2007, 04:21 AM
New Beetle Accessories

Car: 1998 New Beetle, 2003 Eurovan, 1978 Superbeetle Convertible, 1979 Westfalia, 2002 New Beetle
Default Fuse Block On Top Of Battery.......

Two questions for those of you that have had the fuse block on top of your battery melt because the cooling fan fuse burned up:

Did you ever find a concise reason as to why the fuse overheated?

And, after you replaced the fuse block, has the problem happened again?

After 9 years and 75,000 miles, ours melted the other morning. I put a new fuse in, limped the car home and replaced the fuse block. I also replaced the OEM 30 amp fuses with some aftermarket 30 amp Buss fuses. Everything is working correctly (fans, ABS, etc) so I'm hoping the problem won't happen again.

Thoughts & comments???
Volkswagen Club of America

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Crown Royal in one hand - Cigar in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO, What a Kick Ass Ride!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2007, 01:33 PM
Administrator

Car: 2000 GLX Tekno-Blue/Grey 1.8t 5-spd

I haven't replaced any of the fuses or the block yet. ...

Let me know how it goes?

I did have a fan problem that caused the issue. Replaced the fan a while back, haven't messed w/the fuses yet though.
Old 09-16-2007, 12:32 AM
Rusto King

Car: See Sig

the cable that comes from the alternator was not giving consistent amperage, spiking causing the fuse block to have problems. Replaced the cable and the fuse block.... so far so good.
Old 09-16-2007, 04:38 AM
New Beetle Accessories

Car: 1998 New Beetle, 2003 Eurovan, 1978 Superbeetle Convertible, 1979 Westfalia, 2002 New Beetle

OldSkool,

How did you know that the alt. cable was bad??? And how much did it cost to replace???
Old 09-16-2007, 04:06 PM
Rusto King

Car: See Sig

took it to the dealership and had em diagnose it.

Our was a lil bit of a mess, because the PO (or crappy dealership we bought the car from) wired around the fuse problem (I didn't notice this when we bought the car). So the AC and everything worked for the first month or 2 we had the car (then it was winter), the following summer no AC. We figured the car was just old and might have had a leak, so we took it to the dealership and found all these issues when they got into diagnosing the AC issue.

Where the factory fuse panel had been wired around they had used a smaller gauge wire, with inline fuse holder. Because of the spikes the plastic on the wire had melted, the plastic fuse holder melted and the freaking plastic on the fuse had melted a lil.

In the end we spent about 400 IIRC to get everything fixed. The cable wasn't too expensive (I don't have my paperwork easily accesible since we moved and stuff is still all over). If I find it I will post up my price for the cable and the part number.
Old 11-13-2007, 01:23 PM

Default My fuse block melted down too.

The fuse block melted and obliterated three fuses.

The problem seems to be corrosion on the non-copper (some cheap alloy) fuse contacts in the fuse block.

When the cooling fans come on, such as when the A/C is on, there is like 18 amps going across a 20 amp fuse. The current is below the fuse rating, so the fuse doesn't blow. But the knife-edge of the contact against the blade of the fuse is a small contact point, and it heats up and burns, especially if some corrosion builds up. Then it burns, but the plastic doesn't really support combustion, so once the current welding on the fuse blade stops adding heat to the fire, the fire puts itselft out.

All of this happening on top of the battery, which from time to time burps explosive hydrogen gass...

I replaced the fuse block, and use a dab of Kopr-Kote anti-seize compound on each fuse blade as a contact improver and corrosion preventer. No problems since then, 220,000 kms ago.

Mathew Banack
81 Rabbit Pickup LX diesel
98 Beetle TDI
03 Jetta Wagon (wife's)
Old 07-30-2008, 02:35 AM
Bobbi's right hand man

Car: 1991 MR2 Turbo, 2002 Eclipse GT

Just replaced the 30 amp fuse farthest to the left tonight. One of the connectors had melted the plastic around it and the fuse came out in pieces. This car is full of surprises.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.